Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Guess I better introduce myself.
We are Dave and Angela currently based in Cyprus but not for much longer as are prepping for a year long trip exploring Turkey and Europe.
Drive a Land Rover Defender 90 Tomb Raider which is upgraded with 2 inch Lift, Dual Battery System, additional fuel tank, water tank and filtration etc, the list goes on.
We also tow an ex British Army Sankey Wide Track Trailer with Roof Tent and modified by me with 50 litre water tank, electrics, solar charging, high capacity pumps.
Have limited big adventure overlanding experience but have done shorter trips and travelled extensively world wide.
Look forward to making your acqiuntance and hopefully learning more and expanding my experience.
Thanks for having me.View attachment 11318
Wow, sounds like exotic travel destinations. I'll keep my ear to the ground on your adventures.
Thanks,
Jim

Reactions: Polaris Overland

0to60in11minutes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Near Boston MA
Member #

We are based out of Northern MA for the time being but will be heading to points west, north and south.
1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia with a 2004 Subaru Forester EJ25 soon to be AWD.

Back in 2013 I got struck by van fever. I scoured ebay, the samba, and craigslist looking for vehicles in my price range that weren't total rust buckets. I found a 86 full camper in southern maine, loaded up my work truck with a trailer and headed out to pick it up. Once arriving I noticed that the photos were much older than they were advertised as. Rusted through seams and wheel wells, no exhaust were just a few of the stand out items I noticed. I declined and sadly headed home with an empty trailer. Later that night a new ad popped up on craigslist and I quickly emailed the seller. Making plans to drive the forty-five minutes to look at it the following day. The husband and wife greeted me gleefully in the driveway as I backed my trailer up to the van. Negotiations then took place, I countered his $2,500 offer with $1,200 seeing what wiggle room I had. His wife quickly elbowed him in the ribs and whispered something in his ear, followed by him reaching his hand out and saying "you've got a deal". Awesome I wasn't expecting that to be so easy. The following year was a rebuild of the vans basic systems, I went through the suspension and brakes and tuned up the engine which fired right up after some new gas, a fresh battery and new ignition system components. I have since gone through a few different engines, survived a catastrophic engine failure which cumulated in a fire from the crank rod that went through the block and metal fuel lines. Driven The entire eastern seaboard. Been on multiple ferry crossings(its not overlanding until your vehicle crosses atleast one body of water on a boat). I look forward to being apart of this community, and will be creating a build/travel thread soon.

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

We are based out of Northern MA for the time being but will be heading to points west, north and south.
1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia with a 2004 Subaru Forester EJ25 soon to be AWD.

Back in 2013 I got struck by van fever. I scoured ebay, the samba, and craigslist looking for vehicles in my price range that weren't total rust buckets. I found a 86 full camper in southern maine, loaded up my work truck with a trailer and headed out to pick it up. Once arriving I noticed that the photos were much older than they were advertised as. Rusted through seams and wheel wells, no exhaust were just a few of the stand out items I noticed. I declined and sadly headed home with an empty trailer. Later that night a new ad popped up on craigslist and I quickly emailed the seller. Making plans to drive the forty-five minutes to look at it the following day. The husband and wife greeted me gleefully in the driveway as I backed my trailer up to the van. Negotiations then took place, I countered his $2,500 offer with $1,200 seeing what wiggle room I had. His wife quickly elbowed him in the ribs and whispered something in his ear, followed by him reaching his hand out and saying "you've got a deal". Awesome I wasn't expecting that to be so easy. The following year was a rebuild of the vans basic systems, I went through the suspension and brakes and tuned up the engine which fired right up after some new gas, a fresh battery and new ignition system components. I have since gone through a few different engines, survived a catastrophic engine failure which cumulated in a fire from the crank rod that went through the block and metal fuel lines. Driven The entire eastern seaboard. Been on multiple ferry crossings(its not overlanding until your vehicle crosses atleast one body of water on a boat). I look forward to being apart of this community, and will be creating a build/travel thread soon.
Welcome to the forum 0to60! I LOVE Westies! I had a 77 for a while with an unidentifiable engine in it and a shifter that tore up my shoulder...but I still miss it. Have fun!

jturn21

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey everyone just stopping by to say hello. My name is Josh. Currently living in Richmond VA. I just starting researching overlanding and came across this website and have been seeing how good this community is about helping each other. I hope that I can learn from everyone here and become apart of the community. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ttwixxxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hey all,
Been lurking for a while and decided to join in. I recently acquired a 2005 4Runner Sport V6. Found OB while researching the purchase and it rekindled my desire for outdoor/4WD experiences. First upgrade was tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3's). I'll be spending some time in the tech forums looking for some guidance on rust interdiction on my undercarriage. Michigan winters equal salt and this rig is showing some signs of it on the frame. Looking forward to a great experience here.
JC
Welcome! I'm from SE Michigan too!! I use spray in bed liner for my frame, seems to work good. Just touch it up every now an then.

Reactions: Shake

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

New guy from NJ

Hi, my name is Rey and I'm pretty new to the overlanding world, been offroading for about 12 yrs but the camping aspect was never there.

I drive a LWB 91 Montero Ls, love the truck as it hasn't let me down yet. Shes lifted 3" on 35s but the big mods are coming soon. Currently prepping for the Overland Expo in NC.

View attachment 11402
Welcome!

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hello everyone,
My name is Dmitriy. Im from Sacramento, CA.
Been a camper, offroader and overall explorer since I had a driver license. Done a few long distance trips as well. (Does that qualify me as a overlander?)

Have had quite a few rigs over the years. My current project is a triple locked 80 Series Land Cruiser. I do fabrication on a side, so most of the work will be original design. Here is a pic of my 94. Its still a work in progress. Im just finishing up the suspension and drivetrain.

Here is my 92 LC that I sold last year.

My first 4x4 was a 1998 Mitsubishi Montero, I still have it. Its another work in progress thats kind of been on the backburner for a while. It was what got me really interested in 4x4 world.

Right on you joined! Welcome brother.

Reactions: Dmitriy_STELLAR

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm Michael, as well. But I'm not him, I'm me. Glad that's cleared up. I've loved wandering around off road since my dad gave me a BMX bike when I was little. I've always been drawn to isolated places, sometimes taking "on road" vehicles where they have no business being. I'm also an auto enthusiast. I wanted to share a cool pick of my truck, but this pic better describes my kind of crazy. Yes, that's all ours. We lived on the road for two years, but I couldn't leave it all behind! Now I'm working in St. Louis, looking to continue exploring a new area.993552_833414086784638_4094560023198542579_n.jpg

Last edited:

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yea!! Recieved my member badge (2604). We are currently camped at Kissemee Prairie Preserve, and International Dark Sky Park. My husband bought this small travel scope for ' gazing..... unbelievable sky last night. I continue to pick up ideas and solutions for our big trip to Ak. - Amy :)

IMG_20161208_134735.jpg IMG_20161208_134038.jpg

Motor Gypsy Pair

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Barranquitas, Puerto Rico
Member #

Hi All!

We are Mary and Leon... #2555 and @motorgypsypair if you wander instagram. We are taking The Next Big Leap and moving to Puerto Rico! It's a long story... our's usually are... but we are so excited! Our 1986 Toyota 4runner is on the boat right now floating her way there. Our other rig is a 1990 Suzuki Samurai... she is staying in Florida for now. We have been wandering overland for the last ten years. Found this group and HAD TO JOIN! Look us up if you head to the island!
20161206_101647.jpg 20161208_144640.jpg

Last edited: