Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

So the stock end plate is replaced with the new brace which now the castle nut is pushed farther back over to secure the buffer tube. When you adjust the stock length the bars stay stationary?
No the bars slide back and forth to three adjustments. Or if you press and hold the lever the brace and the bars completely detach

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I carry a shield 2.0 9mm everyday, I also have a 10.5" AR pistol in 300 blackout as a truck gun. I like to bring a couple plinking guns, 22 pistol and/or rifle and maybe a shotgun if I am just camping somewhere I can shoot.
How do you like the 2.0 shield? I had the first gen model and loved it after I replaced the trigger with a apex duty carry trigger. Heard the new ones have a better trigger. Traded mine for a sig p229 and that was the last s&w

Reactions: PatriotT4R

7mmremmag

Rank III

Advocate II

Youngsville, PA, USA
Member #

How do you like the 2.0 shield? I had the first gen model and loved it after I replaced the trigger with a apex duty carry trigger. Heard the new ones have a better trigger. Traded mine for a sig p229 and that was the last s&w

I love the little thing, trigger is phenomenal for a factory striker fired compact. The added grip texture can be felt carrying in an IWB against bare skin but isn't too bad. It definitely helps when shooting.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

No the bars slide back and forth to three adjustments. Or if you press and hold the lever the brace and the bars completely detach

Ok now I get it … excellent video. The stock end plate is no longer used the new brace holds the spring now and the castle not is part of the brace just farther forward on the brace itself. Yep the bars just move freely back and forth as you adjust the stock. Have to say its very cool ! Will you upgrade the buffer?

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Ok now I get it … excellent video. The stock end plate is no longer used the new brace holds the spring now and the castle not is part of the brace just farther forward on the brace itself. Yep the bars just move freely back and forth as you adjust the stock. Have to say its very cool ! Will you upgrade the buffer?
I have never messed around with different buffer systems, I shot an ar about a month ago that had a jp silent captured spring setup that was smooth!
So maybe go that way? Has good recoil management too. I like the braided wire buffer springs too. But all that is still up in the air

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

I have never messed around with different buffer systems, I shot an ar about a month ago that had a jp silent captured spring setup that was smooth!
So maybe go that way? Has good recoil management too. I like the braided wire buffer springs too. But all that is still up in the air
Yes, JP is awesome! I've seen them on OPTICs Planet for fairly cheap and a few selections to choose from.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Trusty JK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culver City, CA, USA
Member #

NICE!!!!!!! One of my favorite videos to watch on youtube is to watch overlanding videos and rigs. It seemed to me that the overloading community was not very gun friendly. Theres a huge number of people that are campers, hikers and what not that are not involved in firearms and just enjoy different types of outdoor recreation, and that's perfectly fine. I had noticed that in all overloading videos I saw zero firearms. In my opinion they go hand in hand, for the very least for protection when your out in the middle of nowhere from predators human and non human. As a new OB member I am very happy to have seen this thread, I myself try to camp in areas where I can target shoot, I don't like "Camp grounds" because in part the reason to camp is to get away from people and enjoy nature. Also because I like to target shoot and want to be able to be in nature with my side arm strapped to my hip. If I am going to a place where target shooting is allowed than I will bring more than the essentials. Now if I am camping somewhere that I will not be target shooting, I will bring with me a pistol and a shotgun for protection. I was not exactly sure what Overland Bound stood on firearms.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

NICE!!!!!!! One of my favorite videos to watch on youtube is to watch overlanding videos and rigs. It seemed to me that the overloading community was not very gun friendly. Theres a huge number of people that are campers, hikers and what not that are not involved in firearms and just enjoy different types of outdoor recreation, and that's perfectly fine. I had noticed that in all overloading videos I saw zero firearms. In my opinion they go hand in hand, for the very least for protection when your out in the middle of nowhere from predators human and non human. As a new OB member I am very happy to have seen this thread, I myself try to camp in areas where I can target shoot, I don't like "Camp grounds" because in part the reason to camp is to get away from people and enjoy nature. Also because I like to target shoot and want to be able to be in nature with my side arm strapped to my hip. If I am going to a place where target shooting is allowed than I will bring more than the essentials. Now if I am camping somewhere that I will not be target shooting, I will bring with me a pistol and a shotgun for protection. I was not exactly sure what Overland Bound stood on firearms.
As you stated everyone has their own opinion when it comes to firearms and other types of self defense weapons when Overlanding. What makes this site so very different is you can express your own ideologies without push back from other members, as long as we keep the conversations clean and respectful. Weapons now a days can be a very sticky subject to open up for discussion. One thing we all have in common here is not only our Rigs its about nature, community and helping others. I'm a strong advocate for the 2nd but, I also try to use other forms of non-lethal weapons ie ... bear spray and pepper spray. Yes, I carry 90% percent of the time at home while trying not to make it so noticeable to the public just to avoid confrontation. I will have several firearms with me at all times in my own rig to protect myself & family of unexpected company that could potentially cause harm. Honestly its not the four legged creatures I worry about to much its the human threat which can be so much more cunning. I have not yet entertained shooting while Overlanding probably because I just never found the time I get caught up enjoying the scenery or other activities to be honest. Sure I've considered it and would like to experience a day of shooting just as long as its a controlled safe established location.

Trusty JK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culver City, CA, USA
Member #

As you stated everyone has their own opinion when it comes to firearms and other types of self defense weapons when Overlanding. What makes this site so very different is you can express your own ideologies without push back from other members, as long as we keep the conversations clean and respectful. Weapons now a days can be a very sticky subject to open up for discussion. One thing we all have in common here is not only our Rigs its about nature, community and helping others. I'm a strong advocate for the 2nd but, I also try to use other forms of non-lethal weapons ie ... bear spray and pepper spray. Yes, I carry 90% percent of the time at home while trying not to make it so noticeable to the public just to avoid confrontation. I will have several firearms with me at all times in my own rig to protect myself & family of unexpected company that could potentially cause harm. Honestly its not the four legged creatures I worry about to much its the human threat which can be so much more cunning. I have not yet entertained shooting while Overlanding probably because I just never found the time I get caught up enjoying the scenery or other activities to be honest. Sure I've considered it and would like to experience a day of shooting just as long as its a controlled safe established location.
Yes, I'm loving being a member of OB the more and more as I come into the forums. It's great to be able to be so connected to the Overlanding community.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I travel alone so I carried a Sig 225 under my arm and a can of bear spray open carry. Bear spray can be worse than a 9mm hole in some cases. Added a Sig 365 this week for concealed carry so the 225 will be locked up. Cougars have gotten more common where I travel, and tweakers. Bear spray works on both, if you see them first. Just being aware of your surroundings and avoiding confrontation is the best defense.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Am thinking that this community is a lot more mature and most will not flash or even talk about their weapons. Most likely a large number of people here will be armed.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I almost never go in the back country without a firearm, usually my Reminton 870 express tactical 12 gauge. Too many bears and cougars in these mountains not to. I may look into getting a more compact shotgun for that purpose, though, as the remmy is a little on the big side, even with the 18 inch barrel. I guess the breacher choke could put some serious hurt on an attacking critter if need be, though lol.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I travel alone so I carried a Sig 225 under my arm and a can of bear spray open carry. Bear spray can be worse than a 9mm hole in some cases. Added a Sig 365 this week for concealed carry so the 225 will be locked up. Cougars have gotten more common where I travel, and tweakers. Bear spray works on both, if you see them first. Just being aware of your surroundings and avoiding confrontation is the best defense.
The sig 365 is a good blaster! I ran 500 rounds through one an figured id stay with my glock. But for a compact that can run 12+1 and take some pretty hot loads you cant ask for a better rig that sig offers. I ran about 4,000 rds through a sig p229 9mm before switching to a glock 19x and for some reason fell in love with the glock. First one ive ever owned. Now i carry the glock 45 which is the black version of the 19x.

I think someone that chooses to carry or arm them selves takes it on as a lifestyle. There for likes to bs about them. Not necessarily flash them. I grew up with them and have always been away of life for me. A tool. My family never had much money growing up so we used it to put food in the freezer. So talking caliber or platforms was like talking about your favorite cut of meat. Always had that one uncle that had to have the biggest they made. Now look at them as protection tool because i dont hunt anymore.

I keep range time as just that range time. Out on a trip, I am normally trying to enjoy the sights an spend time with the better half which we almost always have our dogs with. Plus when your traveling you seem to always run across other people coming and going. I hate being a bother.

Range time is a focus of its own for me. I dont go out to just shoot or plink. Its always been a purpose. I love shooting but to just focus on that to clear my mind and to work with that tool. With drills and training.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Today, because I could, I added another 10/22 to my little collection - this one is the Talo 10/22 Takedown on a Magpul Backpacker stock. The barrel is 16ish" with a threaded end for a suppressor or flash hider, hi-vis sights, and comes with 4 10x Ruger mags, three of which can stow in the stock. Just very cool and fills a small void in my camping firearms (small and easy to carry in a small pack).

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/specSheets/21188.html

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Today, because I could, I added another 10/22 to my little collection - this one is the Talo 10/22 Takedown on a Magpul Backpacker stock. The barrel is 16ish" with a threaded end for a suppressor or flash hider, hi-vis sights, and comes with 4 10x Ruger mags, three of which can stow in the stock. Just very cool and fills a small void in my camping firearms (small and easy to carry in a small pack).

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/specSheets/21188.html
I swear these 10/22s can withstand a nuclear bomb. Very cool!

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I swear these 10/22s can withstand a nuclear bomb. Very cool!
Yeah, they're built right and can take a beating and will last forever. If you go to the Coyote Works YouTube channel, he did a video where he buried a SHTF cache out in the desert in Oregon that had a 10/22 in it. It sat there for a year untouched. after the year, he dug it up, took it out of the canister it was buried in and loaded it up and shot it without any cleaning or disassembly. Worked like a champ.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I've been camping and exploring since I was a youngster and I'm now 68 (behind my eyes, I'm still 35!). I was a California deputy sheriff for a few years but was never in the military. OK, that's my background. I have felt for decades that the best all around weapon for survival, practice, fun, economics, and suitability for the widest variety of situations is the .22 rifle paired with a .22 pistol. I have owned a Ruger 10/22 of one sort or another since I was 17 back in 1968.

It's not the most effective self-defense round nor the most effective round for larger game but between the cost, weight, accuracy, and ability to carry a thousand rounds or more easily, I'm hard pressed to accept that my AR/AKs or my larger bore handguns are a better *all-around* choice for a survival weapon. Sure, I carry my FNP-45 (15x.45 rounds) in my rig and either a Kahr PM9 or Ruger LCP in my pocket but if I could only own one firearm for all around use, it would be a Ruger 10/22 variant like this Magpul Backpacker stocked .22. Shotguns? Absolutely have one but it's not the best *all-around* weapon IMO. A guy with a .22 rifle, a .22 pistol, and a 12 gauge shotgun should be prepared for about anything.

I should add that there was a period I that the AR 5.56 was the best choice but these days, I think of that one more as a zombie apocalypse choice.

Last edited: