Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

The confusion regarding laws and states being different has a purpose. As we all know, laws are made by people that, for the most part, don't know their constituents. The convoluted laws we have are meant to keep you from carrying. You are not supposed to have the intellect, nor the want, to sit there and learn the gun laws of 50 states. Unfortunately for the law makers, you are and you do. Now, I have my problems with the government telling states what they can and cannot do. But at this point it may be a necessary intervention. Please see: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38 . What do you think of this? I think it may be a positive for people like us, but I'm in no way a lawyer, and there's always a catch.

That bill was supposed to go up for a vote or something but Parkland happened and now it is just going to sit until after the midterms I am afraid.

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

Does anyone carry firearms or bring a firearm while camping in the woods or overlanding in general?
I'm in California and the gun laws here are very strict.
How do you protect yourselves from animals in the wild?

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

[EDIT] This post and several following threads have ben moved to the already existing carry discussion. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

As of now you can open carry in NC. I also have a concealed carry permit.
Good the hear about NC and open carry. Here in KS we've been able to open carry for as long as I can remember. I don't think open carry has ever been banned here. There are some municipalities that tried to ban it within their city limits, but that was shot down.

A few years ago it was also made legal to CC without a permit.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I conceal almost the time. Everywhere except 30.06 (legally banned cc) areas and government buildings. All day every day at work too.

I’ve considered moving to open carry when out and about camping. Mainly haven’t because of the cost of a new holster and belt setup. It would be much more convenient and comfortable though. Concealed carry is ok for going about your regular day, but I find it incredibly annoying when I’m jumping about being active outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Correus

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
You are asking a very broad question and getting responses from all over.

I have had my California concealed carry permit for over 30 years. To answer your question, yes, I carry when camping and overlanding, but I am careful to know the laws where I am traveling. The truth is that you are probably much more likely to get in trouble for breaking the law than you are likely to need to use a weapon to defend yourself.

So while I know that the previous responses come from well intentioned people, you should not be taking advice on when or how to carry from ANY Internet forum.

If you are concerned about protection out in the wild then certainly a firearm is one tool that you could have at your disposal. But it is far and away the most dangerous tool. You need good training, you need to practice, and you need to know the pertinent laws.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

You are asking a very broad question and getting responses from all over.

I have had my California concealed carry permit for over 30 years. To answer your question, yes, I carry when camping and overlanding, but I am careful to know the laws where I am traveling. The truth is that you are probably much more likely to get in trouble for breaking the law than you are likely to need to use a weapon to defend yourself.

So while I know that the previous responses come from well intentioned people, you should not be taking advice on when or how to carry from ANY Internet forum.

If you are concerned about protection out in the wild then certainly a firearm is one tool that you could have at your disposal. But it is far and away the most dangerous tool. You need good training, you need to practice, and you need to know the pertinent laws.
What he said..........