Last minute trip to Telluride, Silverton and Ouray area... running some high trials!

• HTML tutorial

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Taking my wife and 2 kids on a Colorado trip next week and plan to run some of the trails and passes around Sliverton, Ouray and Telluride. We've been out there before, about three years ago and drove over Imogene and Ophir Passes. I'm thinking of driving the Alpine loop starting in Ouray and very interested in Yankee Boy Basin, Last Dollar Road, Black Bear Pass (the easy part) as well. This is a last minute trip so I didn't post a rally point (though I still might) but thought I'd post something to see if anyone has suggestions or is even interested in joining me for any of those trails next week. I'm pretty flexible and will be on trails, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and maybe Friday. We're also interested in other fun activities in and around the area. Been reading and watching lots of suggestions online but always happy to hear other folks suggestions and experiences.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Would you want to stay out next Week Friday & Saturday if so would you like some Company? I would have Darlene and Her Oldest Son and Wife and there Two boys

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Would you want to stay out next Week Friday & Saturday if so would you like some Company? I would have Darlene and Her Oldest Son and Wife and there Two boys
Friday we are planning to start back to SoCal. But I might be able to stay and stretch into Friday to run a trail in the morning.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Taking my wife and 2 kids on a Colorado trip next week and plan to run some of the trails and passes around Sliverton, Ouray and Telluride. We've been out there before, about three years ago and drove over Imogene and Ophir Passes. I'm thinking of driving the Alpine loop starting in Ouray and very interested in Yankee Boy Basin, Last Dollar Road, Black Bear Pass (the easy part) as well. This is a last minute trip so I didn't post a rally point (though I still might) but thought I'd post something to see if anyone has suggestions or is even interested in joining me for any of those trails next week. I'm pretty flexible and will be on trails, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and maybe Friday. We're also interested in other fun activities in and around the area. Been reading and watching lots of suggestions online but always happy to hear other folks suggestions and experiences.
Try and head over to San Juan Mountain Guides in Ouray ( Canyoning/Canyoneering in Ouray, Colorado - San Juan Mountain Guides (mtnguide.net) ) and rent some via ferrata gear. (or just go with them on a guided trip) We did the Downstream last year and want to do the double and hit up the Upstream and come back for the Downstream. After a day on the via ferrata, head over to Maggie's Kitchen for a delicious burger. Lastly if you want a good coffee shop head over to Mojo's Coffee & Tea!

Also enjoy Yankee Boy Basin! There is definitely some good camp spots up one of the roads. (All I can remember is after you enter the basin it was the first left. Maybe Governor Basin Road.) We rented a side by side since the Forester we had at the time was just not cut from the off-roading cloth for that type of adventure. If that isn't a good spot check out FS14 just on the north side of town. Be careful though because there are some private spots.

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Isaac_7e7dbf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Rodriguez
Do you recommend any places to eat around Ouray, Silverton, and Durango? I’m heading out to that area next week with my family.

Thanks in advance!

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Do you recommend any places to eat around Ouray, Silverton, and Durango? I’m heading out to that area next week with my family.

Thanks in advance!
Brick house 737 in Ouray is outstanding! Gold belt Bar and Grill was pretty good too. Telluride has a million places but we didn’t really eat there. Silverton is honestly a little limited except my 12 year old son loved the Funnel Cake Factory!

Reactions: Isaac_7e7dbf

Isaac_7e7dbf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Rodriguez
I’ll definitely check that out. Thank you! It’s our first time on a weeklong exploration. We’ll be doing the lite rated trails this go around.

Isaac_7e7dbf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Rodriguez

Thanks in advance!
Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride is great but you will have to wait in line. We usually just take food for a picnic and eat at the city park.
Thanks! Which passes have you done to get to Telluride?

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
We did Ophir, Poughkeepsie Gulch then over Hurrican Pass. We tried Black Bear Pass but got almost to the steps and snow was blocking the road. You could see where folks had created a "new trail" to get around it but I felt too guilty to use it... so we turned around. We also drove over Imogene and up to Yankee Boy Basin. All of the trails were stunning. Poughkeepsie was the most challenging in our rig. Yankee Boy Basin was also a bit challenging as we were climbing up in light rain and it made it a little more slippery. But overall nothing was really hard... just steep, narrow and rocking in places.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

We did Ophir, Poughkeepsie Gulch then over Hurrican Pass. We tried Black Bear Pass but got almost to the steps and snow was blocking the road. You could see where folks had created a "new trail" to get around it but I felt too guilty to use it... so we turned around. We also drove over Imogene and up to Yankee Boy Basin. All of the trails were stunning. Poughkeepsie was the most challenging in our rig. Yankee Boy Basin was also a bit challenging as we were climbing up in light rain and it made it a little more slippery. But overall nothing was really hard... just steep, narrow and rocking in places.
That big ole aircraft carrier you drive around in, must of felt Huge on Black Bear I bet

Isaac_7e7dbf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Rodriguez
I’m Colorado bound right now, with my family of 3. I’m really excited to finally get on some trails. We’ll be doing some easy trails though for our first time. We’re thinking about the Alpine loop indefinitely with some scenic trails around the area. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
I’m Colorado bound right now, with my family of 3. I’m really excited to finally get on some trails. We’ll be doing some easy trails though for our first time. We’re thinking about the Alpine loop indefinitely with some scenic trails around the area. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Will look forward to pics and how it all goes. Have fun!

Reactions: Isaac_7e7dbf

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Make sure to do Imogene. It is a fan favorite. Have a blast.