Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have not tried Winlink yet. I wanted to make sure the basic configuration worked. I’ve also hoped to do messaging with aprs.fi.
The only reason I ask, is because you might be able to hit a WinLink node easier than an iGate. But WinLink isn’t for the faint of heart. I need to finish this thread by doing a walkthrough of setting up WinLink and the TNC3. WinLink can be very confusing to use.

Reactions: Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Is the frequency that you are setting up based on your location or is this a universal frequency for packet transmission? What is required on “the other end” to send the packets to the internet?

I understand the concept, just a little confused on the requirements
you have two questions here. First, the frequency is dependent upon what you are trying to do. For instance, APRS uses 144.390 for the calling frequency, but if I’m trying to send out an email via WinLink, I need to scan (using WinLink) for the frequency of the closest node and use that frequency.
Your second question is the receiving end. On the receiving end of APRS is another APRS enabled system. The system can be connected to the internet, but it doesn’t have to be. APRS is a message forwarding system. So in other words, you transmit, I hear your transmission and relay your transmission to the iGate.
The iGate is a repeater that is connected to the internet. In simple terms, it takes all the information it hears and posts to the internet, and it pulls all the information that other iGates hear and retransmits all the data back to your radio.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The only reason I ask, is because you might be able to hit a WinLink node easier than an iGate. But WinLink isn’t for the faint of heart. I need to finish this thread by doing a walkthrough of setting up WinLink and the TNC3. WinLink can be very confusing to use.
I am missing “something“. The only beacons that are hitting the map are going through the iPad. Nothing through the TNC. If the setting the arrow is pointing to is toggled off, nothing goes out. If it’s on, a beacon goes out, but via the web, not the radio.

Today it tested that, by leaving the radio and TNC turned off, 50 Miles away from my iPad. The iPad still sent a beacon. I can do that with find my, I didn’t need to spend $130 for a TNC.

71C7FD3E-490E-4DB3-9F2C-76FC6F8EAFA7.jpeg

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am missing “something“. The only beacons that are hitting the map are going through the iPad. Nothing through the TNC. If the setting the arrow is pointing to is toggled off, nothing goes out. If it’s on, a beacon goes out, but via the web, not the radio.

Today it tested that, by leaving the radio and TNC turned off, 50 Miles away from my iPad. The iPad still sent a beacon. I can do that with find my, I didn’t need to spend $130 for a TNC.

View attachment 225042
I am currently at work. But you definitely are doing something wrong

• Haha

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
manual beacon and listening with an HT. It’s making packet sounds. It’s also receiving other stations, 17 heard in the previous hour.

still nothing on aprs.fi.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
manual beacon and listening with an HT. It’s making packet sounds. It’s also receiving other stations, 17 heard in the previous hour.

still nothing on aprs.fi.

That’s not long enough… that’s the opening line of code. It isn’t completing the handshake

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Tangential question, once the TNC is doing it’s thing (correctly) the aprs.fi app doesn’t need to be active, correct?
The APRS.fi app has to be running. At least in the background (iirc). The app gives the information needed to make the packets to send via the radio… all the TNC does is convert hex code into digital tones and vice versa to make the radio talk to the cell phone or PC.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Let’s try something else Rex.

First put your phone into airplane mode. Open the app. On the beacon menu, move the top three sliders to the left (off positions). Then click the hamburger at the bottom far right that reads more. From this tab select iGate. Turn the slider on.
B89735B9-63C7-4324-9D90-0F2788F854CA.jpeg
1E107891-E02E-4639-A47F-BC1C99E65BBC.png
Now turn on the TNC3 and the radio, pair the TNC to your phone.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The above post should populate the map (without your call sign on the map). If the map isn’t populating, you aren’t hearing the iGate.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
that igate toggle seems to have workEd.

All packets are going through LAGRNG. Thats a digipeater about 30 miles line of sight away.

LAGRNG = Lagrange, TX. Home of ZZ Top.

A130D5D5-2244-47C6-A1CE-53607ECF02BA.png

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Back in the mean old dark ages, I had a Byonics Tinytrac 2. It could be configured to beacon every time your course changed by a user defined angle. Does such a thing exist for using the TNC 3?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Back in the mean old dark ages, I had a Byonics Tinytrac 2. It could be configured to beacon every time your course changed by a user defined angle. Does such a thing exist for using the TNC 3?
I have never tried… when traveling I set up to beacon every 5 seconds if I’m moving… every 25 minutes if I’m setting still.

With that said…a little birdie told me this will be possible soon on an app dear to our hearts.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have never tried… when traveling I set up to beacon every 5 seconds if I’m moving… every 25 minutes if I’m setting still.

With that said…a little birdie told me this will be possible soon on an app dear to our hearts.
How did you set the beacon rate? I’m not seeing anything obvious. I had the three long slides all the way left, and my trip is still suggesting either a flying car, or teleportation.