Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

If the short bed Tacoma bed doesn't accommodate the cages, perhaps an adventure type trailer could be used for hauling the cages and maybe a dairy cow.

• Haha
Reactions: Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If the short bed Tacoma bed doesn't accommodate the cages, perhaps an adventure type trailer could be used for hauling the cages and maybe a dairy cow.
Now we're talking. Fresh milk. No more need for that ARB fridge.

And as a side benefit, with a yoke and some rope the cow can help get you un-stuck, should the need arise. Don't laugh, some of the first overlanders on this continent were Conestoga wagons.

In the future we can have threads discussing the pros and cons of certain breeds, weighing off the quality of milk produced vs the pulling power. And of course considering the weight of certain breeds. Farther in the future will be the concerns about methane emissions and the need for cowtalytic converters in certain states.

Yes, this could be the next thing for elite overlanding. Got to have the freshest of cream for that latte.

I better start working on a new trailer design. This could be big.

:wink:

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy

And as a side benefit, with a yoke and some rope the cow can help get you un-stuck, should the need arise. Don't laugh, some of the first overlanders on this continent were Conestoga wagons.

In the future we can have threads discussing the pros and cons of certain breeds, weighing off the quality of milk produced vs the pulling power. And of course considering the weight of certain breeds. Farther in the future will be the concerns about methane emissions and the need for cowtalytic converters in certain states.

Yes, this could be the next thing for elite overlanding. Got to have the freshest of cream for that latte.

Make the whole thing amphibious and we will call you Noah-2! Lol

Reactions: RatAssassin

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

I'm thinking, from my backpacking and wilderness paddling roots......we could save a lot of room and unnessesary weight by leaving the dairy cow behind and just getting a goat.
The milk is really good and would work so much better in a cream sauce on the Skottle Grill.
Smaller and lighter trailer. More available food sources for the goat in our travels.
Somebody, please design a goat and chicken hauling livestock off road trailer with a RTT. Add enough solar (maybe a flexible solar vest fo the goat as it grazes during the day) and we will market it as the first real total off grid system. :grinning: Also, to keep those chickens laying correctly, perhaps some little VR goggles to put on the chickens of sunny fields and grasshoppers to run around and chase in the sun, full watering cans....Yields unaffected!
Always pushing the envelope, forging ahead and adapting!

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Or what about a yak?

Yak's are better for cold weather. And certainly have more pulling power than a goat.

See? We have already gotten to the point where we can debate the merits of our livestock. The Toyota/Jeep argument is so last decade.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Or what about a yak?

Yak's are better for cold weather. And certainly have more pulling power than a goat.

See? We have already gotten to the point where we can debate the merits of our livestock. The Toyota/Jeep argument is so last decade.
A yak provides everything one needs in even more extreme and cold conditions. And think.....One would no longer have to worry about strapping additional gas cans to the side of their "rigs". Just hook up the Yak if you run out of fuel and
have it drag you back to town.
I think you're on to something big.

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
A yak provides everything one needs in even more extreme and cold conditions. And think.....One would no longer have to worry about strapping additional gas cans to the side of their "rigs". Just hook up the Yak if you run out of fuel and
have it drag you back to town.
I think you're on to something big.
It gets even better than that: You can ride a yak.

It would be like carrying a spare vehicle. Not only could it take you back to civilization in the event your primary vehicle breaks down, it could also take you places you could never manage to reach with a 4x4.

I cannot imagine why folks do not already carry a yak. This should be the new skottle.

You know, we haven't heard from the OP in a while. I bet he is already busy patenting this idea. Dang...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Why bother. Eggs keep for 3-4 week in a fridge. I bet less than one in a thousand people on here will every be totally away from civilization for a month at a time. If so, you are going to be eating out of a can or sticking to beans and rice. Eggs do quite well at room temp for a week or better.
If the egg hasn’t been refrigerated it can last up to a month or better before it spoils… once an egg is refrigerated it’s lifespan is greatly reduced.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If the egg hasn’t been refrigerated it can last up to a month or better before it spoils… once an egg is refrigerated it’s lifespan is greatly reduced.
The problem with that is that eggs are refrigerated at the producer any more. We had 4000 caged laying hens, we gathered, washed graded, boxed, then refrigerated. The washing does the most harm. It removes the protective layer.

Reactions: M Rose