Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Just wondering if anyone has real world experience using a jump starting device with enough juice to turn over a 6.5L GM diesel.

Let's just say....theoretically... that I were to leave a dome light on for 3 days.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I have a Matco Tools jump pack that has been an absolute lifesaver, the batteries in my truck used to die if it wasn't started every 4-5 days and the Matco VERSAPRO saved me a handful of times, but as it's getting older I'm thinking it may be time to replace it as it's struggling these days. Ultimately upgrading to top post batteries from the side post made a huge difference for me also, although that was probably a combination of the new batteries and cables more than it was the post orientation. If jumpstarting the old 6.5 is going to be a regular occurrence I would recommend one specifically designed for big diesels. I did have my jump box and a Peterbilt hooked up to my truck once and still couldn't get it to spin, but that was after over two weeks of sitting.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I have had multiple products from DBPower that I have used to start several large V8 motors, and countless other folks in parking lots. I easily could recommend these, and they are pretty compact and multifunction.

Just check the size, but this one should be beefy enough.

Amazon.com: DBPOWER 2000A/20800mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (UP to 8.0L Gas/6.5L Diesel Engines) 12V Auto Lithium-Ion Battery Booster with Smart Clamp Cables, Quick Charge, and LED Flashlight : Automotive
Amazon.com: DBPOWER Car Battery Jump Starter 2500A 21800mAh - for up to 8.0L Gasoline/6.5L Diesel Engines, Portable 12V Auto Battery Booster, Power Pack, Quick Charging : Automotive

Last edited:
Reactions: ZRex

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I've used the NOCO GB150 for around three years on the farm. It starts 150+ HP tractors and combines with no problems and holds a charge forever. It you're a member of Chevy Truck Legends, its sold on GM's Accessory website for twenty off.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I've used the NOCO GB150 for around three years on the farm. It starts 150+ HP tractors and combines with no problems and holds a charge forever. It you're a member of Chevy Truck Legends, its sold on GM's Accessory website for twenty off.
I can vouch for the NOCO GB150. I have had one for several years and it holds a charge pretty well and does a surprisingly good job. Not cheap....I won mine in a raffle.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
It looks like NOCO has the normal Overland price markup. The NOCO 150 is just a tad stronger than the DBPower one listed in this thread, the DBPower costs $90 while the NOCO 150 is $300.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have used the Wagan Tech iOnBoost on a 6.5l and it worked great, didn't even deplete it the whole way.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have used the Wagan Tech iOnBoost on a 6.5l and it worked great, didn't even deplete it the whole way.
Just got an email from Overland Bound, on sale thru them for $108 with $10 shipping, mine is on the way!

iOnBoost™ V10 TORQUE

Reactions: AlexAtWagan

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Spare battery might make more sense in a fullsize like that.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I won a GG150 in a raffle at work. It is great. Not great enough for me to pay $300+ for , but hey...it was free to me.

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
Thanks for the shout out @Kent R !

If you want to see our iOnBoost V10 Torque jumpstart a 6.6L Duramax Diesel, check this out:

We've personally used it to jumpstart our 4.7L V8 Land Cruiser 56 times on one charge:

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I used the iOnBoost V10 this weekend on a fairly big diesel tractor at our hunting camp and it started that tractor with ease!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
If you have a video, we'd love to see it! Thanks!
I don't have a video but when I go up the week after Christmas I'll use it to start the Mahindra again and the John Deer we have on site and video them. The guy that owns the property couldn't believe it when I showed him the size of it and that I started the Mahindra with it. I believe it's a Mahindra anyways, older red tractor. I have an older jump pack 4 times the size of the iOnboost and I left it at the hunting camp, don't need it in my truck anymore now that I have the iOnboost and tested it, very impressed!

BTW, glad I ordered it when I did, looks like OverlandBound is sold out now!

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
I don't have a video but when I go up the week after Christmas I'll use it to start the Mahindra again and the John Deer we have on site and video them. The guy that owns the property couldn't believe it when I showed him the size of it and that I started the Mahindra with it. I believe it's a Mahindra anyways, older red tractor. I have an older jump pack 4 times the size of the iOnboost and I left it at the hunting camp, don't need it in my truck anymore now that I have the iOnboost and tested it, very impressed!

BTW, glad I ordered it when I did, looks like OverlandBound is sold out now!
Sounds good! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Btw, Mahindra--COOL!!

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I live in Canada. I dont use jumpstarts for my diesel. I wire in isolated batteries just for my starter. When its -20 nothing wants to start. But two extra batteries go along way when you uave to crank her over for a minute.