M715 Adventure Rig

• HTML tutorial

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
It finally happened! We test drove it for the first time today! And it went pretty well! The tires are downright awful in the snow but otherwise it went ok. We also have to figure out why the charging system isn't working and fix a few other things. But it worked!!! That was so satisfying to drive it again! We'll have a video soon from today. I'll post it when I have it.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
While waiting for the replacement injector and IAC valve to get here, I've been fiddling around with some of the smaller projects. I finally was able to finish installing the windshield wipers and sprayers! I'm really happy how they came out. They have self-park and appear to be synchronized. Not too bad for $200 or so. I just need to finish installing the wires and they'll be good to go.

While I was working on that, John was working on the gauges. He was able to get all the back lights working, the GPS speedo to work, and voltmeter to work. Once we have the sending units wired for the fuel, oil, and water temp gauges, they should work too.

Then today I was able to modify the battery box to incorporate a radio and speakers. I went with marine ones so they should be fairly water resistant. I'm planning on running by the store tomorrow so I can get speaker wire and an antenna hopefully.

Lastly, parts are also on the way to finally hook up the parking brake. We have plenty to do but I may be able to take it for another spin this weekend (weather permitting).

Reactions: MazeVX and J.W.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
alright, so my new fuel injector came in Friday after work. I checked it's resistance with my voltmeter and it looked good. So I installed it, reinstalled the upper intake and started it up. it was running well for a moment then I started smelling gas and saw quite the cloud coming from the tailpipe. I hooked up the code reader and this time I had "Open circuit injector 8". So... the intake came back off. That injector tested ok so it has to be the old and brittle connectors. I ziptied all of the connectors to the injectors so hopefully this will keep them all firing.

Next, I finally got around to hooking up my parking brake. I had to modify my handle bracket a bit but we made it work.

After that, I finished my cover plates for the trans cover and seals.

I also fabb'd up a bracket for my radio antenna so that part of the project is finished!

At this point, the truck is a driver! The only thing keeping me from driving out of my neighborhood is my lack of seating. Hopefully the seats finish reupholstery this week but I'm not super optimistic on that one. That didn't stop me and John from making a run to the store at the end of my neighborhood. And now with the pavement drying I gave it some throttle. And WOW! The torque and power this thing has! It really takes off! It still feels a bit like a tractor from the bumpy ride and long throw on the shifter, but now it's a fast tractor! It should have no problem getting up to speed on Michigan's 45mph roads. I'm still not 100% on making it to 65mph but I'm going to need to if I want to make it to Utah. I might try to find a hood retainer of some sort. I really don't wan't that to fly up on the highway...

Next up are tent mounts, rock sliders, roll bars, and finishing the sending units for the gauges.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
The first big accessory was added over the weekend! I finally got my tent installed after it has sat in the garage for a year! I spent most of Sunday fabricating my mount bars and they came out pretty ok!

The next part was the tricky bit. getting the tent onto the truck and where I wanted. It took John and I about 2 hours but that was mostly us trying to be very precise with our measurements since I was going to be drilling into the bed rails for the load bars. I think it turned out great! Just like I pictured it! It seems like its quality is solid and I honestly can't wait to go camping with it!

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Long time no update. I've been on the road for the past month and I'm finally home so I can start fiddling with the truck again. Unfortunately, due to everybody's favorite virus, Easter Jeep Safari has been cancelled. This is really disappointing and crushing. I've been working towards the goal of building my truck and driving it to EJS for 2 years now. We were really pushing hard here at the end but now the stress is off I guess.
The upside of no real deadline is a more lax work pace. So I'll focus on drivability, safety, sand usability. Here's my todo list at this moment:

1) Seats. need them
2) exterior lights to 12v
3) roll cage
4) hitch receiver
5) rock sliders
6) winch bumper

Granted this is all dependent on the strength of the economy after all this blows over. I'm due to get my seats back this weekend and I'm sourcing lights now. After that, I can coast if I need to.

Anyways, here are the fun pics! I got my new front turn signal housings installed. They don't match the patina but they have the added benefit of not being rusted together. I got the ones with the amber lenses since I figured people are usually looking for orange.

I also was able to clean up the interior a bit. I gave the dash and door tops the boiled linseed oil treatment. It came out really nice! Unfortunately, the white paint disappeared a bit but oh well. I can't believe how much nicer it looks! I don't think I'll do the rest of the truck though. I like the rough and weathered exterior with the nice interior contrast.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Alright, so here is what I've been waiting for for about 3 months now, my seats! they have new foam on top and what is rapidly becoming my favorite leather! It's so soft and the color is perfect!

The fit is a little tight under the steering wheel but the foam should start to compress over time.

The truck works so well! The V10 is surprisingly tame but that's likely due to the gears. It's still mind blowing that it can start a 5th gear pull at 20mph! I was able to test it in highway conditions too! 60mph seems to be it's sweet spot. At 63mpg there is a wicked resonance that may be the heater box or something. but it sounds awful. And if you push up to 70mph, the engine doesn't mind but there's a lot of vibration and the truck feels a little uneasy there. So... 60mph it is! I think as long as I hang out in the right lane, people won't mind.

The bad news is that when I went to refill the gas tank, there was a wicked leak. As in, gallons of fuel on the road... I got home quickly then dove under the truck to see what was wrong. It turns out, the "fuel-resistant" rubber that I had used for a gasket, wasn't so fuel resistant. It weakened, expanded, then ultimately failed leaving a gaping hole between the module and the tank...

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...70&oe=5E9D60C3

Unfortunately, this meant the tank had to come out. So I borrowed a bunch of gas cans, drained and dropped the fuel tank, and I reset the module neck. I cleaned all the surfaces, and scuffed up the metal of the tank and the plastic of the neck. I then used some cork gasket material this time and a liberal application of fuel resistant sealant. I'll be putting the tank back in this morning after letting the sealant cure overnight. Hopefully this does the trick.

To end the post on a good note, here are some pictures I took of the truck while it wasn't in the driveway!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have a 99 RAM 2500 with the V10. You picked an awesome motor for your rig.

It will pull out on the flat in 4th gear. You can put it in first and climb all day never touching the gas. And that is in 2wd.

Put it in 4 lo and man, power for anything.

Plus it really likes to cruise in 5th gear.

V10 Magnum and a 5speed with a clutch is my favorite combo.

Reactions: joe.schigel

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
I have a 99 RAM 2500 with the V10. You picked an awesome motor for your rig.

It will pull out on the flat in 4th gear. You can put it in first and climb all day never touching the gas. And that is in 2wd.

Put it in 4 lo and man, power for anything.

Plus it really likes to cruise in 5th gear.

V10 Magnum and a 5speed with a clutch is my favorite combo.
It seems pretty good so far! It does like 5th a lot. I'm super grateful to have overdrive now.

yesterday I was able to finish my fuel tank leak repair. It seems to be holding for now. hopefully it can hold up to the fumes and gas exposure this time.

To test my fix, I did what anyone would do and filled the truck back up and drove around. while I was out, I stopped and took a pic with a Huey!

While I was there, a gentleman approached me and started talking to me about the truck. He knew a lot about them and then he told me he had one in a nearby hangar. He wanted to show me it so I obliged and was greeted to a very clean forest service 715. Pretty cool stuff! My truck has been on the road two days and it's already making friends! haha

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Alright, it's been a minute since I've posted an update but I've got two things!

1) I welded on a hitch receiver to the rear crossmember so I can use a bike rack and tow my small boat!

2) John put together the video of us installing the tent! Give it a look if you're curious about what goes into installing one of these things.

I probably won't make much progress for a while due to COVID and the automotive industry taking a nose dive... we'll see how this goes.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Another fiddly bit was addressed today; my brake light switch. The hydraulic one that came with my proportioning valve is too sensitive and turns the lights on even when I'm not pushing the pedal (or it will stay on). So I got a plunger style switch and made a small bracket on the pedal assy to hold it. Looks like it works so far.

Now I'm waiting on new tie rod ends to arrive so I can refresh the steering as well as some legs for my rock sliders. It'll be slow progress for a bit but the truck is almost done done!

What's left on the list:
- rock sliders
- tie rod ends
- winch and bumper
- roll cage

Reactions: MazeVX

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Well,
I don't have any pictures but I was able to install new tie rod ends a couple weeks ago. Drive's so much better now! No nasty wobbles! I've just been fiddling with it and fighting brake issues since then. I discovered my adjustable proportioning valve (that was hooked to both front and rear axles) was causing pressure to build and not release in the brakes. It would get bad enough that all 4 wheels would lock and not allow the truck to move. I tried replacing the master cylinder but that had not effect. Removing the prop valve entirely eliminated the issue. So now I'm waiting on a new valve that will install only on the rear axle line. This way I can keep the rear from locking before the front under hard braking.

Other than that, I took it to a friend's house yesterday. I drove about 90 miles on the highway at 60-65mph. It did really well aside from fuel consumption. I'm estimating 5mpg... woof. We'll see once I refill the tank but initial estimates are impressively bad. I may put different axles and gears under it sometime in the future. but for now, she's good! drives well and no issues!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Well,
I don't have any pictures but I was able to install new tie rod ends a couple weeks ago. Drive's so much better now! No nasty wobbles! I've just been fiddling with it and fighting brake issues since then. I discovered my adjustable proportioning valve (that was hooked to both front and rear axles) was causing pressure to build and not release in the brakes. It would get bad enough that all 4 wheels would lock and not allow the truck to move. I tried replacing the master cylinder but that had not effect. Removing the prop valve entirely eliminated the issue. So now I'm waiting on a new valve that will install only on the rear axle line. This way I can keep the rear from locking before the front under hard braking.

Other than that, I took it to a friend's house yesterday. I drove about 90 miles on the highway at 60-65mph. It did really well aside from fuel consumption. I'm estimating 5mpg... woof. We'll see once I refill the tank but initial estimates are impressively bad. I may put different axles and gears under it sometime in the future. but for now, she's good! drives well and no issues!
Really like the truck! We have one around the farm that was converted to a 300 straight 6, I wanted to buy it and build it out but one of my coworkers got to it before me. Not sure who you're using for parts but I've had pretty good luck with Boyce Equipment out of Utah. We have 11 M900 6x6's and that's where I go for for parts.