JKU - Looking for a better cargo storage set up for overland

• HTML tutorial

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

There are some great options out there for storage, but not everything fits properly or it is too heavy, or permanent without letting you put anything else in the back when not overlanding.

Does anyone have a good system or set up for their trips? It doesn’t have to be fancy, but something that utilizes the space effectively.

Pictures if you have them would be great!

Currently I have:
  • 3 Plano 68 Quart Totes: (1) for kitchen, (1) for food, and (1) for camp
  • Igloo 55 Gallon Sportsman Cooler, would like to upgrade to refrigeration. But then I would add a second battery and so on. Not ready for that yet.
  • Cargo Net to keep it all in place.
  • Popup shower tent
  • CGI Outdoor Slim Folding Cook Station (not small enough) it gets tied down on top of everything.
  • Ryobi Canvas tool bag for all the tools. I’d like something durable and secure to attach to my roof rack during trips.
  • 3 40 Litter Outdoor Backpacks that we can synch down for everyone’s clothing and personal things.
Just some of the stuff.
IMG_5688.JPG

Reactions: Nickzero
S

SubeeBen

Sounds & looks good what you have now , what exactly are you wanting to change or accomplish in the long run?

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I removed the rear seat and built a small platform to keep the floor level. Inside i keep the solar kit, clothes, recovery gear, and loose extras. Mostly i just utilize my roof space (2 totes and tent) and a cargo basket (cooler and portajohnny) for the rest. Weight distribution was the killer so i welded a receiver to the front bumper and put the cargo basket on the front instead of the ass end. Much better ride now.

20170903_180611.jpg 20170811_173830.jpg 20170526_152920.jpg
Now im working on a trailer since i cant talk her out of packing less gear...lol

S

SubeeBen

Glenn I take it your favorite color is blue ha ha . Nice looking build , interesting configuration on the front of your Jeep does it affect you cooling of your radiator ?

Reactions: Glenn

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I build a trail rack to get some of the stuff easily reached. In the spring, I like to be able to reach my chainsaw without climbing on to the roof rack. I use Rigid boxes from Home Depot, and have a 65qt Yeti cooler.

DE9C00D0-A784-4222-9D39-C4CB3583B199.jpeg

I also have a interior rack to help with storage. My dogs love it.

39513CD5-9116-4056-BD20-B6E0DDA830C1.jpeg

The project this winter is a trailer. Now my roof rack is empty, for now at least...EA046DE7-D97B-4232-8D8A-F7583E9C9C1B.jpeg

Reactions: Glenn

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I may pick up a few of those Plano boxes for when I move out to CO. I could always use them for my overland excursions as well. Right now I am using Front Runner totes inside for my gear and necessities.