Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok, understood. I’m still learning. I guess I’m just looking for help in navigating the site as well as the system. Thanks for your time.
Take your time browsing the forums via the web pages... once you get an understanding there, the app makes sense.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Ok, understood. I’m still learning. I guess I’m just looking for help in navigating the site as well as the system. Thanks for your time.
It just takes a little navigation on the site lol!! It can be over whelming but there is tons of useful info here. Im still figuring it all out myself! As or maps...I am new to using GAIA and ive used alltrails for my backpacking. I also have various book/paper maps just for reference. I haven't found a perfect app yet. There is an app called iOverlander that I just downloaded but haven't gotten to try and use yet. It is supposed to be pretty good also. Youtube is actually a good resource for trails also.

WestCoast4x4

Rank III
Investor

Traveler III

Walnut Grove, BC, Canada
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BDM
It just takes a little navigation on the site lol!! It can be over whelming but there is tons of useful info here. Im still figuring it all out myself! As or maps...I am new to using GAIA and ive used alltrails for my backpacking. I also have various book/paper maps just for reference. I haven't found a perfect app yet. There is an app called iOverlander that I just downloaded but haven't gotten to try and use yet. It is supposed to be pretty good also. Youtube is actually a good resource for trails also.
There are seriously too many options right now. Ioverlander is good, Gaia, trail ranger, and now the integrated maps into the overland bound app. Only problem I'm having so far with the overland bound app is limited items in Canada, however will need to build that up over time I guess. Good luck on your search.

Reactions: Lil Bear

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
What are some good resources for off road maps?
I have GAIA loaded up on both my iphone and my ipad that are with me when I off-road. I also carry a Delorem for the state I am in as well as the Wells book if it is available for that state.

Often times, I will also hit Trails Offroad before a trip and download GPX files into GAIA for trails I may want to check out.

Then, if available, try to grab a hard copy of the MVUM or local forest service map, in case all else fails miserably.

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

depends on state your going to. funtreks has some great books showing what trails are rated by easy to hard. if you use a garmin they sell same maps in an sd card. but either way is fine. i use either waze or google maps to get there the gaia for the trail saved. experiment see which works best for what device you are useing.