Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am now on a mission to visit the Spam museum in Austin, MN where I hear you are able to buy the myriad of flavors available. It is a staple of our camping pantry and that article gave me some new ideas for camp-how about military stew in a dutch oven!

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

wow, i appreciate SPAM even more now! :dizzy:

And I thought we were the only ones that put it in Tatter-Tot casserole, we have done most of what they showed including the Top Ramen and egg with fried Spam as a salad...

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
================================================================================================
Kinda sacrilege on the Holiday 11/25. Best used sometime during the year besides that thursday. I look at this as a stand-in alternative, when convenience trumps practicability :anguished: .

That carving reminds me of those who tout TOFU birds instead, it is just wrong as a alternative to the real thing. WRONG, just WRONG!:anguished: On this holiday, I want the real thing.

PS: Love this 3 year continuing thread. I continue to be amazed at this products versatility.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Too cool! It is making me think of song titles (why are most if not all of these country songs?).

"If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right"

"Feels so right"

"Ninety nine and forty four onehundrenth percent pure love"

"She's close enough to perfect, for me"

"Love the one you're with"

Now all you need is a box of stovetop stuffing, and pumpkin pie from the grocery store, a box of instant mashed potato flakes, a jar of gravy, a package of rolls, a can of cranberry jelly, and you're set!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Too cool! It is making me think of song titles (why are most if not all of these country songs?).

"If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right"

"Feels so right"

"Ninety nine and forty four onehundrenth percent pure love"

"She's close enough to perfect, for me"

"Love the one you're with"

Now all you need is a box of stovetop stuffing, and pumpkin pie from the grocery store, a box of instant mashed potato flakes, a jar of gravy, a package of rolls, a can of cranberry jelly, and you're set!
Well... if ya wanna toss music in the mix...

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Something For Everyone! Hormel's latest earnings call-

The brand's owner Hormel said on its fourth fiscal quarter earnings call Thursday that sales of Spam capped off their seventh straight record-setting year.

And that definitely doesn't surprise Hormel CEO Jim Snee.

"The question is, who is not eating Spam? It's amazing what we have been able to do over the last seven years," Snee said on Yahoo Finance Live. "When you break it down and think about it at its core, it is an incredibly affordable source of protein. And so when you think about the value shopper to start with, it's a staple in their pantry and a staple they need to feed their families. Then we have seen this increase in Asian influence in restaurants, Spam shows up everywhere. What we are also seeing is a change in the consumer dynamic where you might think it's a value consumer only or a more senior consumer only [buying Spam], and that's not true. We are seeing broad-based consumption for the brand."

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Just as an update for those who haven't eaten Spam in years... There is no longer the gelatin surrounding the Spam in the can and it now has significantly less fat.

We grew up poor. Spam was a treat. I still love it and probably eat a can a week. Heck I even went to the Spam Museum in Minnesota.

My kids and grand kids keep asking for my favorite camping recipe. I cut up Spam into long skinny strips and brown them in a pan. I remove them and then fry thinly sliced potatoes with garlic salt until almost crispy. Return SPAM to the pan and crack a dozen eggs over the top, add garlic salt and onion salt and scramble it all together. It can serve 4 - 6.

Another great recipe is to cut into .25" thick slices and fry until starting to get crispy. Cover with a slice of cheese the same size and top it off with some jalapenos. Microwave or bake until the cheese melts. The combo is very tasty. I served them at a party and everybody loved them... then I told them what it was and everybody was surprised.

I have several cans in my bug out bag.
Dayum! Now I want Spam and eggs for breakfast!

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Something For Everyone! Hormel's latest earnings call-

The brand's owner Hormel said on its fourth fiscal quarter earnings call Thursday that sales of Spam capped off their seventh straight record-setting year.

And that definitely doesn't surprise Hormel CEO Jim Snee.

"The question is, who is not eating Spam? It's amazing what we have been able to do over the last seven years," Snee said on Yahoo Finance Live. "When you break it down and think about it at its core, it is an incredibly affordable source of protein. And so when you think about the value shopper to start with, it's a staple in their pantry and a staple they need to feed their families. Then we have seen this increase in Asian influence in restaurants, Spam shows up everywhere. What we are also seeing is a change in the consumer dynamic where you might think it's a value consumer only or a more senior consumer only [buying Spam], and that's not true. We are seeing broad-based consumption for the brand."
Who are they kidding.....?we know the REAL reason for the increased sales it THIS THREAD!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
We tried a new one , a cheese and Spam salad Quesada, Spam Salad {Spam mixed with Mayo, cheese both jack and extra sharp and seasoned to taste} grilled then put on a heated tortilla with melted cheese then assembled, cut and served. Quite good!
so you grill the Spam salad like a burger and then put it on the tortilla, add even more cheese OMG! Zero calories and cholesterol, right?

Last edited: