Lets see some trail photos!

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

ME_00000_000000_20180128153605_0009.JPG IMG_5358.JPG IMG_5367.JPG ME_00000_000000_20180128153946_0012.JPG
Taking a new friend out in the Ouachitas this past weekend and cooked up some south Louisiana Boudain, marinated chicken breasts, pork chops and green beans for lunch out in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. What a beautiful Day.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Recon with my bike to see how the good or not the trail was before taking my van out.

This particular ride was around eight miles in Big Bend NP. Those are the Chisos Mountains in the background. Rangers said some of the steeper-sided arroyos on this trail may not be as passable the further in I went.

I originally got the bike as insurance in case my van breaks down and I need a quicker-than-walking way to get off the trail. I quickly found, though, how handy my bike is to scout ahead before taking the van and trailer out a trail I may regret. Great for running errands into town as well, or just for exploring in ways you can't do in your vehicle. Backpack, plenty water and some energy snacks, hat and shades, gps or compass and map, good to go. Great fun, too.

I'd have to say this bike is the second best (to my trailer) investment I've made in off-road and camping gear.

View attachment 44523
Great idea to recon with a bike. It's always good to 'know before you go.' Is this a power assist bike?

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Great idea to recon with a bike. It's always good to 'know before you go.' Is this a power assist bike?
Yes, @HappyOurOverlanding, it is a Sondors X and has a 17.5Ah Panasonic battery (in the triangle mid-frame), a 500w electric motor in the rear hub, 5 levels of pedal assist through the LED screen on the handlebar, 7 speed derailleur, 26x4.9 tires, and front fork suspension. Literally less than half the price of other ebikes I've seen that are nowhere near as robust or well-built, and 1,000-1,500 less than non-motorized fattire mountain bikes I've seen at REI. Sondors has just released their 2018 line and new pricing.

I was one of the first to get the X when it debuted last summer and I'll tell ya, it's a head turner. I rode it constantly at Overland Expo East this past fall and it drew a lot of attention. More than once someone would say "I've seen several of those bikes here, pretty cool!" and I'd have to tell them it was actually my bike each time but with different riders, so many folks wanted to try it out.

You can use any of five levels of peddle assist, just use straight throttle (which will still get you up to 20mph, fast enough to blow your hat off), or just peddle only. There is no resistance from the motoren you peddle, like you have on a gas-powered moto-bike. Charge lasts a really long time; I found I can get 60-80 miles on a charge, depending on how much straight throttle and which level of peddle assist I use most. Typical for most riding around camp, I found, is to keep it in 7th gear and third level of assist.

The LED screen provides a wealth of information, including amount of charge, draw, outside temp, trip distance, total distance, speed, avg speed, etc.

Makes all the difference in running around doing errands, going out for a ride every morning and evening, cruising around camp, and scouting trails and distant campsites.

I'm honestly out on my bike more now, and get more exercise now, than I ever did with a conventional bike. You really do get your legs working. I love this thing. Seriously the second best piece of gear I own for traveling and camping. Well, maybe third, I love my van, too.

IMG_0341.jpg

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Yes, @HappyOurOverlanding, it is a Sondors X and has a 17.5Ah Panasonic battery (in the triangle mid-frame), a 500w electric motor in the rear hub, 5 levels of pedal assist through the LED screen on the handlebar, 7 speed derailleur, 26x4.9 tires, and front fork suspension. Literally less than half the price of other ebikes I've seen that are nowhere near as robust or well-built, and 1,000-1,500 less than non-motorized fattire mountain bikes I've seen at REI. Sondors has just released their 2018 line and new pricing.

I was one of the first to get the X when it debuted last summer and I'll tell ya, it's a head turner. I rode it constantly at Overland Expo East this past fall and it drew a lot of attention. More than once someone would say "I've seen several of those bikes here, pretty cool!" and I'd have to tell them it was actually my bike each time but with different riders, so many folks wanted to try it out.

You can use any of five levels of peddle assist, just use straight throttle (which will still get you up to 20mph, fast enough to blow your hat off), or just peddle only. There is no resistance from the motoren you peddle, like you have on a gas-powered moto-bike. Charge lasts a really long time; I found I can get 60-80 miles on a charge, depending on how much straight throttle and which level of peddle assist I use most. Typical for most riding around camp, I found, is to keep it in 7th gear and third level of assist.

The LED screen provides a wealth of information, including amount of charge, draw, outside temp, trip distance, total distance, speed, avg speed, etc.

Makes all the difference in running around doing errands, going out for a ride every morning and evening, cruising around camp, and scouting trails and distant campsites.

I'm honestly out on my bike more now, and get more exercise now, than I ever did with a conventional bike. You really do get your legs working. I love this thing. Seriously the second best piece of gear I own for traveling and camping. Well, maybe third, I love my van, too.

View attachment 46571
Thanks for the info Road. My friend and his wife got assist bikes a year ago (ordered from Germany if that means anything). Went for a ride following the Susan River (California)--Them on assist bikes and us on our Trek Bikes. They were way ahead of my wife and me. He let me try his bike out...unfortunately he's 6'6" and I am not :grimacing:. Even at the lowest seat seating, I couldn't petal :tonguewink:. Still toying with the idea of an assist bike. Thanks again.

IMG_0446.JPG

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Road

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
sorry for poor cell phone pics, but came across this old CJ exploring some fireroads by the lake last week. best I can tell its been here for about 2 decades. but still solid frame and body, would love to see this with a 5.3 vortec in it. BTW I did have permission by the property owner to be there. She said I could go through any unlocked gate I wanted, and the closest one to this happened to not be locked.20180204_114348.jpg 20180204_115317.jpg 20180204_114856.jpg 20180204_114545.jpg 20180204_114523.jpg 20180204_114520.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
sorry for poor cell phone pics, but came across this old CJ exploring some fireroads by the lake last week. best I can tell its been here for about 2 decades. but still solid frame and body, would love to see this with a 5.3 vortec in it. BTW I did have permission by the property owner to be there. She said I could go through any unlocked gate I wanted, and the closest one to this happened to not be locked.View attachment 47344 View attachment 47345 View attachment 47346 View attachment 47347 View attachment 47348 View attachment 47349
Sad to see it just wasting away....

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
Reactions: AprilC

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

Another Overland pros tent user with a Gobi rack! We are twins!
Totally twins! I searched high and low for a rack and rooftop tent fit my needs. These two seriously are the best for me and what I needed. Which tent did you get from them? We have the Anza 1400. It says sleeps 2-3 people, but more like 2. I had no idea there was such a long wait for the rack. We installed it just in time for our trip to Moab last year. Like, days before our trip. Thankfully it all turned out and have no issues. Solid rack!

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
I have the Mojave 1400 from Overland Pros. I have a gear review up for it and I totally love it. mine is very cozy with 3 people and gear as well! Still, I totally love it. Owner is on here as well. He is a really stand up guy. Bent over backwards to help me pickup my tent when I was travelling back south from Tahoe.
Totally twins! I searched high and low for a rack and rooftop tent fit my needs. These two seriously are the best for me and what I needed. Which tent did you get from them? We have the Anza 1400. It says sleeps 2-3 people, but more like 2. I had no idea there was such a long wait for the rack. We installed it just in time for our trip to Moab last year. Like, days before our trip. Thankfully it all turned out and have no issues. Solid rack!

CPick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West FL
Member #

Swing out carrier is probably the best upgrade I've made to the 4runner. I'm nowhere near as skilled as you to build it myself though! Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished product.