looking for intel on gila national forest for upcoming trip...

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i were headed back to the swamps from phoenix a few years ago and somehow ended up in silver city. the pizza there was nasty, but we stayed at the historic palace hotel and really enjoyed that. it looked like a nice area and since we were on a bit of a time constraint, we didnt get to explore the surrounding area, but vowed to do it at a later time...

well, its a bit later and it sounds like the gila national forest is worth driving to see. i did the gratuitous google search looking for info and signed up for the new mexico tourist magazine online and even ordered a new mexico map on amazon. also spent a few evenings pouring over youtube vids, so i feel i'm fairly well versed on what to see there. figured that there are probably OB members that actually live in that area or have been there themselves and might have some good advice on things to see and do. we want to boondock, but it didnt look like much in the way of boondocking around there, but any campground will be fine since we will be leaving early and coming back late. i have a lifted tundra 4x4, so i should be good for most trails (if any around there). we are also wanting to head north and check out ruidosa on our way back home.

the wife thinks her facebook groups will better help with info but my faith is with my OB Brothers!
(dont let me down...its a long drive from the swamps to gila and i wont be able to stand that much gloating...)

Last edited: