Launch Member

Traveler I

Seymour TX
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Dunn
Member #

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]
It’s been a long time since I’ve been anywhere without a firearm. Then again I hunter when I can and have delivered construction supplies to some pretty shady places. I’ve been shot at in New Orleans, got hijacked and lost my first pick up in Dallas, been robbed in Albuquerque at gun point, I’ve had to bury my pup because of a rattlesnake and nearly lost another another dog from to hogs. How much of your overland gear do to meth heads and or wild animals? I’m not saying everyone should be carrying, but the more the merrier. Junkies as well as critters will always be a issue, your family and loved ones are more valuable. Just my two cents

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS callsign WRTJ513
i'm planning a trip to california soon, so i got this for protection....

View attachment 216720

Warning: This product can expose you to chemicals which is [are] known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I try and refrain from visiting places that violate my 2A rights, especially when I'm in the backcountry where a gun can be a vital tool for survival
Alabama and Ohio both have Constitutional Carry bills headed to the governors desk both of which are likely to be signed bring the total to 23 States with Constitutional Carry.

"Wild West Pimp Style!"

Edit to add Alabama Governor has signed.
Edit to add Ohio Governor has signed.
Edit to add Indiana Governor has signed.

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I carry a pistol but have a similar problem. I visit Military bases when I travel because I'm retired, and that restricts my "carry" ability. In a pinch, I can pawn it for like $20 and then pick it up later. Secure storage away from me and my vehicle in most states. You do not want to be searched at the gate, and have a weapon. It may hurt. LOL Planning ahead is important.
Zim
holster.JPG

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Gladiator owners might be interested in the 813 Fabrication and Designs under-back-seat locking storage bin. It comes with a divider to segregate the space; mine (solid front) is setup with ~25%-75% split; radio gear in the short side and a rifle in the other. Nope this is not a gun safe but it does offer another level of security, I like that I can leave the truck unlocked when camping around children and not have to worry about somebody finding something.