Locker or Winch??

• HTML tutorial

Kingdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northeast Georgia
Member #

I’m new to overlanding and I am trying to build my rig with as little “buy and learn” mishaps as possible. I have the funds for my next upgrade but having a hard time deciding which would be the best money spent shrockworks front bumper with winch or rear lockers? Please help with this decision with your experiences and wisdom.

Reactions: Darren01

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have chosen to do a winch first on my 07 Xterra. A locker only helps you, a winch helps the whole group.

I also think people believe a locker will make up for inexperience, but that's rarely the case. I don't know your background but I try to get people to get out and use what they drive off-road before deciding on lockers, lift, ect. Most off the time people buy those things and wind up not needing them and not being happy with how their vehicle rides or drives afterward or realizing they should have gone a different route with it to perform the way they want it to.

Learn to drive what you have. Proper tire placement will get you further up the trail than a locker in a vehicle you don't know how to drive. A friend and I were out in his stock Tacoma on 235s and crawled a hillside after two guys who were locked and on 35s had to be towed and winched up.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ive got to agree here, the magic locker button is not always the best way to get out of a situation sometimes it gets you deeper into the problem. A winch is useful for not only you but everyone that goes with you.

Reactions: TerryD

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
I agree with all the above statements.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have never had lockers. My current rig has Limited Slip which isn't a locker but also kinda is. Ive been using a come-along with lots of "mechanical advantages." I would like to get a winch and definitely will before I get lockers. Good lines and well thought out plans can replace a locker in a lot of scenarios (not all) but you can still get stuck bad. The winch will get you unstuck.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Before you think about a next upgrade how up to date is all your maintenance items? Belts, hoses , fluids , t chain/belt , u joints , suspension components ect ect . A winch or locker won't do a bit of good on a inoperable vehicle

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Welcome, from another Xterra owner (2001). Definitely got with the shrock and winch. Are you also up to date on maintenance? Timing belt and water pump are mandatory on the vg33’s in the 1st gen Xterras.

Also, 1st gen Xterra choices are pretty limited when it comes to lockers. ARB air lockers (front and rear) lokka (front) and I think one other brand makes rears. Can’t quite remember though.

Kingdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northeast Georgia
Member #

Currently running the gambit of all maintenance needs. My thoughts were of reliable vehicle first and foremost. I just try to do ( Now, not so much in the past ) my research and planning of mods, considering money is always a factor.

Reactions: TerryD and Darren01

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Currently running the gambit of all maintenance needs. My thoughts were of reliable vehicle first and foremost. I just try to do ( Now, not so much in the past ) my research and planning of mods, considering money is always a factor.
Do you have the supercharged version? If so, make sure your knock sensor is taken care of. It’s a very common issue with these trucks. You have to remove the upper and lower intake manifold to get to it as well. Kind of a PITA. You could always bypass it if you don’t want to, but some people advise against that.

I’ve had my X for almost a year and I’ve nearly completed every maintenance issue and known parts to go bad. They are great rigs though and I really enjoy mine. Gas mileage sucks though lol.

Kingdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northeast Georgia
Member #

No supercharger, didn’t know how that would work for offroad or gas mileage. The little extra I spend on gas for what I think of as a great rig. Worth every penny. Had a 2wd X 10 years ago, never a problem. Got a big family, traded it for a Jeep commander. Great till the problems hit with it. Now with another great rig again. Not getting rid of this one.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I am going to go against the grain on this one.

We have a 2wd F250 7.3 and it had a posi-traction in it from the factory. We were always getting stuck in the sand and lose dirt as a posi will slip if enough load is put on it. Along with being at 7,800#s, I guess getting stuck in sand is to be expected.

When it got to 240,000 miles I decided to rebuild the diff with new seals, bearings, gears (changed to 4:10s from 3.73s) and at the time it was cheaper to install a Detroit locker, a mechanical locker, and always drives both rear wheels. We hardly ever get stuck any more and we have always been able to recover ourselves with the four our "tred" recovery bars we have on the truck.

So while having a winch is nice to help others - if you have a locker you yourself may not get stuck as much and you should get a set of recovery boards anyway. The hassle factor of using a winch especially if you're in the sand or mud with no trees are around is just a pain. Where if you have a locker in the rear you may - most likely would not have gotten stuck and need the winch anyway.

Depending on your stock 4x4 setup in your vehicle you may at best only have 2 wheel drive when in 4x4 mod, one front wheel and one rear wheel. So with a locker in the rear you at least have an honest three wheel drive at all times.

Another thing to consider in that when helping someone else your first go to piece of recovery equipment should be a snatch strap for ease, hassle factor and safety.

Just my $0.02s.

Last edited:

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I have never had lockers. My current rig has Limited Slip which isn't a locker but also kinda is. Ive been using a come-along with lots of "mechanical advantages." I would like to get a winch and definitely will before I get lockers. Good lines and well thought out plans can replace a locker in a lot of scenarios (not all) but you can still get stuck bad. The winch will get you unstuck.

This make me think about my dad. He used to say "If you get stuck with 4wh drive your 4 times as stuck". I just bought a Warn Zeon 10 - S winch for my 2011 Tacoma Off Road.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Lots of good advice here. @Daryl 32 had a good opportunity to install a locker, so that was a good choice there (cheers from another 7.3 4x4 owner). Both, ill used, will get you deeper into trouble. A locked axle and a heavy foot are a recipe for disaster. You Will Find The Weakest Link In Your Drivetrain. However, five minutes on YouTube will show you that an incorrectly rigged winch may cause more damage than the initial event you are attempting to recover the vehicle from.

Either way, get good training.

Good Luck

Be Safe

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

A winch has far more use cases than a rear locker. It can free you from being stuck. It can free others from being stuck. It can pull debris/trees out of the way that are blocking your path. It can be used as a hoist (with pulley) to lift objects vertically. It can be used to hold a vehicle in position (slipping off edge of roadway, etc.).

And the most important winch use: looking cool while mall crawling in your rig. Locker doesn't meet that criteria. :sunglasses: