Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

As to clean up…those people that don’t clean up there own mess (at least) don’t seem to realize that they are only expediting the closure of the very place they enjoyed making a mess of. We on the Left coast don’t need to give “Them” any more reasons to shut us down. So clean up yer crap! Pack it in, pack it out!!
now have a nice day

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
As to clean up…those people that don’t clean up there own mess (at least) don’t seem to realize that they are only expediting the closure of the very place they enjoyed making a mess of. We on the Left coast don’t need to give “Them” any more reasons to shut us down. So clean up yer crap! Pack it in, pack it out!!
now have a nice day
Totally agree!
Well said!

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Yah, that’s the problem - at least on trails I’ve been on - some areas look like 3rd world dumps - shot up signs and televisions, garbage, beer cans, and spent shells everywhere- gives those people a bad name. I know it’s not everyone, but “it only takes a couple bad apples”, right?
This is unfortunate. However, I see far more non-firearms related trash on trails and in campsites. I tend not to condemn everyone who uses paper plates and drinks from aluminum cans as a result :smirk:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
This is unfortunate. However, I see far more non-firearms related trash on trails and in campsites. I tend not to condemn everyone who uses paper plates and drinks from aluminum cans as a result :smirk:
I use both paper plates and aluminum cans, both go home with me. Paper plates get put in the trash can at home, the aluminum cans get crushed and saved for turn in, they still bring pretty good money! And yes, I always have my pistol and sometimes a .22 rifle for plinking if allowed in the area I'm camping.

Reactions: Arailt and DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I use both paper plates and aluminum cans, both go home with me. Paper plates get put in the trash can at home, the aluminum cans get crushed and saved for turn in, they still bring pretty good money! And yes, I always have my pistol and sometimes a .22 rifle for plinking if allowed in the area I'm camping.
Absolutely!

Reactions: Viking1204

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I am considering the purchase of a gun for home defense and overlanding defense especially now that we are bringing my GF sons with us occasionally. I have only fired a handgun once about 30 years ago and obviously have never owned a gun of any type. I am looking for opinions on what would be a good multiuse weapon for the home/outdoors. I am in CA so not worried about grizzlies but more about other critters, 2 and 4-legged. I am not interested in purchasing multiple weapons at this time. I have been told a shorter barreled shotgun with alternating shells/slugs, .44 mag pistol, rifle, and I'm still not sure what to do. Obviously, safety is first and foremost and the vast majority of my friends have numerous guns and are happy to take me out, educate and show me use and care. I'd like to see what my fellow OB friends would recommend.
**please no ‘you live in Commiefornia, vote Republican, etc, etc’. ***

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I am considering the purchase of a gun for home defense and overlanding defense especially now that we are bringing my GF sons with us occasionally. I have only fired a handgun once about 30 years ago and obviously have never owned a gun of any type. I am looking for opinions on what would be a good multiuse weapon for the home/outdoors. I am in CA so not worried about grizzlies but more about other critters, 2 and 4-legged. I am not interested in purchasing multiple weapons at this time. I have been told a shorter barreled shotgun with alternating shells/slugs, .44 mag pistol, rifle, and I'm still not sure what to do. Obviously, safety is first and foremost and the vast majority of my friends have numerous guns and are happy to take me out, educate and show me use and care. I'd like to see what my fellow OB friends would recommend.
My suggestion is the shortest 12 gauge pump shotgun you can own without getting into NFA territory. When you're only planning to have one firearm with a defensive purpose, it's your all around best bet due to the versatility offered by being able to load multiple different types of ammo, even at the same time. You can load bird shot if you're worried about snakes, for example, or slugs or buckshot if you're in bear county. Nothing deters the two legged vermin like staring down the gaping barrel of a 12 gauge ;)

Reactions: MiamiC70 and M Rose

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]
Missouri is gun friendly. However start crossing state lines and Katybar the door. Keep it outta sight and only go for it if you gotta! My 2 cents!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
In your situation: Have only fired a pistol once, very little training, ect I suggest a pump action shotgun. They are simple to maintain, no expertise required (just point and shoot). Make sure it fits you so that you can quickly pick it up, shoulder it, and aquire a target, and fire in one smooth motion.

Secondly and most importantly take the CHL corse, even if you don’t plan on carrying a handgun or concealed carry. The class will give you the basics for home defense as well as self defense. A fire arm is the last resort to any threat two legged or otherwise, especially out side of your home. Know the laws before you pull your firearm out.

Lastly, practice, practice, practice. What ever fire arm you end up getting take it out to the gun range and practice as often as possible with ammunition close in specs to what you plan on using for home defense. In my case, I have several options of fire arms in various calibers. For my .45 ACP I practice with 130 grain lead wad cutters loaded to the maximum recommended powder weight. My .45 ACP defense round is Hornandy Critical Defense 130 grain +P. The Critical Defense round is about 200 fps slower than my training round which means that it has slightly less recoil than what I’m used to for training making me quicker on target reacquisition.
For your shot gun, when training; practice with the exact ammunition you would be using in the case of self defense. If you’re like me and mix shots in your shotgun, practice with the same loads in the same order, as different shot types have different patterns and different recoils.

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
It is hard to say what would work for you. My go to would be a pistol because I do not like the recoil of shotguns and am not comfortable with them. I have taught countless CCW classes, law enforcement and military firearms training course and you can always tell who is not comfortable with their firearm. If you have access to firearms (friends, family, range rentals, etc.) go out and shoot as many as you can and see what fits your hand the best and you are most comfortable shooting. A short shotgun can be good because of the capabilities of a shotgun, but it is still many times larger than a pistol,l. If you have to run to the vehicle/trailer to grab a shotgun that is time you may not have. A pistol is easy to keep on person, and have quickly accessible if needed.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Because your in California, a carbine is probably not practical. Concealed carry is also probably out at least in the short term. So with that in mind, I’d advise you to get a 12 gauge. Police trade in 870 pumps can be had for reasonably cheap. If your willing to spend a little more, a Beretta 1301 would be an excellent semi auto that’s light weight and easy to shoot. Since your a novice shooter and not whiling to buy multiple guns, you should stay away from pistols, especially big bore revolvers or tiny mouse guns. Those are very niche tools best used by practiced shooters. Your standard service caliber pistols like Glocks would be a good first pistol, but if your only going to have one gun, I should probably be a 12 gauge.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Conceal carry permits are not difficult to get in CA. However, my advice would be to go to a gun club or shorting range and take you time learning a few guns. I echo the 870 Remington is excellent and plentiful. Get comfortable with the gun you want to own and keep up with your training. The reason so many gun owners or households end up with injuries or deaths that ar unintentional is cause many people own guns and then either someone else gets a hold of the gun or the owner doesn’t train on it and sure enough adrenaline flys and reactions rather than decisions end up happening.

As for me I can’t shoot worth a damn with a pistol. By great with a rifle. I am also great with a bow, which is actually my preference. These things are important to know before you purchase in my opinion. Just my opinion.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Lots of good advice here for sure.

Pistols are great as general self defense weapons, especially modern 9mm, however they are much more difficult to master than shoulder fired arms, and generally subject to more restrictions, also most pistol calibers are somewhat anemic against something like a grizzly bear. Given the parameters set by the OP, I suggested a handy sized 12 gauge. Given different parameters, I would perhaps give different advice.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

30-30 lever action. Great first gun. Great only gun. Manageable recoil. Good for target shooting, hunting, and defense. I would say AR or PDW if you didn't live in California.

I wouldn't go with a 12 gauge as your first and only firearm, especially a short barrel. Recoil isn't manageable. They aren't fun to shoot unless you're going to get into skeet shooting, and you wouldn't want a home defense shotgun for that anyway.

Pistols are a mixed bag for an inexperienced shooter. They're benign enough for people to feel comfortable picking up, but easy to mishandle and hard to shoot accurately. Definitely don't buy a 44 magnum as your first an only firearm haha.

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
The gun you is irrelevant. Your lack of experience and knowledge is the main thing here. Get some professional training. If you accidentally injured or killed someone it will haunt you to the grave. You get familiar with different formats, the gun will pick you.
Excellent point here!

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
Lots of great information provided. My only addition is get the others trained as is appropriate for their ages. As a previous respondent indicated it is best to get formal training. Training with friends is not always the best. Also a structured environment like a range is a great place to learn and practice. Some classes also teach you about the responsibilities and liabilities of firearm ownership and use. You can find a list of trainings on the NRA website. I think there are some gun ranges in your area that may offer training. Be safe.