First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello, my name is Dick...easy to remember
Rig...well not really but maybe some day. 2002 Subaru Forester. Bone stock. An probably my 2020 Kawasaki z900rs too.
As far as experience I used to be into off-road trucks in early 20s. I've always ridden dirt bikes and I started building motorcycles for the past 7 years or so. Before overlanding was overlanding I loved camping in the back of my blazer and carried that on traveling very minimally and camping off a motorcycle. I traveled all over with a change of clothes, a tarp, some Paracord and a survival knife.
I decided that I wanted to take my kid and wife partially up the TWAT to do some weekend Glamping. I've been on the trail here and there by koto and it's a really mild route so the fozzy will be just fine. This is how I learned about overlanding and glamping haha. Seeing a community like this gets me excited for what's to come from this little family experience I have planned. Trying to start small and get the family into it. Then maybe some mild Subaru mods and some other vehicle in the future. I like the Xterra Pro 4x personally but a lifted subie is pretty dang good for my plans.
Hello Dick and welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello All,

I am Kevin and have been overloading since childhood, off roading (bikes, truck, buggy) I have a family and love sharing the time with them.

Riverside CA. 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crewmax Platinum 4x4:
  1. Alpine ILX207 with light controller and integrated cameras F/R
  2. JL Audio Slash 500x1
  3. JL Audio Slash 300x4
  4. Diamond HEX600's front & rear
  5. Two JL Audio 10TW3-D4's
  6. Midland MXT115 GMRS Radio
  7. President Bill II CB
  8. iKamper-mini
  9. Smitty x20 12,500 synthetic rope winch & custom winch mount
  10. Custom rock sliders
  11. ARB Snorkel
  12. K&N Filter
  13. Genesis dual battery
  14. Victory 4x4 roof rack, bed rack, belly skin's
  15. BFG AT KO2's: LT305/55/r20's (yeah wheels are next up)
  16. Next up is going to be Fuel Tank upgrade to 40 gallon (:grimacing:)
Been into off road and camping, overloading, anything in the great out doors. I have been off roading since 5 years old and got on 125 mini-bike in the hills of Southern Ca. I would consider myself Experienced at breaking stuff and fixing stuff. I have been doing it for years, but small breakage, not roll truck over type stuff, ok this one time but for another day.....
View attachment 205579
Hello Kevin and welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: waterkc

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello Fellow Land-Vikings!!
Live in the PNW, retired military, new to owning a truck and to over-landing. Purchased my 2021 Ram; "TANK", in March, and have did a couple things to it already (rack, and RTT).
Joined the forum to find out about more places to disperse camp here in WA. State, and maybe make a friend or two. :grinning:
Skol! ~ Son of the Norse

View attachment 205398

Hello , Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @Ubiety is your closest member representative.
To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).
Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.
Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.
Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.
Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.
Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.
Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.
Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.
Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Good evening from Georgia. My name is John Newberry and I have a 1978 Ford Bronco custom that I have been putting back together for the last 7 years.
Originally from Burbank, CA move here in 1980 and have been here ever sense. This weekend will be our first overland trip as we hit the GA Traverse, should be loads of fun. Thank you all for the opportunity to become a member. Good night.View attachment 205489
awesome 2nd Gen, very clean looking FSB. Personally the 78 is my favorite year of the FSB.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello, my name is Dick...easy to remember
Rig...well not really but maybe some day. 2002 Subaru Forester. Bone stock. An probably my 2020 Kawasaki z900rs too.
As far as experience I used to be into off-road trucks in early 20s. I've always ridden dirt bikes and I started building motorcycles for the past 7 years or so. Before overlanding was overlanding I loved camping in the back of my blazer and carried that on traveling very minimally and camping off a motorcycle. I traveled all over with a change of clothes, a tarp, some Paracord and a survival knife.
I decided that I wanted to take my kid and wife partially up the TWAT to do some weekend Glamping. I've been on the trail here and there by koto and it's a really mild route so the fozzy will be just fine. This is how I learned about overlanding and glamping haha. Seeing a community like this gets me excited for what's to come from this little family experience I have planned. Trying to start small and get the family into it. Then maybe some mild Subaru mods and some other vehicle in the future. I like the Xterra Pro 4x personally but a lifted subie is pretty dang good for my plans.
Hello Dick, welcome to the OB family.

Reactions: Shahn

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello All,

I am Kevin and have been overloading since childhood, off roading (bikes, truck, buggy) I have a family and love sharing the time with them.

Riverside CA. 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crewmax Platinum 4x4:
  1. Alpine ILX207 with light controller and integrated cameras F/R
  2. JL Audio Slash 500x1
  3. JL Audio Slash 300x4
  4. Diamond HEX600's front & rear
  5. Two JL Audio 10TW3-D4's
  6. Midland MXT115 GMRS Radio
  7. President Bill II CB
  8. iKamper-mini
  9. Smitty x20 12,500 synthetic rope winch & custom winch mount
  10. Custom rock sliders
  11. ARB Snorkel
  12. K&N Filter
  13. Genesis dual battery
  14. Victory 4x4 roof rack, bed rack, belly skin's
  15. BFG AT KO2's: LT305/55/r20's (yeah wheels are next up)
  16. Next up is going to be Fuel Tank upgrade to 40 gallon (:grimacing:)
Been into off road and camping, overloading, anything in the great out doors. I have been off roading since 5 years old and got on 125 mini-bike in the hills of Southern Ca. I would consider myself Experienced at breaking stuff and fixing stuff. I have been doing it for years, but small breakage, not roll truck over type stuff, ok this one time but for another day.....
View attachment 205579
Hello Kevin, welcome to the OB family.

Reactions: Pindal and Shahn

jmbdefender

Rank 0

Contributor I

Harare, Zimbabwe
First Name
Jean
Last Name
Blake
Hi folks!

My name is Jean-Michel, (french name translated as John-Michael roughly!).
I live in Harare, Zimbabwe and drive a Land Rover Defender.
It is my second 4x4, previously I owned a Land Rover Discovery 1.
I have done very few modifications to the vehicle, as it has met all my needs thus far. I have owned it for 5 years, and done about 65,000km. I do basic maintenance myself and use the Landy to go into various parts of the country, mostly our National Parks and wildlife areas, where I work as a Professional Safari Guide.

Great to be a part of this community.
Cheers

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi folks!

I have done very few modifications to the vehicle, as it has met all my needs thus far. I have owned it for 5 years, and done about 65,000km. I do basic maintenance myself and use the Landy to go into various parts of the country, mostly our National Parks and wildlife areas, where I work as a Professional Safari Guide.

Cheers
Hello Jean-Michel, welcome to the OB family.

raburton12

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Ellijay, Gilmer County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Hello, I’m Rob and I’m completely new to Overlanding. This all started with my desire to build out a camper van, which I did. I took a Ford Econoline 150 (paid $1100) and gutted it and built out the inside on my own. Which is a great accomplishment for me because I have ZERO carpentry skills!!! I built the van because I wanted to get out and see the less visited spots and that is the only way I knew to do it. Somewhere along the way I was introduced to Overlanding. But I didn’t have a vehicle to do that with so I sold the van and bought an “Adventure” camper. Long story short, I don’t like pulling something. So that brings us to the present, I’m in the process of selling my camper to put towards an SUV to build out (slowly and cost effectively) as a vehicle to get out on the backroads.

As of this moment I don’t have a vehicle but I’m leaning towards a Toyota 4 Runner or something similar. I’d love some input on this. What are the best mods to make first?

Anyway that’s the short version of what brought me to Overland Bound.

Looking forward to meeting some new people and getting out on the dirt.

Rob

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Hi Rob, welcome here. I also joined just recently and have little experience in what you see on Youtube as overlanding. My experience is more along the lines of off-grid camping, motorcycle camping, car camping etc.

I have a 4Runner, but since I don't want to go too much in to vehicle details here in this thread, my main "mod" was to just get to know the vehicle. Most 4Runners out of the box are more than good enough to backroad and off-grid camping with, I certainly know that mine is. So, I'd say, get whatever vehicle you think meets your needs, then just go out with it and only change/mod what actually limits you in doing what you want to do. More money saved means more money spend on actual adventures ... ;-)

See you around here ...

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Rob! Check out my build. (Link in my signature). I have a very capable 2000 4Runner that could be a great platform for you to check out as you make your choice. Holler if you have any questions, or list in the 4Runner registry. All my decisions I’ve made so far have come from OB members with decades of experience and I couldn’t be happier with it.

SLO Rob

D

Deleted member spartan430

Greetings! Happy to be part of Overland Bound. I’m retired from the Army. I overlanded a lot when I was in the Army. All over the US Western Deserts, Middle East and Australia. Fun times. Heading to Overland Mtn East in August. I recently added the AEV Snorkel and am due for new tires. Looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. I just moved to TN from the NC mtns to look after my 97 y/o Uncle. So my overlanding will be slowed for the time being. Looking forward to many future adventures. Stay safe! Mark

Attachments

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hi folks!

Cheers
Hello Jean-Michel and welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello, I’m Rob and I’m completely new to Overlanding. This all started with my desire to build out a camper van, which I did. I took a Ford Econoline 150 (paid $1100) and gutted it and built out the inside on my own. Which is a great accomplishment for me because I have ZERO carpentry skills!!! I built the van because I wanted to get out and see the less visited spots and that is the only way I knew to do it. Somewhere along the way I was introduced to Overlanding. But I didn’t have a vehicle to do that with so I sold the van and bought an “Adventure” camper. Long story short, I don’t like pulling something. So that brings us to the present, I’m in the process of selling my camper to put towards an SUV to build out (slowly and cost effectively) as a vehicle to get out on the backroads.

As of this moment I don’t have a vehicle but I’m leaning towards a Toyota 4 Runner or something similar. I’d love some input on this. What are the best mods to make first?

Rob
Hello Rob and welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Greetings! Happy to be part of Overland Bound. I’m retired from the Army. I overlanded a lot when I was in the Army. All over the US Western Deserts, Middle East and Australia. Fun times. Heading to Overland Mtn East in August. I recently added the AEV Snorkel and am due for new tires. Looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. I just moved to TN from the NC mtns to look after my 97 y/o Uncle. So my overlanding will be slowed for the time being. Looking forward to many future adventures. Stay safe! Mark
Hello Mark and welcome to Overland Bound! Thank you for your service!!!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi folks!

Cheers
Hello Jean-Michel, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Rob
Hello Rob, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Mark, welcome to Overland Bound. Thank you for your service.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Name is Jason, and just got my F150 a little over a week ago. Can't wait to get out there, explore. We typically do Broken Bow, OK; Grand Lake, CO; and other locations.

I have zero experience in overlanding, or four wheeling in general.
Hello Jason, welcome to Overland Bound.