Looking for recommendations for new tires.

• HTML tutorial

DaveMnn

Rank II

Contributor III

Neptune City, NJ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mennuti
Member #

Hello. I have a 2020 Ram 1500. Looking to upgrade my tires. I have stock 18” rebel wheels. Looking for any recommendations from full-size truck overlanders. Thanks everyone one in advance.

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
I’m a big fan of Nitto and Toyo tires. Have had many of each. I’ve been running the Ridge Grapplers for a while now. Just coming in at the end of their life now. 51000 miles on them. I just ordered a new set of tires this past week. Going back with Nittos but with the new Recon Grapplers. I have a Crewcab longbed Cummins and I tow 10k regularly and am terrible about rotating tires. I’ve only done this once in 50000 miles. What I like is how even they wear, and how little weight they take to balance. I’ve had the Toyo M/T and A/t and they are the same…. Im a bit more partial to Nittos hybrid tires though. The best of both worlds

Reactions: DaveMnn

DaveMnn

Rank II

Contributor III

Neptune City, NJ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mennuti
Member #

I’m a big fan of Nitto and Toyo tires. Have had many of each. I’ve been running the Ridge Grapplers for a while now. Just coming in at the end of their life now. 51000 miles on them. I just ordered a new set of tires this past week. Going back with Nittos but with the new Recon Grapplers. I have a Crewcab longbed Cummins and I tow 10k regularly and am terrible about rotating tires. I’ve only done this once in 50000 miles. What I like is how even they wear, and how little weight they take to balance. I’ve had the Toyo M/T and A/t and they are the same…. Im a bit more partial to Nittos hybrid tires though. The best of both worlds
That’s awesome information thank you. I’m going to check all those suggestions out. Greatly appreciated

G8TR05

Rank III

Steward III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I am on my 2nd set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They look great, are ruggedly built, and are excellent in mud, sand, snow, and loose rock. Falken have a new model out, the AT4W. When it is time for my 3rd set, I will get those.

pyro.rocket

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Virginia, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Chaalan
I know this thread is a little old but I just got a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T and I love them. They are the best tires I’ve ever had. Highly recommend!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I was a fanboy of all things BFG since the early 80s. A few years ago my tire friend dared me to try General Grabber ATs and sweetened the pot buy giving me a nice discount. That was 55,000 miles ago this past summer. I put a new set on just before our Dempster run. No flats, no cuts, no bruises. I’ll be using Generals from now on.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

There is a guy out of Idaho that has t youtube chanel that rates all kinds of tires. He looks at mud, show, sand, crawling and road driving. he gives great info. My favorite get me there and home without a lot of drama.

kevine001

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Eng
So prior to COVID, I was running the Goodyear Wrangler Dura-tracs and I had also had BFG KOs. The Dura-tracs were on my 100 series LC and my '17 Tundra. In 2020, when things were quiet, I ordered a set of Atturo Trail Blade XT. From what I researched, the folks who started this company were from a big brand tire company (Michelin?) and designed more affordable offroad truck tires. I got a set of four 285/65/18's for under $1000, brand new. For the price, I was extremely skeptical so I searched for weeks. The company when it first started had very poor quality tires. In 2020, I believe the company had been around for over 10 years, and their quality had greatly improved. The Trail Blade XT is a hybrid tire. Wide tread on the outer part of the tire, tighter lugs in the center for pavement. Helps with noise, MPG and wear. I've had mine on since April 2020. Their 285 runs slightly narrower than other brands, but I prefer it on a full size truck when going down fire roads. At four years old, they probably have at least 50% of the tread left, but I only put between 7-8000 miles per year on my truck. They've been good tires.

I've had friends use the Falkens and one of my best buddies ran Nittos. He's now using BFG KO2. Between the original KO and KO2, the 2 used a softer compound. Better for offroading, but they wore out faster (similar to the Duratracs). The Duratracs/KO2s and some others, despite being softer are not only better offroading, but have excellent siping, for water, snow, etc. I've heard that the KO3's went to a slightly harder compound, so they found a middle ground that will still provide excellent traction but wear longer. If I cannot get another set of Atturos, I will be considering the KO3s. No issues with the Nittos, Falkens, Kendas and all the other brands, but I've had KO's before and liked them.

My tire choices are based on using my truck for camping/hunting and fishing. 75% of my driving is on pavement getting to the dirt, or getting to a dock for a fishing trip. If your rig is on dirt more than 50% of the time, I would probably go with one of the softer compound tires, as they provide much better traction. But they will wear out faster.

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

You can pry my all terrain BFG TA KO2's from my cold dead hands...

2016 silverado ltz - 315.70.r17

Last edited:

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I bought an H3T with General Grabbers on it. Color me unimpressed. Noiser than the Wildpeaks. Worse wet traction than the Wildpeaks. They are OK off-road.

I hate to replace tires that still have life left in them but I'm past ready to replace the Grabbers with Wildpeaks.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I bought an H3T with General Grabbers on it. Color me unimpressed. Noiser than the Wildpeaks. Worse wet traction than the Wildpeaks. They are OK off-road.

I hate to replace tires that still have life left in them but I'm past ready to replace the Grabbers with Wildpeaks.
Interesting, GM trucks do have a long reputation of not getting along well with different brands of tires including BFGs and Generals. A friend of mine has a Colorado with Generals on it and after only 25,000 miles they are noisy and cupping. On the other hand, my first set lasted forever, as I recall 55,000 and still plenty of wear, and my most recent set with 20,000 on them still look new.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
All trucks cup the front tires heavy now. You have to rotate every 5000 miles.

Or drive only in a straight line, with the rear tires coated in butter. It's the Ackerman setting (or lack there of). Massive scrub in tight turns.

Work trucks are plagued with this. As they maneuver in tight allies and parking lots 4 times a day.