Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

I just got mine home last night! I have the same issue with the back being cut off, except mines previous owner cut the entire back off, so i will need to figure out how to redo the rear corners. But I ordered a tailgate, so let the adventure begin! Good luck with your build, I'll be checking back in with you!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Cool, guys, nice to see M416 and other trailers getting a new life. I have both an M416 and a Bantam T3-C and did a slew of research on parts, etc.

You can find out a lot of what others have done at Steel Soldiers and there's a lot of solid info on trailers at Vintage Military Trucks, Trailers. There's also a place in eastern PA, I think it is, who imports a lot of parts from the Philippines for these trailers, like back gussets where the tailgate goes, floor panels in original config, etc. Can't find the link right now, but will search for it if you don't know about them already. He and his wife are very knowledgeable about these trailers, which years had what, what is commonly done to correct bad mods, etc.

Mine are both for sale right now in the Trailers section of the Overland Buy Sell Trade section of the forum: M416 and the Bantam T3-C, if you know anyone who might be interested.

Good luck with yours, guys!

Reactions: GeoYota

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Are you planning on a top? I built a 416 style trailer, My tail gate is narrower than the pictured one . I also used an inset tail light, I tend to break them on occasion, Ron

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

Sorry I've been behind on the work on the trailer. After welding a patch for the hole in the bed the sheet metal got warped and I decided to cut it out. This was really the best way to go as it will be more durable over the long haul and give me a firm and solid base to build the tail gate out of. IMG_2164.JPG IMG_2167.JPG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2175.JPG

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

I wanted to keep the original axle because the hand break and the suspension work perfectly. I decided to go with wheel adapters to change from Jeep bolt pattern to Toyota. I was a little concerned about the fit but these seem to be very well made and work as advertised. I had to cut the original lugs down half an inch or so so the second half of the adapter would mount correctly. IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2109.JPG IMG_2110.JPG IMG_2113.JPG IMG_2107.JPG I

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

Got a lot done today. New tires and rims on the truck so the old ones go on the trailer. Now I will be running same tires and wheel backspacing on truck and trailer. I think when its done the trailer may be more capable than the truck.IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2191.JPG IMG_2192.JPG IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2194.JPG

Reactions: pierceg and Road

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

Biggest hurdle completed today. I was worried about my fabrication skills and building a workable/durable tailgate. It's not going to be hefty enough to hold a tire but I'm thinking of mounting an external first aid kit in a pelican case and a fold down table on the insideIMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2196.JPG IMG_2197.JPG . Its all down hill from here.

Reactions: Kent R and Road

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

I’ve been helping my brother with his M416 and he mounted the first aid pelican case on the rear.

You trailer is looking great.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I was thinking of doing the same thing with my pelican first aid kit. When I put the sheet metal on I think I'm going to attach it to the inside of the tailgate. That way if I want to attach another mount or have something else off the back I can just attach it to the square tubing without removing the sheet metal.

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

Q: How much does this type of trailer weigh? What are you pulling it with? How much weight are you going to be allowed to load in it?
I have thought about doing something like this myself. Thx.

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

Q: How much does this type of trailer weigh? What are you pulling it with? How much weight are you going to be allowed to load in it?
I have thought about doing something like this myself. Thx.
The trailer weighed 550lbs or so before I did anything. After upgrading everything it now weighs 680lbs. My intention was to keep it as light as possible so it is easily towed by my 04 Tacoma and does not hinder my off roading ability. They were originally built as a 1/4 ton trailer so 500lbs is what it was designed for. However, These little trailer are overbuilt from the beginning and I have heard of guys putting over 1000lbs in them. Fully loaded with 15 gallons of water and 15 gallons of extra fuel plus camping and other supplies I will be under 1100lbs. This will change after I add a roof top tent. I have not upgraded the suspension at all and it rides very nice even when unloaded.

Reactions: Graeman

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

Howdy & thanks.
So being totally new to all this & not knowing enough to know...
I'm eyeballing an M1102 ('07 Silver Eagle Cargo Trailer, item: 1408374) on the GovPlant.com website, but I'm unsure of it being a right fit for my Jeep with a tow rating of 2,000 lbs. The trailer itself weighs 1,460 lbs. Doable? Undoable?

Any other trailer folks please chime in. Thx.