Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Don't know how long really, seems like others are doing it in 4-5 nights maybe?
This from MacKenzies writing, 200 plus years ago... when men were men.

The people told Mackenzie that they had traded with the people of the coast by traveling overland to the West. It took six days of travel they said and the trail was easy, without mountains and had been traveled so often that the path was well marked.

Sure hope we can do it faster. lol

Reactions: Ubiety

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I think the Expedition Overland folks took a boat ride to get to this rock. Planning on rewatching their series starting tonight ;)
Yes, and the Mid Coast BC Ferry goes past it too. You guys from WA might look at that as an option to return home. Bella Coola to Port Hardy by ferry, and down the Island Highway to Victoria, and the ferry Coho to Port Angeles.

DSC_0014.JPG

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This from MacKenzies writing, 200 plus years ago... when men were men.

The people told Mackenzie that they had traded with the people of the coast by traveling overland to the West. It took six days of travel they said and the trail was easy, without mountains and had been traveled so often that the path was well marked.

Sure hope we can do it faster. lol
When men were men... Familiar with Dick Proenneke? Go watch "Alone in the Wilderness" one of my favorite movies of all time, my son always gets trapped when it is on.

From what I am seeing it could be 5-7 days. That said I would not feel like less of a man if we did a partial run.

Started re-watching Expedition Overland's first Mackenzie series vid and they stated they were using Hema to specifically map the trail for Hema. Could not find the tracks on Hema so I decided to go to EO's web site and found their GPS data! Will be cool to compare with what we already have.

Late night, early morning. This workday is winding down. Mackenzie video time ;)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

sorry, apologies, never meant be offensive, rather just a deep respect for those who went where no one had ever been.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
sorry, apologies, never meant be offensive, rather just a deep respect for those who went where no one had ever been.
@Billiebob - you did not offend me. Not sure what you mean. Was just thinking about the quote "when men were men" and my mind immediately went to Dick Proenneke. Apologies if I said something that offended you. I'm good. ;)

Ok, spent some time really going though the GPX.
- I think Expedition Overland starts the trail later than the beginning. Might be the beginning of 4x4 trail. I marked where I think they entered.
- Expedition Overland exited the trail earlier than I had planned. Dunno again, good to have more data - there's is from a 4x4 and not a hiker.
- Added a bunch of POIs and camp spots along the trail. (Will add the mountains and other stuff)

GPX legend
- Purple - my routes from Quesnel to possible trail starts.
- Black/Green alternating - EO's daily tracks, tracks are in chunks and alternated colors to keep track of what is what
- Red/Blue alternating - the first set of tracks that I added last night. Alternating to make it easy to see the chunks

I hope that the colors come through for all. Getting pretty good data set now.

GPX viewer

Attachments

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka in the original movie. If you have not seen the original you really should, especially if it is your favorite!

I was trying to be funny and imply that Gene Wilder wasn't GW, and was WW.... The original is the only version I've ever seen. Well over 100 times. Used to know every line in the movie.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I was trying to be funny and imply that Gene Wilder wasn't GW, and was WW.... The original is the only version I've ever seen. Well over 100 times. Used to know every line in the movie.
I love you man ;) Gene Wilder is THE benchmark! There was almost war at my house when the new one came out, daughter is a huge fan of Derpp or whomever was in the new one. @Heidi and I hit back hard though!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I ran away from the computer lmostly and watched the entire Expedition Overland series last night - pausing and running to the computer to record little gems of info. I have a lot of the worst water crossings / bogs in the GPX, mountain peaks, camp spots and EO's nightly camp spots (and other stops). Pretty cool experience - felt like I was living their trip and I have way more of an intimate knowledge of their trip. Chainsaws and chainsaw supplies... The next version of the GPX will be a big improvement; want to do more route cleanup first.

@shortbus4x4 the more that I look at the maps the more I realize that there is a lot in this area and we can taylor the trip to be anything that we want. As I said before I don't really care what we hit or miss just want to have fun, be safe and make it home unscathed ;)

Gas could be a big issue for me as the JKU has limited interior space and I am not super excited about having gas inside... Per my understanding of Canadian law.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I'll probably be in a pickup so would have room for gas cans. Not sure what the ferry regulations are for gas cans though if I take it from Bella Coola. Will have to look and see.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I'm definitely intrigued by your trip idea. Decided to use the morning to watch the XOverland series, and this would be definitely a different environment for me coming from Southern CA. Also curious on how difficult it would be doing it in my F-150.

Following this thread. If the dates you choose line up and I can take roughly 2 weeks off work, I am interested.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I'm definitely intrigued by your trip idea. Decided to use the morning to watch the XOverland series, and this would be definitely a different environment for me coming from Southern CA. Also curious on how difficult it would be doing it in my F-150.

Following this thread. If the dates you choose line up and I can take roughly 2 weeks off work, I am interested.
Your F150 should be able to make it as long as you're not worried about scratches and such. Skid plates, bigger mud tires, and good recovery points will help alot.
I'll probably plan on 2 weeks off so I can do some exploring on the way up and back.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

another write up from 2005..

I think this might be 30 years too late for me, looks like a challenge eh. Be cool to meet you guys coming out but it is beyond me.

Last edited:

BRM88

Rank 0

Contributor I

Calgary, AB, Canada
First Name
Bill
Last Name
GAVIN Dunbar
Anybody interested in putting together a group to do the Mackenzie Trail in BC? Looks like a difficult track that will take some planning and coordination but I cannot get it out of my mind. I would need to do some upgrades to the Jeep beforehand so am looking at a date a year, or so, out.

Just wondering if there are others who want to make this happen.
Hey,
I would be in for i trip like this... and with a year it should be np to plan n prep.
Cheers!

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Your F150 should be able to make it as long as you're not worried about scratches and such. Skid plates, bigger mud tires, and good recovery points will help alot.
I'll probably plan on 2 weeks off so I can do some exploring on the way up and back.
Not worried about scratches anymore. Already have some chips from gravel. Eventually may wrap it anyways. My goal is to have my truck fully upgraded within a year or two. Not sure if I will have mud tires though as this is also my daily driver.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I ran away from the computer lmostly and watched the entire Expedition Overland series last night - pausing and running to the computer to record little gems of info. I have a lot of the worst water crossings / bogs in the GPX, mountain peaks, camp spots and EO's nightly camp spots (and other stops). Pretty cool experience - felt like I was living their trip and I have way more of an intimate knowledge of their trip. Chainsaws and chainsaw supplies... The next version of the GPX will be a big improvement; want to do more route cleanup first.

@shortbus4x4 the more that I look at the maps the more I realize that there is a lot in this area and we can taylor the trip to be anything that we want. As I said before I don't really care what we hit or miss just want to have fun, be safe and make it home unscathed ;)

Gas could be a big issue for me as the JKU has limited interior space and I am not super excited about having gas inside... Per my understanding of Canadian law.
Part 1, @ 14.25....... And a reminder to self: mosquito netting for head/face!

Just got done binging on it myself. Yep. Lots of "young man" work with chainsawing and timber moving... Looks like a lot of hard work and fun! Mosquito repellent, repellent, repellent and netting, netting, netting!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Part 1, @ 14.25....... And a reminder to self: mosquito netting for head/face!

Just got done binging on it myself. Yep. Lots of "young man" work with chainsawing and timber moving... Looks like a lot of hard work and fun! Mosquito repellent, repellent, repellent and netting, netting, netting!
We are going to have to find some young men to bring along! ;). Errrr, you know what I mean. ;) Mosquito netting for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I recall Bella Coola had the worst mosquitos I've ever seen, but that was on the coast,
the Caribou is much higher, Colorado style, closer to the stars and all.