Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi, new guy here! Is there a spot to sign up? I'd like to join!

I've done the southern part of the WABDR twice, last time was last summer. I didn't see much group sized dispersed camping until I hit Bethel RIdge, but Council Lake (46.26281, -121.63219) is one of the nicer free campgrounds that I've seen. We stayed by Bear Lake just off Bethel Ridge (46.7275, -121.019) as well - a good dispersed option.

For the Subaru - everything should be easy enough until you hit Bethel Ridge, and at that point there's a decent bypass to avoid the deeply rutted & rattly main trail. Only other potential troublespot before Ellensburg was around (46.836,-120.8983) iirc and here I'm not aware of any bypass. I haven't done the Ellensburg to Cashmere section, I've been advised against it. Both those sections I mentioned might be doable with the Subaru, but a trailer behind it could be a challenge.
Hey Ole, I was looking at the RP last night and saw it was full... but send @Greg Eigsti a message saying you want to attend. List coms you have and if you have any spare gear. Greg is keeping a list, and we are making this event larger than Bilbo initially had planned. Even if we have to split up into several groups, all are welcome to attend.

Also be in the lookout for the Northwest Regional Campout and Expedition coming up September 4-7.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hi, new guy here! Is there a spot to sign up? I'd like to join!

I've done the southern part of the WABDR twice, last time was last summer. I didn't see much group sized dispersed camping until I hit Bethel RIdge, but Council Lake (46.26281, -121.63219) is one of the nicer free campgrounds that I've seen. We stayed by Bear Lake just off Bethel Ridge (46.7275, -121.019) as well - a good dispersed option.

For the Subaru - everything should be easy enough until you hit Bethel Ridge, and at that point there's a decent bypass to avoid the deeply rutted & rattly main trail. Only other potential troublespot before Ellensburg was around (46.836,-120.8983) iirc and here I'm not aware of any bypass. I haven't done the Ellensburg to Cashmere section, I've been advised against it. Both those sections I mentioned might be doable with the Subaru, but a trailer behind it could be a challenge.
This is gold! Thanks @mtn! Will get those waypoints into the GPX file.

I know that you want to attend but see the trip is full. Wondering if there is a standby list or if we should start it now?

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hey Ole, I was looking at the RP last night and saw it was full... but send @Greg Eigsti a message saying you want to attend. List coms you have and if you have any spare gear. Greg is keeping a list, and we are making this event larger than Bilbo initially had planned. Even if we have to split up into several groups, all are welcome to attend.

Also be in the lookout for the Northwest Regional Campout and Expedition coming up September 4-7.
Had not seen this, clears up some confusion on my part. Hahahaha!

Welcome aboard @mtn! Forget a lot of what I just said in DM. Hahahaha.

If I’m gonna be makin lists and such I should probably share them out. Google? Dropbox? Preference?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Created a simple Google sheet with two tabs; Attendees and Comms. Its just a start...

This sheet is wide open, anybody with the link can edit. Add yourself to the lists and I will work through the backlog of DMs that I have.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Yeah and there is my cell phone number. Sigh. (fixed that) Added cell phone to aid in meet-up and other communications. DM me and I'll keep a private list for the group only.

BTW - the group names are fruit themed, no exceptions! ;)

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

So looks like the big 3 are taken care of... what other points are we missing?

I see the original RP is for 10 rigs...
With the Corona Virus Shelter In Place Policies, are we going to need to come up with a plan B?
No, not unless we cannot buy fuel and food! If NWOR is cancelled! For those that want, if that happens, we can continue on to Chelan, WA.on the WABDR. I have 20 acres that all can camp on and discuss if we want to continue on and do all the sections of the WABDR. Not sick, fuel, food and legal to do so, I will still be running this trip! Vance.

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Created a simple Google sheet with two tabs; Attendees and Comms. Its just a start...

This sheet is wide open, anybody with the link can edit. Add yourself to the lists and I will work through the backlog of DMs that I have.

Greg Eigsti,
My Jeep is Red, so count me in as Red Apple! My Jeep is powered by 5 drunk squirrels drinking hard Apple Cider! Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
No, not unless we cannot buy fuel and food! If NWOR is cancelled! For those that want, if that happens, we can continue on to Chelan, WA.on the WABDR. I have 20 acres that all can camp on and discuss if we want to continue on and do all the sections of the WABDR. Not sick, fuel, food and legal to do so, I will still be running this trip! Vance.
I love you man! Very generous offer! Playing it by ear... Are those the smaller native brown squirrels or the larger gray imports? Made hard apple cider once, very smooth, very tasty, extremely dangerous ;)

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I love you man! Very generous offer! Playing it by ear... Are those the smaller native brown squirrels or the larger gray imports? Made hard apple cider once, very smooth, very tasty, extremely dangerous ;)
Well, unless I am dead I plan to go. I do not have tickets yet for NWOR, I was kind of waiting to see what was going to happen, but I may just buy them and hope for a refund if they cancel it.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Got to updating the lists this morning and see that some folks beat me to it. Thanks!

I found some weird formatting in the sheet from anonymous users that did not look like it should be there so I un-shared the sheet for now. Feel free to DM me and I'll update or give access individually, sorry!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Has everyone got tickets for the Rally? I am getting more and more nervous about getting them. I am 100% in on doing the BDR, but with the whole virus thing I don't want to get tickets and then have it canceled. I also don't want to get tickets and them still do it, but have half of the vendors and instructors not show up. Or, get tickets and have them reschedule it for a time that I can't attend.
At this point I am doing the WABDR even if I have to do it alone, but I may wait for the expo and buy the tickets at the gate, even though it is a bit more money.
What are you guys doing? Did you get tickets or not?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Has everyone got tickets for the Rally? I am getting more and more nervous about getting them. I am 100% in on doing the BDR, but with the whole virus thing I don't want to get tickets and then have it canceled. I also don't want to get tickets and them still do it, but have half of the vendors and instructors not show up. Or, get tickets and have them reschedule it for a time that I can't attend.
At this point I am doing the WABDR even if I have to do it alone, but I may wait for the expo and buy the tickets at the gate, even though it is a bit more money.
What are you guys doing? Did you get tickets or not?
oldmopars,
I am going to wait also. I paid for an event to Expo East in conjunction with FourWheeler magazine, event-brite, never did refund my $300. Event brite is the same company that gets your money for tickets to NWOR if I am not mistaken. Vance.

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
hi all,
are the concerns about the trailer due to tight turns in switchbacks and such? or low ground clearance? or just the tow vehicle?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

hi all,
are the concerns about the trailer due to tight turns in switchbacks and such? or low ground clearance? or just the tow vehicle?
taliv,
From my experience, it is more to do with some of the hill climbing towing a trailer without low range. Subaru Outbacks, Foresters are great capable vehicles. But loaded down with the extra gear I think would be hard on say an auto transmission in hot weather doing that plus towing a trailer. Some of the Members of the group are willing to hook up and pull the trailer in those situations, then can be hooked back up on the Subaru. Hope this helps? Vance.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
hi all,
In all of your free time ;) Go check out WABDR videos (sections 1-3) on youtube (I liked Expedition Overland's series). @Heidi was not sure about doing the WABDR but after seeing the vids she is onboard. You can get a pretty good feeling for the difficulty of the route. I believe section 2 has the most rocky climbs but those seem to be interspersed with smoother tracks. Don't think you will have an issue with a 3/4 ton diesel and trailer, might be some cramped turns...

@oldmopars / @4wheelspulling - WABDR is our main interest and are up for it if it makes sense (and if our child care does not fall through). NWOR was always a maybe for us and now likely a no.

Reactions: RainGoat and taliv

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

thanks! I've been wanting to try this route. i have a 3/4 ton diesel and an 11' trailer. doesn't turn on a dime, but hills are fine. going with a group would be awesome.
taliv,
Sorry, I thought you were a Member with a Subaru that was hoping to go! You will have no problem towing a trailer on the WABDR. Might get some new pinstripes on the truck and trailer though! Make sure you get in contact with @Greg Eigsti, as he is the one setting this up. My guess we may have to have some limit on the number in the group. Also Greg is putting together a list on who is bringing what equipment, like coms and the like. By the way, I have a 99’ Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 pickup with a manual transmission. Love my truck! Will not be bringing that though on this trip! Vance.