Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Can’t say I’ve had this issue with Gaia, but every time it wants to download updated maps, it takes forever. I’ve also had it lag out on tracking me when I’m offroad. That lag might just be the gps in the iPad though, I’m not sure, but it makes me want to add an Inreach Mini to be the actual gps antenna for the iPad.
Explain how this works please

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Using the Garmin as my gps for the iPad? You just pair it to the iPad with Bluetooth. Gaia will function normally utilize gps data from the Garmin instead of the internal gps unit

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Using the Garmin as my gps for the iPad? You just pair it to the iPad with Bluetooth. Gaia will function normally utilize gps data from the Garmin instead of the internal gps unit
Not sure that is actually going to help though. All "GPS like data" (GPS receiver data, cell phone tower triangulation, etc.) gets run through Apple's Location Services running on the device and that is where apps get their location data, apps don't actually talk directly to the GPS rather to Location Services. GPS receivers also have a very slow refresh rate (typically once per second) which is eons in computer time so I am not sure that the problem would lie with the GPS receiver, my guess is that it is elsewhere in the system. Of course all of this has been said without direct knowledge of your device(s) so your mileage may vary. I'd be interested to hear what the results are of your experiment.

Is your iPad cellular enabled? Only iPads that are cellular enabled have GPS receivers built in, the WiFi only iPads do not have GPS receivers. If you do indeed have the WiFi only model I would guess that it is pulling location data from somewhere else (tethered iPhone perhaps) and connecting a bluetooth GPS receiver would likely help out in that case.

Reactions: GunRunnersActual

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Not sure that is actually going to help though. All "GPS like data" (GPS receiver data, cell phone tower triangulation, etc.) gets run through Apple's Location Services running on the device and that is where apps get their location data, apps don't actually talk directly to the GPS rather to Location Services. GPS receivers also have a very slow refresh rate (typically once per second) which is eons in computer time so I am not sure that the problem would lie with the GPS receiver, my guess is that it is elsewhere in the system. Of course all of this has been said without direct knowledge of your device(s) so your mileage may vary. I'd be interested to hear what the results are of your experiment.
My thoughts were less with the api and processing power of the iPad (I have a 11” Pro with M1 chip) and more with the actual gps unit in the iPad. I can only assume it’s less sensitive/accurate/more prone to disruption as it probably doesn’t have as high end of a gps as say an InReach. My thought process here is that a mobile device can get away with that due to the majority of location use that is happening occurs in conjunction with cellular/WiFi, where an InReach is purely gps for its location data.

I’m all ears if someone has some different knowledge/expertise to share here, especially if it will save me money from having to buy an InReach.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My thoughts were less with the api and processing power of the iPad (I have a 11” Pro with M1 chip) and more with the actual gps unit in the iPad. I can only assume it’s less sensitive/accurate/more prone to disruption as it probably doesn’t have as high end of a gps as say an InReach. My thought process here is that a mobile device can get away with that due to the majority of location use that is happening occurs in conjunction with cellular/WiFi, where an InReach is purely gps for its location data.

I’m all ears if someone has some different knowledge/expertise to share here, especially if it will save me money from having to buy an InReach.
You probably missed my edit to my most recent post as it appears that we were typing at the same time.

Is your iPad cellular enabled? Only iPads that are cellular enabled have GPS receivers built in, the WiFi only iPads do not have GPS receivers. If you do indeed have the WiFi only model I would guess that it is pulling location data from somewhere else (tethered iPhone perhaps) and connecting a bluetooth GPS receiver would likely help out in that case.

GPS receivers are a dime a dozen these days and I'd be awfully surprised if any consumer level receiver is hands and feet above another. A lot of them are from the same single source anyway. You may want to look up what the actual receiver is in both devices to see what the capabilities are.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC

You probably missed my edit to my most recent post as it appears that we were typing at the same time.

GPS receivers are a dime a dozen these days and I'd be awfully surprised if any consumer level receiver is hands and feet above another. A lot of them are from the same single source anyway. You may want to look up what the actual receiver is in both devices to see what the capabilities are.
My iPad is Cellular/gps, not WiFi only.

I’ll do some digging on the gps chips, not sure how far I will get on that with how secretive Apple can be

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I'm curious, those of you with slow download/sync performance are you all on Apple devices? I ask because Gaia on my iPad Pro is being annoyingly slow to download/sync but my Android cell phone with Gaia, connected to the same wifi and only a few feet from my iPad, is fast. Perhaps there's a bug in the iOS version causing slow downloads?
My iphone 8 is super fast, but my Android tablet takes forever...

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hey all - yes! We are cramming on OB1 (Overland Bound One) to address key needs and concerns of our community - that's the goal! It is coming along quickly. We constantly improve the features, and add additional functionality. Coming in the next few weeks is Route Planning. We are putting it through the paces now in preparation for release.

@Ubiety I hear you! We will get there relatively soon. From the Overland Bound community what we here is that we want Route Planning in the app asap - and we will follow with web route planning.
Hopefully with no standing on one foot, praying to Zeus!

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hey all - yes! We are cramming on OB1 (Overland Bound One) to address key needs and concerns of our community - that's the goal! It is coming along quickly. We constantly improve the features, and add additional functionality. Coming in the next few weeks is Route Planning. We are putting it through the paces now in preparation for release.

@Ubiety I hear you! We will get there relatively soon. From the Overland Bound community what we here is that we want Route Planning in the app asap - and we will follow with web route planning.
I can’t wait…If you are familiar with GAIA GPS and Gravelmap.com it would be nice to be able to see what roads are dirt, gravel, trail, rock garden etc…I know these are all crowed sourced and rely on data from the person who inputs them…up loads of gpx files work well from platform to platform but the details of description are lost…with gas prices high right now we have drastically cut back on our travel but I still love pouring over maps and making routes…I’d love to sit down and have a beer sometime and talk end user experience on multiple platforms with you if you need the input…

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Gravelmap.com
up loads of gpx files work well from platform to platform but the details of description are lost…
Had not heard of gravelmaps.com, looks pretty cool, thanks!
The problem with losing details with GPX files is that they are not super descriptive. So you spend a bunch of time in Gaia adding colors and other descriptive bits and then export that as a GPX - but, unfortunately, the GPX does not have any accommodation for all of the extra descriptive bits so they are lost and therefore cannot be imported into another mapping solution, OB1 for instance. Its kind of like using a sieve to transfer the contents of one fish tank to another; you will get the fish and the gravel but you won't get the water because the sieve is not "descriptive" enough to contain the water. Bad analogy; I know. ;)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Inte
This thread is by a Gaia employee or something; maybe post there?

Maybe as a backup give onX or OB1 a try.
onX gives a free week or so trial to their premium service. Export your trip data from gaia then upload to onX. onX is playing catch up in some areas but I like their customer service and willingness to improve things better. Their approach to UI is miles ahead of gaia IMO. Disclaimer - OB1 is turning into an awesome app and I will likely switch over to it once they allow trip planning via the web.

Hope things work out! There is a reason I don't use gaia any longer and I am a complete cartography geek.
Interesting; I gave Gaia a try a couple years ago and quite frankly hated it. It’s not easy to operate, you cannot see where you are going or where you are in relationship to the rest of the region, and I found it impossible to make an organic connection with it. I’m just old fashioned and a bit on the weird side, thankfully.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’m just old fashioned and a bit on the weird side, thankfully.
That makes two of us ;)

Fought the "Gaia web site's pile o' bugs"(TM) this morning transferring data out... Super glad to see all of the action/improvements on OB1 as Gaia has never been more than sufficient. OB1 and the folks at the "OB1 Labs" are rockin it!

• Love
Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
We are working heavily on data backup, security, and exchange for OB1. We feel the data collected is akin to paper maps where you used to highlight and write in them - which were then passed down to the next generation. It is a legacy of adventure. Many of our friends have lost years of digital data and memories because the data they saved on Gaia was just gone. We are already much more stable in that regard with multiple digital copies of your data once uploaded - but we will be going further with offsite storage geolocated at a different facility as well. The reason most mapping companies don't do this is cost - it is expensive. OLB is our community, our family, and we just feel its critical that we safeguard their data. In addition - being able to get the data in and out of OB1 is paramount - it's your data, and we want to support transfer in and out in whatever way you would like.

Gaia import - We have already done a proof of concept that would allow you to export not only the GPX track, but also the waypoints in Gaia (campsites, etc.) and photos. The pipeline exists, and we will likely have a website, or some other detailed instructions for how to do this. That allows folks to have the data in both places and see what platform they they prefer.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Inte

Interesting; I gave Gaia a try a couple years ago and quite frankly hated it. It’s not easy to operate, you cannot see where you are going or where you are in relationship to the rest of the region, and I found it impossible to make an organic connection with it. I’m just old fashioned and a bit on the weird side, thankfully.
I felt the same way, and we have tried to make OB1 as user friendly as possible however, I've found that the "deeper" features are not as evident as I would like. For example, if you don't know to long-press the OB1 map, you are missing aa whole host of features that make the app really handy. We will keep working on it - we are ramping up staff to improve the OB1 platform, not ramping down!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
That makes two of us ;)

Fought the "Gaia web site's pile o' bugs"(TM) this morning transferring data out... Super glad to see all of the action/improvements on OB1 as Gaia has never been more than sufficient. OB1 and the folks at the "OB1 Labs" are rockin it!
Thank you! We are being very aggressive about listening and the REAL needs of of the community - plus I use it every weekend ;) Feedback - bring it!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Many of our friends have lost years of digital data and memories because the data they saved on Gaia was just gone.
Wait just a goll darn minute! Were you looking over my shoulder this morning as I fought the "Gaia web site's pile o' bugs"(TM)? Now I am kind of freaked out! Hahahaha. Data loss was just a part of the issues that I faced. Luckily for me the lost data that I noticed was in an area that I know well so it was not a huge loss. It just might have been in the general area of the Buck Rock route that I added to OB1 this morning ;)

Edit - I would LOVE to see rock solid feature packed GPS data management in OB1, etc. A kind of repository for storing and managing large sets of data.

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Wait just a goll darn minute! Were you looking over my shoulder this morning as I fought the "Gaia web site's pile o' bugs"(TM)? Now I am kind of freaked out! Hahahaha. Data loss was just a part of the issues that I faced. Luckily for me the lost data that I noticed was in an area that I know well so it was not a huge loss. It just might have been in the general area of the Buck Rock route that I added to OB1 this morning ;)

Edit - I would LOVE to see rock solid feature packed GPS data management in OB1, etc. A kind of repository for storing and managing large sets of data.
Exactly - this is the way.

Unfortunately data loss is not an isolated incident among navigation/offroad apps - its something that needs to be taken very seriously to get it right.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Many of our friends have lost years of digital data and memories because the data they saved on Gaia was just gone.

It’s not an elegant solution, but you can export all of your gpx files from Gaia and put them in a cloud storage/thumb drive as a back up. If Gaia shits the bed on you, just upload your gpx files back to it. If you store them locally on your phone or tablet or laptop, you could handle this even off grid

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It’s not an elegant solution, but you can export all of your gpx files from Gaia and put them in a cloud storage/thumb drive as a back up. If Gaia shits the bed on you, just upload your gpx files back to it. If you store them locally on your phone or tablet or laptop, you could handle this even off grid
Its complex and I am tired ;) Yeah, I have started downloading data from Gaia and not trusting them to safeguard it. It is just disappointing to me that a paid for service which makes my data available to me via their cloud loses my data. It could get lost after or before I have the chance to archive it. I just want a better solution.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Yup. Good best practice.