Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

that's awesome, looks like a good option for those worried about running a fridge off their vehicle when parked for a while.

ChefJeff1

Rank I

Contributor III

hailey
First Name
Keff
Last Name
Walsh
Ham/GMRS Callsign
kg7uuk
Good review! Which reminds me I have go out to the garage and see if any of my non-Jackery power cables from my other solar panel suitcase thingy will plug into my Jackery 500. Maybe I could run a similar test.
I ordered a double ended anderson power pole cable, cut one end off and wired it to my solar suitcase before the charge controller since the Jackery has a controller.

Reactions: RoarinRow

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know my experience so far with the Jackery Power Station 1000. I initially started a thread on the "Overland Vehicle Build" forum. I think now that I have used the Jackery, I can do a limited review.

I made it 88 hours on one charge running my ARB Zero 47 at 35 degrees. I stopped my test at 7% charge. I hooked up two Jackery 100w solar panels and within four hours, the charge was at 46% (with fridge running). I live in the foothills with many trees. It seemed that every time I looked at the solar panels they were in the shade and I had to adjust them, "PIA." With two panels, I was pulling around 140w in direct sun with smoke haze. One panel was exactly half. So far, I love this system. I ended up plugging the fridge into the Jackery, and switched my rear 12v plug to only power when the Jeep is running. Now the Jackery charges while I drive, yet runs the fridge 100% while Jeep is off. The only negative I see is: The fridge 12v plug wiggled out of the Jackery two times within two hours of driving. Luckily the ARB alerts you when it loses power. I need to figure out a way to keep the plug in while driving. Overall, I think this is a great alternative to a dual battery system. Thank goodness for the Jackery. Last night PG&G turned our power off again. My kids are doing Zoom distance learning because the schools are closed here. They didn't miss a beat because they were able to plug in their computers right into the Jackery. Here is the link to the "Overland Vehicle Build" forum: Jackery Power Station question.
This is a great review, my E1000 hasn’t left the house, and my two Saga 100s are still in the box.
Now I picked my bundled package after Jackerys anniversary special. Now they have the E1500 with an improvement on the operating temp.
Maybe next year, but I’ll skip on the 4 additional saga’s - two should be good enough.
Thanks for sharing

CarrieJ

Rank I

Contributor I

Laingsburg, MI, USA
First Name
Carolyn
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

Does anyone know if you have to have the Jackery solar panels? Or do other brands plug in? Is there an adaptor if not? Thanks

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Does anyone know if you have to have the Jackery solar panels? Or do other brands plug in? Is there an adaptor if not? Thanks
You can use any brand solar panel with the units that have an MPPT controller, but you will need to get or make a cable that will connect to the solar panels you purchase and the Jackery. I use Powerpole connecters on my Jackery 1000.

Reactions: CarrieJ

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

Just got an email that Jackery is having a 15% off site wide. I've been doing some more testing with the 1500 an will give an update soon. I can tell you that I LOVE it so far. Also, I will be participating in the Jeepers Jamboree this year and will be in charge of keeping the beer cold for our group. I will be using my ARB fridge and Jackery 1500.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
@OVERMTN
I'm new to overlanding - so new in fact I haven't even had a chance to overnight in my set-up yet. I won the grand prize on Monday for the sweepstakes game that Jackery had on their website, and a part of that prize is a Jackery 1500 Solar Generator! I'm pretty excited, to say the least. I have an Alpicool 48 quart portable fridge (and I apparently won a fridge with the sweepstakes game on the website!) that I believe is 45 watts. I'm interested in seeing how long I can go with the Jackery powering it. I also have a Ai-Power dual fuel generator that I can pack up for long trips, and I plan on bringing that along for powering an AC for my tent for really, really hot evenings. (Don't judge! I can't sleep in the heat! HAHAHAHA)

My truck has a 110v inverter outlet in the back seat, and on my last outing (a day trip to the Talladega national Forest) I ran the fridge plugged into that instead of 12v. My understanding of electricity and efficiency is a little on the weak side, so bear with me, please. When powering the fridge directly off my truck, is it better to use the 12v or 110v? for longer outings, I plan on through-powering the fridge through the Jackery. Should I plug the Jackery into the 12v or 110v? And then, when through-powering with the Jackery, do I plug the fridge into the 12v or 110v on the Jackery???? Be easy on me - I'm new! And thank you!

ETA: I'm also considering a mounted solar panel for on my truck, down the line. Any suggestions there?

Reactions: RoarinRow and Shahn

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
@OVERMTN
I'm new to overlanding - so new in fact I haven't even had a chance to overnight in my set-up yet. I won the grand prize on Monday for the sweepstakes game that Jackery had on their website, and a part of that prize is a Jackery 1500 Solar Generator! I'm pretty excited, to say the least. I have an Alpicool 48 quart portable fridge (and I apparently won a fridge with the sweepstakes game on the website!) that I believe is 45 watts. I'm interested in seeing how long I can go with the Jackery powering it. I also have a Ai-Power dual fuel generator that I can pack up for long trips, and I plan on bringing that along for powering an AC for my tent for really, really hot evenings. (Don't judge! I can't sleep in the heat! HAHAHAHA)

My truck has a 110v inverter outlet in the back seat, and on my last outing (a day trip to the Talladega national Forest) I ran the fridge plugged into that instead of 12v. My understanding of electricity and efficiency is a little on the weak side, so bear with me, please. When powering the fridge directly off my truck, is it better to use the 12v or 110v? for longer outings, I plan on through-powering the fridge through the Jackery. Should I plug the Jackery into the 12v or 110v? And then, when through-powering with the Jackery, do I plug the fridge into the 12v or 110v on the Jackery???? Be easy on me - I'm new! And thank you!

ETA: I'm also considering a mounted solar panel for on my truck, down the line. Any suggestions there?
Congrats!

In terms of efficiency, it's almost always more efficient to avoid any voltage changes in your power. Going from your 12v truck power -> 110v inverter -> 110v fridge input -> 12v/24v actual use, or 12v truck -> 110v inverter -> 110v Jackery charger -> 24v charger output -> Jackery input -> 110v Jackery outlet -> 110v fridge inlet -> 12v/24v actual use you can see there are numerous areas where you're going to lose efficiency which will have a large impact on your ability to maintain/retain power. The simplest path is generally the most efficient. I say generally because some recent tests from HOBOTECH seem to indicate the regulated 12v output on the new big Jackerys is less efficient than the inverter. However, the 110v -> 12/24v converter in the fridge isn't going to be as efficient as direct 12v input, so we're back to the simplest path.

That would be truck 12v -> fridge 12v or truck 12v -> Jackery 12v input -> fridge 12v. Removing multiple inverter/converter parts in the path will increase efficiency by quite a bit.

The Jackery 1500 has a 1488Wh battery, let's say it's 85% efficient so realistically you get 1,265Wh. Let's say your fridge consumes 45w and once down to temp it has a 50% duty cycle, so that's 22.5Wh. 1265 / 22.5 = 56 hours of runtime for the fridge before the Jackery is dead assuming no charge time from the truck or solar. 22.5Wh * 24 = 540Wh per day. Basically, to run indefinitely you need to replenish at least 540Wh per day either via solar or the truck. 4x 100W panels with 75% efficiency is 300W in full sun. If you get full sun for 4 hours that's 1200Wh, more than enough to replenish the energy consumed by the fridge and then some. Basically, with the Jackery 1500 and 4x 100W panels you should have no problem charging the Jackery from almost dead in just a few hours under ideal conditions.

I have a Jackery 1000, ICECO VL60 dual-zone, and a 120w solar panel. I can run both zones in the fridge, one set to 34F and the other to 0F, connected to the Jackery, which is connected to a 12v plug in my truck's bed, and the Jackery will remain fully charged. If I'm stopped and the solar panel will be able to at least maintain the current charge when in the shade or increase the state of charge if in direct sunlight so even with the smaller Jackery and less solar input I can still go multiple days without issue and without pulling from my truck's 12v system.

When it comes to electronics, just remember; Keep it simple. Anything that requires energy to function will consume energy and reduce overall efficiency of your system.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Congrats!

In terms of efficiency, it's almost always more efficient to avoid any voltage changes in your power. Going from your 12v truck power -> 110v inverter -> 110v fridge input -> 12v/24v actual use, or 12v truck -> 110v inverter -> 110v Jackery charger -> 24v charger output -> Jackery input -> 110v Jackery outlet -> 110v fridge inlet -> 12v/24v actual use you can see there are numerous areas where you're going to lose efficiency which will have a large impact on your ability to maintain/retain power. The simplest path is generally the most efficient. I say generally because some recent tests from HOBOTECH seem to indicate the regulated 12v output on the new big Jackerys is less efficient than the inverter. However, the 110v -> 12/24v converter in the fridge isn't going to be as efficient as direct 12v input, so we're back to the simplest path.

That would be truck 12v -> fridge 12v or truck 12v -> Jackery 12v input -> fridge 12v. Removing multiple inverter/converter parts in the path will increase efficiency by quite a bit.

The Jackery 1500 has a 1488Wh battery, let's say it's 85% efficient so realistically you get 1,265Wh. Let's say your fridge consumes 45w and once down to temp it has a 50% duty cycle, so that's 22.5Wh. 1265 / 22.5 = 56 hours of runtime for the fridge before the Jackery is dead assuming no charge time from the truck or solar. 22.5Wh * 24 = 540Wh per day. Basically, to run indefinitely you need to replenish at least 540Wh per day either via solar or the truck. 4x 100W panels with 75% efficiency is 300W in full sun. If you get full sun for 4 hours that's 1200Wh, more than enough to replenish the energy consumed by the fridge and then some. Basically, with the Jackery 1500 and 4x 100W panels you should have no problem charging the Jackery from almost dead in just a few hours under ideal conditions.

I have a Jackery 1000, ICECO VL60 dual-zone, and a 120w solar panel. I can run both zones in the fridge, one set to 34F and the other to 0F, connected to the Jackery, which is connected to a 12v plug in my truck's bed, and the Jackery will remain fully charged. If I'm stopped and the solar panel will be able to at least maintain the current charge when in the shade or increase the state of charge if in direct sunlight so even with the smaller Jackery and less solar input I can still go multiple days without issue and without pulling from my truck's 12v system.

When it comes to electronics, just remember; Keep it simple. Anything that requires energy to function will consume energy and reduce overall efficiency of your system.
Thank you! On the face of it that looks like a lot of info, but you've explained in a manner that I think I grasp it!

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
@OVERMTN
I won the grand prize on Monday for the sweepstakes game that Jackery had on their website, and a part of that prize is a Jackery 1500 Solar Generator! I'm pretty excited, to say the least. I have an Alpicool 48 quart portable fridge (and I apparently won a fridge with the sweepstakes game on the website!) that I believe is 45 watts.

Holy crap! That's like $2,000+ worth of prizes! Score!

Reactions: GLOCKer

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Doesn't your Yeti have a built-in charge controller? If so, you should be able to bypass the Renogy controller and plug the solar panels directly into the Yeti as long as you don't exceed the voltage. It should then give you a real-time display. I do this with my Yeti 1000 and my 100W Renogy panel. I keep the Renogy controller separate in my kit to use as a car battery charger.
I just saw this post. I'll look into whether my Yeti has a charge controller. Thanks for the tip.

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

One heck of a torture test for my Jeep and my Jackerys. (1000W and 1500W) I just completed the Jeep Jamboree on the Rubicon Trail. It was a three day trip through the Rubicon. This was no joke. First day was a seven hour grueling pounding in ninety degree heat in major dust. There were many stops on the trail for rigs that had trouble making it over obstacle and the occasional broken rig. Once we arrived at Rubicon Springs, we set up camp. I have two Jackey's, 1000W and 1500W. The 1500W ran my ARB fridge. Over the three days, it ran my ARB fridge, charged two handheld radios, four phones, a GoPro camera, a Garmin InReach device and a tent light/fan and had plenty of juice left over. and the 1000W ran my CPAP machine. The second day was a filled with drinking, eating and frolicking in the river at Rubicon Springs. The Third day was another grueling pounding out. The Jackery 1500W ran my fridge without a hiccup. The 1000W ran my CPAP perfectly using only 5%. I set up one 100W Jackery solar panel for the 1500W unit, but because of possible thunderstorms in the area, I put it away after a couple of hours. I didn't want to take chances with a solar panel that was not water proof (I don't have Jackery's new waterproof 200W panel). I was very happy with the durability of the Jackerys. Next time I will only use one Jackery, plenty of power. I could have run the fridge and CPAP with just the 1000W or 1500W Jackery, with just an extension cord to the tent to run the CPAP. I did not need two. I had a great time, I suggest if you want to have a great adventure challenge, check out the Rubicon Trail in Norther California.

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Amazon is rife with adapter cables to convert whatever plug in you have for your non Jackery solar panel to the coax connector they use.

I've been VERY happy with my Jackery 300. I've experimented with using a 100watt pannel I had laying around the garage that I picked up for an onboard power project YEARS ago. It's a bit heavy and bulky but works for charging the Jackery vs paying even more money for their Jackery branded panels.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Most Jackery's have 2 charging inputs, the round input and the Anderson Powerpole, You could either modify the solar panels you buy to use only Anderson Powerpole's or get an MC4 to Anderson Powerpole adapter.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've see the Jackery 1000 has an Anderson input, but the others use the round input. You can get an Anderson to 8mm adapter. 3ft Anderson to 8mm DC cable for charging Jackery/Goal Zero Yeti Power Stations NO US SALES TAX!
Not sure when the break over is buy mine also has a USB-C input that can charge on it's own or augment the coax input. I forget how much of a boost it gives but you can charge at a total rate of 90 watts when combined with the high output USB-C charger and the standard wall charger.