Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
We are the Jacksons. Chris and Susanne. We started this off roading thing two years ago due to a good friend of mine insisting I needed adventure as I was recovering from an accident. We took our GMC Sierra 2500 and immediately fell in love with 4 wheeling back roads. Our daughter purchased a 1998 4runner and she loves to wheel. We sold our RV and traded my wife's car in for a 2016 Toyota 4runner built nicely. In fact it was previously owned by an overland bound member. We are excited to continue the adventure of this rig.
Hello Chris & Susanne, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
My wife and I are new to all this. We’ve enjoyed hiking and exploring the world. We get around. The picture is of my proposal on top of the volcano Mount Nyiragongo in the Congo.

Overlanding feels like it could be a very natural fit for us. That being said, It's an entirely new experience for us. We only bring some camping experience and mall crawling our old Jeep.

New rig is 22 2D Rubicon that will be getting its lift and wheels next week.

We plan on hitting a trail with the jeep next weekend along with some hiking and if we stumble across a brewery, it won’t hurt my feelings.

Oh, and we are on the East Coast. A little north of Virginia Beach.
Hello Eddie, welcome to the OB family and thank you for your service.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello! Prior rock crawler here. Wife and I now looking to overland, hike, camp and whatever else outdoors. Recently purchased ‘21 Unlimited Rubicon XR as our rig. Based out of Houston, TX area.

Thought we wanted to overland and after recent trip to Big Bend NP we agreed we were right. Can’t wait to learn and hear others adventures.
Hello Harold (@LNDSHK ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Southwest Region Member Rep for Texas. The other is Corey (@Coreymol).

The Houston area has this meetup here: Recurring Bryan College Station Meet-up

The one we attend is in Round Rock: Recurring - North Central Texas Meet & Greet

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello from Chattanooga!
Not sure I would call myself and overlander, but I love to camp in off the beaten track kinds of places so maybe I am. We have been using my wife's 2wd Renegade as our adventure vehicle for the last 3 years. Which with 3 of us and a dog is quite a feat. Getting all of our camping gear in there is not easy. That being said, we took a month long 4500 mile road trip from TN to Glacier NP and back last summer in it. camped 18 out of 30 days. It was amazing, but stressful come pack up time. That prompted me to figure out something better.

I bought a RTT and built a trailer to tow behind it, but it became very obvious that the Renegade was not the right vehicle for this. So I started to look for a more capable tow vehicle. I know I know, NOT the time to do this. But I lucked into a really sweet 08 Tacoma SR5 DCLB 4x4 with 163,xxx and a bunch of upgrades for around $15K ( I think that is a great deal in this market)and I jumped on it. Here she is:
View attachment 226165
Upgrades include: Aftermarket exhaust, k&N filter, 17" 4 runner wheels, add a leaf rear suspension, updated LED headlights and foglights, aftermarket Alpine radio, weathertech floor mats. I am sure I am missing a few. Have no plans on doing many more upgrades. Don't have plans to do much serious off-roading other than forrest service roads and some minor stuff.

Here is the trailer I built from a ragged out old 4x6 carry-on.

View attachment 226166
We just took it out for it's maiden voyage a couple weeks ago, plan on getting out for 3 days this weekend. So far it has performed very well.
My goal with the trailer is to take some of the stress out of camping. It used to be me the night before trying to shoehorn everything into the Renegade. Now everything lives in the trailer and is ready to go. Grab some clothes, swing by the grocery store and we are out. If you want more info on trailer build I have a write up here.
It is still a work in progress.

Also, wanting to do an easily removable buildout in the back of the truck for those times that we don't need or can't bring the trailer. Wife and I in back of truck, 10 yo son and dog in back seat. Going to do a platform with a kitchen slider and storage underneath.
Hello Chris, welcome to the OB family.

AT4OB

Rank VI

Member III

Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Selden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTS423
Service Branch
Army
Hello y’all, Jeremy here with OperationAT4OVRLND. Always loved the idea of overlanding and I’m excited to finally get into it along with my wife and daughter!

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Novice to overlanding, some intermediate off road experience, avid hiker and camper

Attachments

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello y’all, Jeremy here with OperationAT4OVRLND. Always loved the idea of overlanding and I’m excited to finally get into it along with my wife and daughter!

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Novice to overlanding, some intermediate off road experience, avid hiker and camper
Hallo Jeremy
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Hello Jeremy, welcome to Overland Bound!

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Welcome to Overland Bound, Jeremy!

SCPO16

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, Virginia, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mason
Member #

Service Branch
Navy - ISCS retired
I have been a member since 2017, but have now retired and actually have time now to really participate. Look forward to engaging with folks from Virginia and surrounding areas .
Hallo chuck
Welcome out
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden
Thank you. I will send some info on my rig and experience soon.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Hello Jeremy, wife and daughter, welcome to Overland Bound.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Hi Jeremy and welcome to Overland Bound!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have been a member since 2017, but have now retired and actually have time now to really participate. Look forward to engaging with folks from Virginia and surrounding areas .
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for checking in to the intro thread here. Have fun and enjoy!

Greetings from Europe
Bjoern

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education

New England region
22 GMC Canyon AT4
Sweet build. Welcome Jeremy. Enjoy the benefits of this awesome community. If you have any questions everyone is stoked to help you out.

Best wishes form Europe