Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you are planning on attending PM me with the comm gear that you will be bringing or if you need to borrow and I'll keep a list. @oldmopars I can help you out with the Baofeng.
I have some extra gear and I know others do too.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Sounds like communications is taken care off, that is good. My thoughts too is if someone does not have something to use we can have them in the middle of the group and use Smileyshaun’s methods for communication! Haha. Vance.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I think we have nav covered as well. Attached a GPX of the route earlier in this thread and will update it with more camp-spots as we get closer. Like @4wheelspulling pointed out for comms we can put those without charts/GPS in the middle.
If someone wants to refresh me on paper charts, compass and dead reckoning I'm all ears!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

One more thought to ask, does anyone have a small chain saw that they are planing to bring? Have to admit, I’m getting excited about this coming trip! Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I believe that someone mentioned above they planned on bringing a chainsaw. I'd like to get a Milwaukee M18 chainsaw before the trip but they are not cheap. Will have an axe, shovel and maybe a rake. Also have a winch and some recovery gear that could pull something heavy out of the way.
You aint the only excited one!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think we have nav covered as well. Attached a GPX of the route earlier in this thread and will update it with more camp-spots as we get closer. Like @4wheelspulling pointed out for comms we can put those without charts/GPS in the middle.
If someone wants to refresh me on paper charts, compass and dead reckoning I'm all ears!
I can help in that area... I need maps and/or charts of the area.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
There is a Butler map specifically for the Washington BDR which you can find here: Butler Motorcycle Maps - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)
It is a good map for planning but I will supplement with Gaia or something similar.
@M Rose here is a pointer to Butler charts from @Bilbo; I took a quick look at they have an overview map as well as more detailed maps for each section. I believe that we will need sections 1-3 but am not sure if I will get the detailed ones as I'll have electronic nav as well.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I do have a little Baofang UV5-R. I don't really know how to use it yet, but I do have it.
You’re in a conundrum. Not having the proper license to operate your illegal radio puts us licensed operators at risk to show you how to use it. Your Baofang UV5-R is specifically listed as being illegal as of September 2019 for use other than the Amateur Bands by a licensed FCC Technician or above class. If you have a licensed Ham in your rig you can use it under his call sign as a third party. But without getting certified that is the only way you can use your radio legally. Your radio is not legal to use on any FMRS/GRMS Frequencies.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
You’re in a conundrum. Not having the proper license to operate your illegal radio puts us licensed operators at risk to show you how to use it. Your Baofang UV5-R is specifically listed as being illegal as of September 2019 for use other than the Amateur Bands by a licensed FCC Technician or above class. If you have a licensed Ham in your rig you can use it under his call sign as a third party. But without getting certified that is the only way you can use your radio legally. Your radio is not legal to use on any FMRS/GRMS Frequencies.
Thanks for clearing the air @M Rose; I should have spoken up but did not. Hangs head in shame.
We should have enough hams and walkie talkies to cover the group; let me know if you need to borrow or can provide.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So looks like the big 3 are taken care of... what other points are we missing?

I see the original RP is for 10 rigs...
With the Corona Virus Shelter In Place Policies, are we going to need to come up with a plan B?

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So looks like the big 3 are taken care of... what other points are we missing?

I see the original RP is for 10 rigs...
With the Corona Virus Shelter In Place Policies, are we going to need to come up with a plan B?
You had to go and say it ;) I am thinking wait and see; I am also wondering if NWOR will happen (saw nothing on their site as of a day or so ago, but things are fluid). Our plans did not originally include the NWOR and we are up for the adventure if it makes sense. Plan A or plan B we want to go!

Do folks want to book spots in a campground, camp dispersed or have somebody make the decision for you? :) Anybody done the route and can fill in on possibilities? We will have to keep an eye on campground closures, etc.

Food. I really like group-ish meals but don't know if that is wise right now. @Heidi and I are currently thinking quick and easy individual meals.

We may not get to go in June but we can have fun planning. What else are you going to do? Go nightclubbing? ;)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We may not get to go in June but we can have fun planning. What else are you going to do? Go nightclubbing? ;)
That is my point... if we have to postpone the trip, that is fine... just thought it might open up a bit more planning discussion.

Personally we would be dispersed camping not only safer, but cheaper as well. I like the idea of group cooking... but yes right now, might not be the best plan.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Granted I’ve only been on the first 3 sections but you would have to work rather hard to get off track of you have the butler maps , but after you come down off bethel ridge and through what felt like the longest big rock gravel road ever ( I was in a stock 92 4 runner with all season tires so it may have not have been as bad as I remember ) there was only a couple spots where I was confused on where to go but managed to find my way with no problems . It’s really a great little drive with some fantastic views . Wish going was a possibility but even if I could go you would probably get tired of the honking and yelling

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Granted I’ve only been on the first 3 sections but you would have to work rather hard to get off track of you have the butler maps , but after you come down off bethel ridge and through what felt like the longest big rock gravel road ever ( I was in a stock 92 4 runner with all season tires so it may have not have been as bad as I remember ) there was only a couple spots where I was confused on where to go but managed to find my way with no problems . It’s really a great little drive with some fantastic views . Wish going was a possibility but even if I could go you would probably get tired of the honking and yelling
We have coms for you Shaun... You better be coming

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thank you for your concern, I was not meaning that I wanted anyone to show me how to illegally use it to transmit, I was hoping someone would show me how to use it to receive only, so I could monitor and be in the loop.
However yesterday I started studying for the HAM test. I bought a study guide and I hope to take the test soon provided I can find a location that will give it.
I would never ask anyone to do anything illegal, that would not be fair to them. I got the radio with the intent to get the license and am working on that right now.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you for your concern, I was not meaning that I wanted anyone to show me how to illegally use it to transmit, I was hoping someone would show me how to use it to receive only, so I could monitor and be in the loop.
However yesterday I started studying for the HAM test. I bought a study guide and I hope to take the test soon provided I can find a location that will give it.
I would never ask anyone to do anything illegal, that would not be fair to them. I got the radio with the intent to get the license and am working on that right now.
It might be May before you can take the test at the soonest... Ham club meetings are shut down for the moment... DM me and I will see if I can find your local ham club President for you to get in touch with and ask questions about testing.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Hi, new guy here! Is there a spot to sign up? I'd like to join!

I've done the southern part of the WABDR twice, last time was last summer. I didn't see much group sized dispersed camping until I hit Bethel RIdge, but Council Lake (46.26281, -121.63219) is one of the nicer free campgrounds that I've seen. We stayed by Bear Lake just off Bethel Ridge (46.7275, -121.019) as well - a good dispersed option.

For the Subaru - everything should be easy enough until you hit Bethel Ridge, and at that point there's a decent bypass to avoid the deeply rutted & rattly main trail. Only other potential troublespot before Ellensburg was around (46.836,-120.8983) iirc and here I'm not aware of any bypass. I haven't done the Ellensburg to Cashmere section, I've been advised against it. Both those sections I mentioned might be doable with the Subaru, but a trailer behind it could be a challenge.