Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Recon with my bike to see how good or not the trail was before taking my van out.

This particular ride was around eight miles in Big Bend NP. Those are the Chisos Mountains in the background. Rangers said some of the steeper-sided arroyos on this trail may not be as passable the further in I went.

I originally got the bike as insurance in case my van breaks down and I need a quicker-than-walking way to get off the trail. I quickly found, though, how handy my bike is to scout ahead before taking the van and trailer out a trail I may regret. Great for running errands into town as well, or just for exploring in ways you can't do in your vehicle. Backpack, plenty water and some energy snacks, hat and shades, gps or compass and map, good to go. Great fun, too.

I'd have to say this bike is the second best (to my trailer) investment I've made in off-road and camping gear.

View attachment 44523
Do you have any pics with the bike rack set up? I’d love to get one of these, but I have a rear swing gate tire mount bike rack from Yakima and I’m sure it may be too heavy for the swing mechanism. Does the bike weigh a lot?

Reactions: Road

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

sorry for poor cell phone pics, but came across this old CJ exploring some fireroads by the lake last week. best I can tell its been here for about 2 decades. but still solid frame and body, would love to see this with a 5.3 vortec in it. BTW I did have permission by the property owner to be there. She said I could go through any unlocked gate I wanted, and the closest one to this happened to not be locked.View attachment 47344 View attachment 47345 View attachment 47346 View attachment 47347 View attachment 47348 View attachment 47349
Bit of a late reply, but why not ask the owner if you can have it? Better than it rusting away to nothing in the field. You could restore it! :)

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Do you have any pics with the bike rack set up? I’d love to get one of these, but I have a rear swing gate tire mount bike rack from Yakima and I’m sure it may be too heavy for the swing mechanism. Does the bike weigh a lot?
I keep my bike inside the van, not on an exterior rack. There are, though, a lot of people who put Sondors on bike racks on the back of their vehicles. I saw a vid of one guy showing how he puts two on his bike rack. Do a search for Sondors bike rack and you'll find different solutions.

Nope, not that heavy really. I put it in and take it out of my van on a regular basis. Probably 55lbs? I think it says on their site. I added the Topeak fat-tire rack and have a pack on there, and other than that it is pretty much stock weight.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
IMG_0145.JPGIMG_0155.JPGSomewhere West of Yuma. Discovered a bunch of old abandoned gold mines. Super cool experience. We were the only ones out here. Didn’t see another soul for 30 miles of dirt, rock, sand and gravel roads. Really fun navigating the river trails. So thankful for good nav equipment. Wouldn’t of made it without!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

View attachment 78372View attachment 78373Somewhere West of Yuma. Discovered a bunch of old abandoned gold mines. Super cool experience. We were the only ones out here. Didn’t see another soul for 30 miles of dirt, rock, sand and gravel roads. Really fun navigating the river trails. So thankful for good nav equipment. Wouldn’t of made it without!
Man I love those 80 series.