Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
I use this can from Wavian. Same brand as my metal diesel Jerry can. It has a tap on the bottom so you can use the included spout instead of pouring or you can attach a house to it since it had regular house threads. It doesn't leak.

Here is the hose I use

Last edited:

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I have a few Scepter 5 gallon water containers but what I use most often is the 4 gallon Aqua-Tainer. For drinking water and coffee, I use Costco bottled water - $3 for 40 500 mL bottles.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have a few Scepter 5 gallon water containers but what I use most often is the 4 gallon Aqua-Tainer. For drinking water and coffee, I use Costco bottled water - $3 for 40 500 mL bottles.
Sceptor x3..US all7 military, plus 3x British military cans. All of them 5 gallan size. I also have 1x old school military steel water can that is only good for non potable water...aka...fire suppression. Covers state fire season requirements when combined with a shovel and axe.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Great looking rig!!
What brand of water/fuel can holder is that........MIKE W,....?....... Are there any sharp edges that could/would cause possible damage to a plastic water container? Also the locking strap band, does it fit with a tight retention? I ask, as 4x overland has stated that if you have 'play' in the retainer, it will break at some point. He documented this (Andrew St. Pierre White) on a video he made.
I love those Scepter fuel and water cans, all military grade. I found the water spigot screw on funnels fairly cheap. The special fuel nozzle was very $$ ' spendy', and i have so far passed on one. I still hope to locate a more reasonable alternative (surplus ?) at some point.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

What brand of water/fuel can holder is that........MIKE W,....?....... Are there any sharp edges that could/would cause possible damage to a plastic water container? Also the locking strap band, does it fit with a tight retention? I ask, as 4x overland has stated that if you have 'play' in the retainer, it will break at some point. He documented this (Andrew St. Pierre White) on a video he made.
I love those Scepter fuel and water cans, all military grade. I found the water spigot screw on funnels fairly cheap. The special fuel nozzle was very $$ ' spendy', and i have so far passed on one. I still hope to locate a more reasonable alternative (surplus ?) at some point.
Hey man. This is the Rock Slide Engineering EZ Strap kit which can hold anything you can mount to the factory holes drilled in the plates. Other are no sharp edges and the pax mounts are solid as hell. --- the strap is thick nylon and uses a pretty heafty ratchet. It does not move! Highly recommend to those who want to save space on their rig or those not wanting to buy a new rear tire carrier in order to mount rotopax. Check them out!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Reliance makes a very popular water jug, very inexpensive. I've had mine several years and it's survived some hard times weather and temp wise.

Used these for many years in Scouts. I think we're going to have to stick with plastic unfortunately, so I might be going with the Scepter mil-spec ones so they'll work in a jerry can holder whenever I get a swingout bumper.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Been using the Scepter 5 gallon containers for years, easy to clean and purify. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as well, usually store Sams club 45 bottle per pack.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Does anybody have experience with
Pricy but it purifies the water and can be pressurized. They appear from the videos to be a real option if your getting water from streams.
I believe this is what iamjake uses. Sounds like a solid idea for purifying a large quantity of water with ease. I've used a few different methods over the years. Lifestraws, pumps, homemade filters with purify tabs, gravity fed filter bags...you name it. I carry a Sawyer filter setup usually. Works well for all situations minus generating a large volume.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I think the topic, while valid, is being over thought. Yes, storing drinking water long term in plastic can lead to leeching issues, BUT.... if a person flushes the container before each use and fills fresh before a trip, It's not going to be an issue in the day or days the water is sitting there.

To be honest, I'll take a little leeched water over dead from thirst.....

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

I would suggest looking at Scepter water cans for a BPA-free, jerry can design. Can be found on Amazon.

Affordability might be subjective though, for some of their products.
Those are exactly what I use. Highly rugged & durable, will last a long-long time, fod grade BPA free and well worth the cost. Luckily mine were $FREE, found them here & there left out/lost in training areas when I was a contractor for the military.

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
The main problem is that any of the limited options I've found will run $100 or more.
There are plenty of water can options for much less than $100.00. Maybe not as "cool" as a military water can but just as effective. If the Scepter cans are good enugh for the military it is good enough for me.

Used Scepter water cans can be found here in El Paso for $20.00. Try Walmart .

Ozark Trail Desert Patrol 6-Gal Water Jug - Walmart.com

Reliance Aqua-Tainer - 7 gal. | REI Co-op

Attachments

Reactions: John~SWNM

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

What does everyone use for a drinking water jerry can? I'm hoping to find something that isn't made from plastic at an affordable price. My concern is with the plastic that everything is made with. BPA-free, phthalate-free, etc. I just know that after some use and time in the sun, it all starts to break down and possibly leech into the drinking water, and that's something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.
Why not glass bottles ??

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Pottery worked well for some indians as well as buffalo intestines . Non lubricated condoms are issued in USAF and other military survival kits to carry water.

Those are cheap and sometimes you can get them at vending machines in restrooms.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I think the topic, while valid, is being over thought. Yes, storing drinking water long term in plastic can lead to leeching issues, BUT.... if a person flushes the container before each use and fills fresh before a trip, It's not going to be an issue in the day or days the water is sitting there.

To be honest, I'll take a little leeched water over dead from thirst.....
I agree. We're trying to reduce as much plastic usage as possible in our home, and this was one concern initially. It is overthought for sure. I doubt much will happen in the way of consuming plastic leeched water. I initially thought there would be an easier solution, but this thread proved there isn't too many options out there. I think I'll continue using what I have and upgrade to scepter mil spec and/or Roto-pax when I get my spare tire carrier

Reactions: John~SWNM