Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'll second what others say and ask what problems you've had with the AEV kit? Assuming suspension and steering geometry are ok, from your description it sounds like loss of carrying capacity could be an issue?

Regardless you want coils matched to the loads you carry. I'd reccomend estimating the added weight to your Jeep (bumpers, skids, racks, etc), as well as the added gear weight from trips. With that figure you can then check with aev to see how their coils coils compare with respect to load capacity.

If you have a large variance in loads I may suggest a dual-rate or progressive rate coil, for both comfort and performance. I'm not sure who's all making these for JK's but I know Dobinsons Suspension does. Could be worth a phone call at least.

Edit: just checked, that kit comes with progressive coils. I'd still be curious what loads the coils are rated at.
My Jeep fully loaded was way over GVWR. When I arrived at OTG 2017, I was at 7300 lbs. The AEV springs where compressed at this weight. This gave me little up travel, and I was feeling my bumps stops too often for my taste. The OME springs, gave me back the same lift loaded, that the AEV gave me unloaded. The ride quality was great, even with my Jeep being heavily overloaded.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Eibach usually makes the springs for most suspension kits, call John at Poly performance and tell him what you have and what you want and he’ll find the correct coils from eibach cheaper than if they have a name brand on them. Just an idea...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
somday I will purchase custom one off springs. It's expensive, but will be designed for my specific Jeep build out.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
sweet, the price is not bad at all.

I am probably not close to the weight 7200lbs you are carrying but it's good to know this is an option. I get the lean too :(.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Have you considered coilovers? May be cost prohibitive but they're infinitely adjustable. Just a thought.
I try to keep things close to stock. One of the reasons I replaced my Rock Krawler lift, is because I bent a lower control arm in Chile. It took weeks to get a replacement part. Most of this time, was getting the part through customs. I wouldn't even want to imagine how long it would take to get something as custom as coilover through customs.

Reactions: Sparky

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I try to keep things close to stock. One of the reasons I replaced my Rock Krawler lift, is because I bent a lower control arm in Chile. It took weeks to get a replacement part. Most of this time, was getting the part through customs. I wouldn't even want to imagine how long it would take to get something as custom as coilover through customs.
Oh Jeez, yea my old man has enough problems getting stuff down to Baja, I can only imagine. Lots of factors there.

Reactions: Jeff Graham