Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I was thinking of getting the head unit of my 2730a put on my dash. I am rethinking that because the sun may affect it. Any of you run your removable heads on the dash with no issues? I was going to use the tray in the center of my Wrangler. Trying to see some setups before I buy another thing. The mounting hardware is almost as much as the radio on sale. I was thinking of the LIdo seat mount that you mount to the bolt on the foot of the passenger seat. Keeps the head out f the sun and accessible. Im trying to do this install but not working it out even after watching all kinds of youtube videos.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I thought about that but my locker and compressor switch is there. It's a bit too close to the shifter for me. I think (still want to see other rigs) I will get the Lido seat bolt mount and that's it. I would have never thought a radio wouldn't come with mounting brackets. My 7900R in my previous rig came with brackets. I those this ICOM because I loved the large screen. I want this because I can plug the mike into the head unit whereas the 5100 came with a bracket but I would have to buy a 70.00 ext cord to connect the head to the body. I decided I didn't need all of the features of the 5100 and extra cost but damn, if I am getting there with mounts. I decided against 67 designs with looked nice but they are steep. I'm installing without drilling holes and mounting base in the glovebox since it's not large enough to really use as a glovebox.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Dash mount with radio under the back seat. Ram Mount dash track system for the stuff. The JT does not have a lot of room lower to put anything. Mounted same head unit on top side of the sun visor in the JKU and loved that placement since I don't use the visor much - easily visible and not blocking anything.

IMG_5538.jpeg

Reactions: BullNV

GXAndy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

3265 Cauble Road, Salisbury, NC, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Linker
Member #

Wow--I envy you guys with lots of space to mount radios... I have a GX460 and space is a bit of a premium--I haven't found anything that is aesthetically pleasing for a mount for this DD rig...

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Wow--I envy you guys with lots of space to mount radios... I have a GX460 and space is a bit of a premium--I haven't found anything that is aesthetically pleasing for a mount for this DD rig...
This site has a lot of good solutions - (1) Lido Radio Products No Holes Mounting Solutions I picked up a CD mount for my other rig cause like you I didn't have space anywhere.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Thanks for the pics. **Are there any people with JK Wranglers who can show me their antenna mounts on the rear. I DO NOT want the antenna on the hood or front fender. I want the antenna on the rear. Doesn't seem to be many choices for the JK Wranglers so now I am asking for specialized antenna mounts for JK Jeeps. Not much out there for this. It was fine when I had the TJ.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
I have my FT-400 unit mounted under the passenger seat and the head unit in a 67 Designs dash mount. So far no issues, been like this for 2 years. The mount does have a specific attachment point for the FT-400 with fairly quick release for times I want to secure the head unit out of sight or weather. This also gives the GPS/APRS functionality visibility of the sky. And works well with my phone, either day to day or rotated for GAIA GPS navigation.
Image4.jpeg Image1.jpeg

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
I have my FT-400 unit mounted under the passenger seat and the head unit in a 67 Designs dash mount. So far no issues, been like this for 2 years. The mount does have a specific attachment point for the FT-400 with fairly quick release for times I want to secure the head unit out of sight or weather. This also gives the GPS/APRS functionality visibility of the sky. And works well with my phone, either day to day or rotated for GAIA GPS navigation.
View attachment 192258 View attachment 192259
I too have my FTM mounted in a similar spot, one year in and no issues thus far.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It seems to me that many here use a HAM radio with removable headunit and place it clearly visible in the cockpit. I had also thought about this intensively before the purchase. These let´s call them a kind of black box devices, which are also available for CB, have for me the great advantage that a large part of the technology is then in the black box, which can be installed somewhere in the car and the operation is done via the comparatively small (removable) control panel or even in some devices via the microphone.
A popular place for the black box seems to be under a seat. I also did it that way, it doesn't disturb at that place. And so you can simply place the headunit particularly well so that it does not restrict the driver's field of vision and yet is easily accessible during operation. And for all those who use APRS, a good reception is also given here.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
It seems to me that many here use a HAM radio with removable headunit and place it clearly visible in the cockpit. I had also thought about this intensively before the purchase. These let´s call them a kind of black box devices, which are also available for CB, have for me the great advantage that a large part of the technology is then in the black box, which can be installed somewhere in the car and the operation is done via the comparatively small (removable) control panel or even in some devices via the microphone.
A popular place for the black box seems to be under a seat. I also did it that way, it doesn't disturb at that place. And so you can simply place the headunit particularly well so that it does not restrict the driver's field of vision and yet is easily accessible during operation. And for all those who use APRS, a good reception is also given here.
Indeed! May be some lost in translation with regards to the black box terminology, these are typically referred to as 'remote mount transceivers'. Just wanted to throw that term out there to assist in searching if you were after any, that comment isn't meant to be a put-down of any sort. A commonality is radios will be shipped as one unit and if a separation kit is not provided, they can sometimes be purchased separately. I have a couple Yaesu FT-7900's and by 'stock' configuration they are a single unit though I use them in a remote mount capacity due to space constraints in my little Rogue DD, for example. My FTM-400 is a factory remote mount transceiver with no real option of being mounted together.

For folks looking at options, do consider there are some key differences. The FTM-400, while a great transceiver, I must scratch my head as to why Yaesu decided for the microphone connection to be on the transceiver and not the control head. Of course you could purchase an extension cable, though I typically mount my transceivers under a rear seat or something of the sort to facilitate shorter coax runs. This is just one of those strange design choices in my eyes which effectively limits some of your mounting options.

Anyhow, didn't want to get off topic naysjp (sorry) - just wanted to throw that term out there to clarify the black box.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
@KyleGrant I guess the FTM-400 design is good or bad depending on how you want to mount it. Personally, where I have the transceiver mounted it makes more sense to have the mic connect to it rather than the control head, but I can definitely see how for others it would be better to have the mic connect to the control head instead. Here's where my control head is mounted and the transceiver is mounted to the knee bolster under the steering column. Nothing gets in the way of my legs. I've been waiting for months for an AMPS mount to be released for my truck (The company makes one for the non-Bose trucks but the Bose mount has been repeatedly delayed) so I can move it to a more central location on top of the dash which will also fix the issue I have with glare from the display on the windshield when turned on at night, even with the brightness set to minimum.

Attachments

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks for the pics. **Are there any people with JK Wranglers who can show me their antenna mounts on the rear. I DO NOT want the antenna on the hood or front fender. I want the antenna on the rear. Doesn't seem to be many choices for the JK Wranglers so now I am asking for specialized antenna mounts for JK Jeeps. Not much out there for this. It was fine when I had the TJ.
There are CB mounts for the tailgate, as long as they are wide enough for a NMO antenna base to sit on you could use NMO coax with a 3/8" center stud so that you wouldn't have to drill out the hole in the mount.