Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

I plan on carrying a pistol or rifle depending on the laws, where were traveling and if its allowed at the campsite. I normally conceal carry with a CHP and wouldn't have it any other way. I've been in the military for 15 years, met a lot of crazy people in the process overseas and at home. As long as you're responsible, do your homework, educate yourself and use it for what it was intended for.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

So the stock end plate is replaced with the new brace which now the castle nut is pushed farther back over to secure the buffer tube. When you adjust the stock length the bars stay stationary?
IMG_5272.JPG
IMG_5271.JPG

A update for you. 12.5 ballistics advantage barrel with a Aero gas block. Aim sports hand guard with a spikes tactical upper receiver topped off with a midwest industry blast can! The blast can for a short barrel—- its gonna flash so why not push it forward.

Just gotta put a charging handle and a bcg and shell be ready

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

As you stated everyone has their own opinion when it comes to firearms and other types of self defense weapons when Overlanding. What makes this site so very different is you can express your own ideologies without push back from other members, as long as we keep the conversations clean and respectful. Weapons now a days can be a very sticky subject to open up for discussion. One thing we all have in common here is not only our Rigs its about nature, community and helping others. I'm a strong advocate for the 2nd but, I also try to use other forms of non-lethal weapons ie ... bear spray and pepper spray. Yes, I carry 90% percent of the time at home while trying not to make it so noticeable to the public just to avoid confrontation. I will have several firearms with me at all times in my own rig to protect myself & family of unexpected company that could potentially cause harm. Honestly its not the four legged creatures I worry about to much its the human threat which can be so much more cunning. I have not yet entertained shooting while Overlanding probably because I just never found the time I get caught up enjoying the scenery or other activities to be honest. Sure I've considered it and would like to experience a day of shooting just as long as its a controlled safe established location.
Nicely said.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

There are certain things I will always have on me unless prevented be law, keys, wallet, phone, tourniquet and Hemostatic gauze, a flashlight, a gun and a small fixed blade knife. My carry gun of choice is a Glock 19x, with RMR, x300u and Kkm barrel and comp. I really like the Shivworks clinch pick for a knife.

There a a few thoughts I have on vehicle carry.
First, try to avoided leaving firearms unattended in the vehicle. This is a major security risk. You truck is not a gun safe. If you want to bring long guns, on a trip, cool, bring them back inside when you get home. Crackheads will break windows for a lot less than a gun they can sell on the streets to feed there adiction.

Secondly, carry medical gear and get training on how to use it. If you carry a gun because your preparing for a deadly force encounter, be prepared to get hurt. The bad guy gets a vote too. You are also way more likely to need to stop major bleeding than justifiably use a firearm.

Last edited:

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Thought I'd throw this out there. Couple years ago I bought a new glock 9mm and a couple of the xlarge cap mags. I saw what I thought was an AR with glock mag stuck in it. Turns out to be a "just-right" carbine.

They come setup for 9mm 40cal and 45cal. They make them as to use glock mags. I have heard the 45 version has 1911 mag option.

Yes it's not a real rifle, but a 9mm out of 16 inch is just under 357 mag as far as foot pounds of energy.

You stream line you kit by using same mags for rifle and pistol.

Drop for the 9mm out of this length barrel is something like 2.8 inhes at 100 yards and zipping along at around 1000 fps, muzzle speeds said to be 1300 or a little higher depending on the round.

I shot mine some today and ran across this thread when I got home. I gotta say I like the weapon. Fun gun to shoot too.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
Be carful using those with defensive ammo. Modern hollow point bullets are designed to perform within a certain velocity window. Pushing them beyond designed velocities cause over expensaion with cause the bullet under pennatrate. Under penetration can cause the bullet to stop short of hitting something vital.

Warren Wilson

Rank II

Traveler I

Enid, OK
There are certain things I will always have on me unless prevented be law, keys, wallet, phone, tourniquet and Hemostatic gauze, a flashlight, a gun and a small fixed blade knife. My carry gun of choice is a Glock 19x, with RMR, x300u and Kkm barrel and comp. I really like the Shivworks clinch pick for a knife.

There a a few thoughts I have on vehicle carry.
First, try to avoided leaving firearms unattended in the vehicle. This is a major security risk. You truck is not a gun safe. If you want to bring long guns, on a trip, cool, bring them back inside when you get home. Crackheads will break windows for a lot less than a gun they can sell on the streets to feed there adiction.

Secondly, carry medical gear and get training on how to use it. If you carry a gun because your preparing for a deadly force encounter, be prepared to get hurt. The bad guy gets a vote too. You are also way more likely to need to stop major bleeding than justifiably use a firearm.
You sound like a Rangemaster kind of guy. I missed my first TacCon in a while this weekend.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I ask that people do not bring weapons on trips I plan. Here is why. On my first OB rally I went with my kids. I noticed several of the people attending carrying firearms. Not really an issue. I carry and my kids have been through hunter safety courses. As we left on our ride everything was fine. We had a great time. The problem occurred when we got back to camp. One of the participants came around wandering if anyone had seen their gun. Apparently he has taken it off his belt and put it onto his bumper. When we took off it fell off. Now he was looking for it. Imagine my surprise when a full grown man has lost a firearm 25 yards from a playground. Then a women who had no idea how to handle a firearm found it lying in the grass. She began waving it around. We took cover quickly. The fire arm was soon secured. This incident was wrong on so many levels. Because of the actions of one person many were put at risk. This is why at overlanding events I plan I ask that people leave firearms at home. I no longer carry mine at events. I appreciate your right to carry. The point is that overlanding events are a place you should feel safe and among friends.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

most states allow carry of a handgun in your vehicle as long as its locked in a compartment and some require that it be unloaded. I carry mine almost everywhere I go in the jeep in a lockbox under the seat. if im anywhere in the southeast out camping I usually have my .22 with me for fun.

Reactions: Drifterman

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

most states allow carry of a handgun in your vehicle as long as its locked in a compartment and some require that it be unloaded. I carry mine almost everywhere I go in the jeep in a lockbox under the seat. if im anywhere in the southeast out camping I usually have my .22 with me for fun.
I agree...the problem is that it only takes a one person to mishandle or forget to lock a glove box and a child to find it. It's not even about it being lawful. I agree its lawful and I will defend your right to have it and carry it. I simply tell you that in my experience overlanding events and weapons don't mix. If you wish to carry when your are solo or with your crew that's fine. If an organizer says weapons are ok that's fine too. I just ask at events that I plan you leave them at home. You are among friend. If you can't do that then that may not be the event for you.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

One of the participants came around wandering if anyone had seen their gun. Apparently he has taken it off his belt and put it onto his bumper. When we took off it fell off. Now he was looking for it.
That is pure carelessness and negligence. It’s either secured on your person, or secured off your person, there is no in between. Everyone makes mistakes bad that is something that should never happen.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I agree...the problem is that it only takes a one person to mishandle or forget to lock a glove box and a child to find it. It's not even about it being lawful. I agree its lawful and I will defend your right to have it and carry it. I simply tell you that in my experience overlanding events and weapons don't mix. If you wish to carry when your are solo or with your crew that's fine. If an organizer says weapons are ok that's fine too. I just ask at events that I plan you leave them at home. You are among friend. If you can't do that then that may not be the event for you.
My post was not meant to be a reply to yours and I did not mean for it to seem that way. however, I completely understand your stance on the matter.

Reactions: Overland Omnivore

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

100% correct there is no in between.

Sorry if this offends anyone. I minimally open carry. Only if I am at the range or hiking with a backpack in the woods.

Thats the huge problem with open carry... its better to have one than not. But being that its a right ( depending on state laws) alot of people that do it because of the second amendment don’t have the training to actually make good of the situation responsibly of carrying a firearm. I can sleep in both my conceal and open carry holsters as well as go to the restroom with out taking anything off. The saying goes you should spend more on your training than your weapon platform. My carry weapon is never off my body unless its on my nightstand it has full retention. Its muscle memory. Its there. My Ar that keep in my vehicle goes with me if I am not within 100 yards of my vehicle Packs up into a backpack and can go anywhere I go never is left in vehicle over night! You can normally spot someone that falls under the category of leaving it on a truck bumper and walking away from it.... a mile away. Its like a bad driver that shouldn’t be driving. Driving is easy and anyone can do it if they have the paper or card. Very good drivers out there too and most had to do drivers ed that took them a while to get to be good! Strapping a gun on your hip because you can... vs learning how to use it care for it retain it responsibly is a huge difference

Last edited:

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Roam_CO85 I second the sentiment whole heartedly. as a general rule, open carry is stupid. I understand is your actively hunting why you may choose to do so. Should it be legal, hell yes. But you are giving away a serious tactical advantage by broadcasting to the world your armed. I can provide a video this week of a dude open carrying and not paying attention and a tug walks up right behind him and snatched the gun. If you must openly carry, get a quality retention holster. Safariland ALS is good to go. The Blackhawk Serpa is hot garbage. I can provide evidence to back up my statements.

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

This story again plays out like many other scenarios I've heard time and time again. "As long as you're responsible, do your homework, educate yourself and use it for what it was intended for." Like others have said, have a gun for it's purpose and treat it as such. Respect the weapon, train with it, educate yourself and see that it becomes part of you. If you are going to hunt or train for self defense, DO NOT become complacent with them, with breaking cardinal rules and treating them carelessly for your sake or anyone else and especially kids. Period...

torquenbeans

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Tustin, CA, USA
Member #

I see how some could feel like it ruins the spirit of a trip.

For me it depends where I'm going and if there's a chance for recreational target shooting.

In my experience, those who feared a firearm actually enjoyed shooting once they understood how it worked mechanically and how to handle them responsibly. Also putting only one round in the mag helped ease the initial kickback anxiety lol.

Anyway, I'll usually bring them just for fun unless it's large predator area (in which case I hope the warning shot scares it away). In the case of a random psycho killer stalking me/us, or some other crap involving another human... The firearm's there but I'd really rather not have to shoot someone and deal with everything that comes along with that. It is an extremely rare circumstance anyway. Better off learning how to fight.

"Arsenal"
SW M&P 9mm (cheap, easy to find ammo)
Kimber 1911 .45 Custom TLE/RL ii (Fun, accurate, stopping power)
AR 5.56 Scope/Red dot (Fun, cheap/easy to find ammo)

Last edited:

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

This is why I love this site. We can have these debates in a rational way. As a hunter and gun owner I am often misunderstood so that is why I don't open carry. I must be lucky in the fact that I live in an area where I don't feel like I need to carry all the time. The only time I feel I need to carry is in areas where there are cougars. I've never been in a a grizzly area. Black bears don't really scare me. I've encountered many on solo back country hike and never wished I had a gun to defend myself but often wished I had a camera to shoot a photo.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Yeah the black bears are just huge trash pandas around here. Theyll run from you most often! I wish the world was just one big fluffy pillow no matter where you go.

Its not and I feel that letting your guard down and having to find it again to put it back up again is alittle slow. Its better to be situationally aware everyday. That complacency when your not has bad consequences, its not a bad thing to be aware and prepared. So I carry everyday. I dont live in a bad place nor is it really good ether... some places are worse than others.

Here in Colorado we have had a massive wave of transients in the last 10 years it seems. They tend to be spookier depending on how desperate they get. The drug traffic has gotten pretty bad too. Ive said it before. I have some mental triggers that are always in place. When I cant be armed there are more that I add to the list.

I look at it like this...you run to the store. Just take the 5 dollar bill out of the wallet and go. Figuring I wont need anything else I am fine.. you get to the store and go to check out. That 4 dollar coffee had a raise in price to 6. So now your a dollar short. But if you took that whole wallet. Your golden. You walk out of there with your 6 dollar coffee because you had 2 singles n there from the night before. Its always good to have more than not enough... is to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it creates the problem. I am glad that you can feel safe with out something that you may not ever need.

The training to carry is a must. I really wish that most Ccw courses were more in depth. Because most people that do get them from. 2 hour course that covers laws and 25 rounds of live ammo isnt enough. Also believe that ccw should have a medical course or add on to it as well.

Target shooting is one of those things where I do leave it for another time and another place. If you are on your own and thats what you are out there todo thats great. Plinking is a huge pass time for people. For me range time is another aspect in life it has to have purpose. Do it for training and polishing fundamentals and if i need to work on something. I shoot 200 rounds a week if not more through each of my platforms and most often my edc because its a weapon I enjoy shooting. Ive never been a gun collector. Its alway been one edc pistol and a back up. one rifle and a carbine. Was told at an early age that to be good at something stay on top
of it and going between five different guns never helped me when I went back to my edc. I pickup something thats not a glock these days and it feels like something is wrong with it. I think I find more of the beauty of traveling and overlanding to its own degree so I try and keep those separate. I do have an outdoor range spot that takes a good hour or two trek wheeling to get to. But thats all i am gonna do is go get there shoot and head home. My better half isnt as into firearms as I am so I try and just keep things all about her on our big trips or weekender trips. I find it annoying to go on a trip stop for the night and start setting up camp and hear gun fire from the camp next door or aways away. Normally leaving the next day to go to next nights spot. Passing by that camp that was shooting had trash and liter everywhere from them having their own party. Not everyone but we all have seen that!

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Has anyone traveled to Canada with a firearm. I'm planning an epic trip to Canada this summer and want to take a shotgun because we will be in bear country...any advice or experiences would be helpful...
My wife and I spent three months traveling through Canada and Alaska this past summer . If you are not planning to go to Alaska leave the shotgun at home. You are NOT allowed to use a firearm in self defense against wildlife in Canada. get some bear spray, air horns and in Canada go to Canadian Tire and get some bear bangers . Bear bangers are pen flares that fire a noise maker out an distance to scare a bear away.

I did travel through Canada with my 12 guage 970 and Marlin 45/70 . I had no issues crossing the border and we crossed into Canada three times during our trip. We picked up our handguns in Tok, AK and traveled in Alaska carrying our pistols and the long guns in the overhead rack. If you would like to red about our trip to Deadhorse below is a link to my article in TCT magazine. Hope some of this helps .

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
My new "Truck gun" besides my Glock 26, is a Rock River 5.56 pistol . It fits perfectly in a helmet bag. Takes up little room in my Cayenne.

Grab and go with 40 rds of Federal 62 grain Tactical loads. No need to double tap with these babies. Extra mags fit nicely in the helmet bag pockets.

Attachments