• HTML tutorial

Big110

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portland, Maine
Member #

I know we were talking "strips" but I found these to be just as good and have swapped over to them exclusively on my boat where I once had LED ropes. Just one puts out enough light to take place of the entire rope. They are pricey- about $65.00 but Rigid is by far one of the leaders in LED technology and all USA made ta boot.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family:11

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You have them wired to a switch?
Yes, the deal was either a toggle switch, a pin activated switch (turns on when the hood is opened), or both. I opted for the toggle switch under the hood. I think it was something like $59 pre-wired with switch and sticky-back stops. Sure, I could have made my own for less, but I ordered it before I had the 4Runner, so couldn't measure, and I've never messed with LEDs or soldered anything that tiny.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I also put these in the back of my Outback that I had prior to the 4Runner, and will do something similar in the new truck.

Copied from my Outback build thread: Here are the LED light strips I added to the cargo area. $7.19 a pair on Amazon. http://amzn.to/1IwVlO9 I'll be adding two more on the lift gate to act as flood/puddle lights.

I installed the other two LED strips on the lift gate today. Same parts and wiring as above, except this time I used the always hot side of the third dome light, and added a switch on the inside of the door. This way I can have the lift gate open and not have the overhead lights on, or if I'm sleeping inside, I can have these lights on without any other interior lights. There's adhesive around the switch that I'll peel off after it drys.

Colorado Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Collins, Colorado
Member #

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I buy the reels of LEDs off Amazon (or Ebay) for my lighting. Have a strip just inside the cargo door on the inside on the roof to light up the cargo area and another strip in the storage area in my cargo door. Both are on switches and run off the house battery. I have the dome lights in the truck turned off so they are not wearing down the battery when camping and the truck is open.

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I've used the LED lighting strips that come on a roll and you cut to your own length too. This one has been there a couple of years and gives out surprising amount of light.

Also saw this setup using the same idea.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk