Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

You full sized guys in the desert areas have it so good. Lol. Trying to navigate a full sized rig through wooded trails is no fun.

Nice rig though. Happy travels.
Go drive desert trails for some perspective. they go from wide to horse trails often. My truck has its war stripes from the desert. We are planning another tip to the pony express trail. You should join us

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I am from the high desert, CA. Wheeled all over out there to include my time stationed at Nellis AFB, NV. I hear you on the rapid narrowing of trails.

Reactions: Waaazooo

Chris_93694c

Rank II

Contributor III

Oyster Bay Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Czura
Member #

Hi all - just joined today. Looking to picking up tips and tricks to get my old Ram set up for Overlanding. Just ordered bed and roof racks, looking at RTTs now. I just scrolled through this entire thread to see how others have set up their rigs. I noticed that very few pickups have the RTT on the cab - most are over the bed. Is there a reason for that? I'm thinking I want mine on the roof so if I ever need the bed for hauling stuff (on-road), I could pop the rack off easier than if it was holding the RTT... Thanks for any input!

Attachments

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

Hi all - just joined today. Looking to picking up tips and tricks to get my old Ram set up for Overlanding. Just ordered bed and roof racks, looking at RTTs now. I just scrolled through this entire thread to see how others have set up their rigs. I noticed that very few pickups have the RTT on the cab - most are over the bed. Is there a reason for that? I'm thinking I want mine on the roof so if I ever need the bed for hauling stuff (on-road), I could pop the rack off easier than if it was holding the RTT... Thanks for any input!
I put mine on my bed because the ladder wouldn’t reach the ground. There might be RTT made for cab top. My smittybuilt isn’t.. I also don’t know if the roof is weight rated for fat guys (me).

Outbound150

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lake in the Hills, IL 60156, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Weigand
IMG_2043.jpg
Very slow build up with my F150. Front and rear suspension have been replaced to Rancho RS9000XL series with the front leveled out. Ditch lights installed and hi-lift mounted in the bed as well. Truck will remain pretty much stock otherwise until proved otherwise. Projects in the pipeline include an ammo can mount for my recovery gear in the bed by the hi-lift and a bed rail rack system.

Chris_93694c

Rank II

Contributor III

Oyster Bay Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Czura
Member #

I put mine on my bed because the ladder wouldn’t reach the ground. There might be RTT made for cab top. My smittybuilt isn’t.. I also don’t know if the roof is weight rated for fat guys (me).
Ah - the ladder! I had seen you can get ladder extensions for a lot of RTTs, so I didn't give that much thought. I'll check that out... My roof rack is rated for 330 pounds, which is just enough for the RTT, my kid (who's all of 50 pounds), and this fat guy. Many thanks!