Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Hi I'm Chris from the UK

I'm a 26 year old self employed builder/plasterer. I'd describe my overlanding skill as Novice, although I scrutineer and marshal off road events for a local club so do a lot of technical 'off roading' in a near standard vehicle. For this I run a Daihatsu Fourtrak (Rocky or Rugger overseas) which has a 2.8td lump and is tough as old boots, although rust lets them down big time. I've done several 500 mile trips in it (Wales) 70% on road probably as we're not particularly blessed with legal mileage of byways etc here and it's been reliable as anything. 2 years of competitive off road use and not broken anything mechanical, which laughs in the face of the Land Rovers its up against.

Before you go thinking I'm a hardcore mud plugger that's not what I'm about. I like to drive independently and take in the scenery, to me there's nothing better than getting out and being able to look after yourself. My girlfriend and I often get strange looks when we're cooking a full breakfast out of the back of the truck, sat in two chairs, drinking tea and taking in the view.

I recently discovered Overland Bound on Youtube and I am currently building my first 'overland' vehicle as we speak. I heard about the forum and noticed the build thread section. I am currently building up another Daihatsu, I'm on a budget but capable of doing all the work myself. The body is currently on jack stands and I am removing all the rusty bits and replacing with new metal. I plan to get a build thread going shortly, the plan is to finish the truck for this years Adventure Overland Expo in Stratford. As soon as we can afford to we plan to hit Europe, with the Pyrenees in mind for our first real taste of Overland, we've got to start somewhere.

Here is a picture of the off roader, the new truck build is pretty well the same model just has an opening sunroof that doubles up as an escape hatch... Japanese ingenuity. The new build will be on a Galvanised chassis and will be modified end to end for our intended use, I may be a bit overkill at times but I like to be prepared.

Anyway I hope you find the build interesting and look forward to some advice/constructive criticism from real overlanders.

Thanks

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hi I'm Chris from the UK

I'm a 26 year old self employed builder/plasterer. I'd describe my overlanding skill as Novice, although I scrutineer and marshal off road events for a local club so do a lot of technical 'off roading' in a near standard vehicle. For this I run a Daihatsu Fourtrak (Rocky or Rugger overseas) which has a 2.8td lump and is tough as old boots, although rust lets them down big time. I've done several 500 mile trips in it (Wales) 70% on road probably as we're not particularly blessed with legal mileage of byways etc here and it's been reliable as anything. 2 years of competitive off road use and not broken anything mechanical, which laughs in the face of the Land Rovers its up against.

Before you go thinking I'm a hardcore mud plugger that's not what I'm about. I like to drive independently and take in the scenery, to me there's nothing better than getting out and being able to look after yourself. My girlfriend and I often get strange looks when we're cooking a full breakfast out of the back of the truck, sat in two chairs, drinking tea and taking in the view.

I recently discovered Overland Bound on Youtube and I am currently building my first 'overland' vehicle as we speak. I heard about the forum and noticed the build thread section. I am currently building up another Daihatsu, I'm on a budget but capable of doing all the work myself. The body is currently on jack stands and I am removing all the rusty bits and replacing with new metal. I plan to get a build thread going shortly, the plan is to finish the truck for this years Adventure Overland Expo in Stratford. As soon as we can afford to we plan to hit Europe, with the Pyrenees in mind for our first real taste of Overland, we've got to start somewhere.

Here is a picture of the off roader, the new truck build is pretty well the same model just has an opening sunroof that doubles up as an escape hatch... Japanese ingenuity. The new build will be on a Galvanised chassis and will be modified end to end for our intended use, I may be a bit overkill at times but I like to be prepared.

Anyway I hope you find the build interesting and look forward to some advice/constructive criticism from real overlanders.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your build thread.

Reactions: Godforsaken Customs

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

Hey guys! My name is Nathan and I would consider myself a moderately experienced off-roader, but a novice Overlander.
I live in the Denver Colorado area.
This is our current rig. We pull a tent camper with it and love exploring the US by road. We just started our little family so we need something fairly large and comfortable. We also currently have a Land Rover Discovery 2 but it has a surprisingly bad backseat for car seats. So the plan is for my wife to take the Commander and I am gonna sell the Disco and buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ to build out for local mountain adventures.
Excited to be a part of this community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hey guys! My name is Nathan and I would consider myself a moderately experienced off-roader, but a novice Overlander.
This is our current rig. We pull a tent camper with it and love exploring the US by road. We just started our little family so we need something fairly large and comfortable. We also currently have a Land Rover Discovery 2 but it has a surprisingly bad backseat for car seats. So the plan is for my wife to take the Commander and I am gonna sell the Disco and buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ to build out for local mountain adventures.

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking rig.

Reactions: IronPercheron

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hi I'm Chris from the UK

Thanks
Welcome to the forums!

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Were glad to have you here at OB. Welcome!

Airmapper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello. I'm on several other 4x4 / Overland forums, figured I would at least set up an account here. Unfortunately it does not seem you have many members local to me, but should things pick up at least my foot is in the door.

I am acquainted with a member you have near Cincinnati, not sure if he uses the username I'm familiar with here, but he gave you a good word.

I drive a 2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X, not significantly modified in most aspects that matter.

And photos. RTT installed this weekend. Awning going on soon as it comes off back order.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Hello. I'm on several other 4x4 / Overland forums, figured I would at least set up an account here. Unfortunately it does not seem you have many members local to me, but should things pick up at least my foot is in the door.

I am acquainted with a member you have near Cincinnati, not sure if he uses the username I'm familiar with here, but he gave you a good word.

I drive a 2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X, not significantly modified in most aspects that matter.

And photos. RTT installed this weekend. Awning going on soon as it comes off back order.

Mad Nissan Love...

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX

Welcome to OB mate good to see another Nissan driver on bored

Reactions: NorthStar96

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Welcome to the forum. It's a young forum but growing every day. Really nice group of people on here and a very friendly atmosphere. Awesome rig btw. Sweet RTT.

Reactions: NorthStar96