Rank I

Contributor II

North Port, FL
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

If you could start over what would you buy for your vehicle? I have an FJ and my wife is now looking for her own. We’ve looked at FJ’s, Jeeps and 4runners.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Since you already have an FJ then make her vehicle the soft roader that gets great gas mileage and can still handle a gravel road and mild obsticles.
My wife has a VW Tiguan and we love it for the mild trips to farther places.....those that mean an easy campsite or small town bed and breakfast.
My 4wd van is for the "overlanding", exploring and weeklong Baja beach runs, but she gets twice the mpg which cuts a chunk off the budget if we don't need the capability of my van.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I don’t disagree at all with the above statement. Makes great sense to me.

we went with a 4Runner, and love it. However, if I were doing it again I would pony up and buy the Lexus GX over the 4Runner for the extra power. It’s worth it after you start adding weight. Or maybe a good used land cruiser. But, I am a Toyota fan. So take my thoughts with that in mind. At the end of the day, we all have our own preferences in what we like, it just has to work for what you need/want.

Reactions: EXPO_D1 and Graeman

SandSpider

Rank 0

Contributor I

Louisiana, USA
First Name
Holger
Last Name
Notzel
I have an FJ Cruiser that I just started building into an overlanding rig. I've owned the FJ for many years and I absolutely love it. But building it, it's pretty shocking how much cheaper and more plentiful Jeep stuff is. And used stuff for those is everywhere. I could literally do a Jeep for 1/3 of the cost of an FJ.
Just picked up a bumper and winch today and saw a floor model Smittybilt Jeep bumper sitting there brand new for under $400. Closeout wheels and tires for half the price right next to it. And that's before you look at craigslist and forums. Jeep stuff is cheap.

Reactions: Graeman

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If I was starting over for my wife, I would get her the rig she wanted and have her build it out her way.... ohh wait I did that... she chose a 4th Gen 4Runner. And is modding it out to suit her... we are leaving the Bronco as the hard trail truck, and hers see the roads she is comfortable driving... as her experience increases, so will her requirements for her car.

Odinsink

Rank I

Contributor II

North Port, FL
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

Since you already have an FJ then make her vehicle the soft roader that gets great gas mileage and can still handle a gravel road and mild obsticles.
My wife has a VW Tiguan and we love it for the mild trips to farther places.....those that mean an easy campsite or small town bed and breakfast.
My 4wd van is for the "overlanding", exploring and weeklong Baja beach runs, but she gets twice the mpg which cuts a chunk off the budget if we don't need the capability of my van.

She will be doing that TAT with me and The Appalachian Byway. Knowing that would you still suggest that?

Odinsink

Rank I

Contributor II

North Port, FL
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

I have an FJ Cruiser that I just started building into an overlanding rig. I've owned the FJ for many years and I absolutely love it. But building it, it's pretty shocking how much cheaper and more plentiful Jeep stuff is. And used stuff for those is everywhere. I could literally do a Jeep for 1/3 of the cost of an FJ.
Just picked up a bumper and winch today and saw a floor model Smittybilt Jeep bumper sitting there brand new for under $400. Closeout wheels and tires for half the price right next to it. And that's before you look at craigslist and forums. Jeep stuff is cheap.

PREACH! I was not prepared for the costs of a lot of this stuff. I love the FJ though. I have wanted one for a long time and when a 1 owner 55k mile 2012 trail teams came up for sale, I drove two hours to pick it up. I have been looking at a lot of jeeps lately. And 4runners. I just dont know what we want to do. Contemplated another FJ lol

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If I was to start over, I would have bought a Cruiser sooner and not built all those Jeeps. Of course I would started with a 60 series. I had fun rock crawling but I never enjoyed it as much as I did exploring. After owning, building and helping build practically every type of 4wd, I came full circle. Back to Toyota.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you could start over what would you buy for your vehicle? I have an FJ and my wife is now looking for her own. We’ve looked at FJ’s, Jeeps and 4runners.
older, zero technology, clutch, mechanical 4WD linkage, carburetor, cast iron, leaf springs, guaranteed, those are the key criteria for my next overlander
but my wife would pick......

OIP.zxozD4bxJ2UnB6YmikdGCwHaDt.jpeg

Last edited:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I love my JK for all the reasons that you stated - much cheaper to build than my 3rd gen 4Runner. I would make it my off roader and buy a Land Cruiser with a v8 for my overloading vehicle, though. Comfort and reliable till the end of time.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Colorado zr2 , built to handle backroad driving and no need to spend a bunch of time “building up a rig “ just throw in the tent and cooler and go

Reactions: MazeVX

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If I could get every $0.01 back out of my WJ and start over, I'd maaaaaaybe get a Diesel JLUR, or perhaps a JT, aka Gladiator (especially once the diesel is available). That's not an apples-to-apples thing, because just the stock vehicle would cost 2x my total investment in the WJ. The WJ has a new engine (including every sensor and peripherals like coils, starter, etc.), new cooling system (upgraded larger all alluminum radiator and aftermarket e-fans w/ shroud), 242HD t-case swap (freshly rebuild, new chain, 6-pinion planetary upgrade, SYE), JK Rubi Recon Edition D44s (thicker front axle tubes and bigger Cs on the Recon) with e-Lockers (4.88s, plus lots of gussets and trusses) and a ton of other maintenance/upgrades that makes it as good, or perhaps better than new (as is the case with the cooling system).

The JL/JT would be brand new, so everything is fresh. However, the WJ has things a JL/JT wouldn't have without spending a ton more on mods, such as coil-overs (front), 3-tube bypasses (all 4), hydraulic bump stops (all 4), front/rear long-arm with full belly skid, winch, customer beefy steel bumper/tire carrier, etc. Also, even with how much mine has grown the WJ is actually a more compact and nimble size compared to the JL, and waaaaaaaaaay more nimble as compared to the JT. The smaller size is a double-edge sword, the JL has more room inside for sleeping and/or gear, and the JT obviously gives you a real bed and tons of optionality for outfitting a rack-system and a RTT that doesn't actually have to be roof-height etc. Anyway, if I could start all over, I might just do exactly the same thing again with a WJ. Otherwise I'd be spending probably 2.5-3x the total investment to build a JL/JT to the same "level"... but it'd be new and diesel and have more space and be on 37-40"s instead of 35" so there would be advantages.

Now, if I were in your shoes I'd give the wife the FJ as a good Overlander with good street manners, then I'd build something like a 2-door Cherokee Chief for me. But I'm a weirdo. Trying to be more realistic, and knowing it's probably not a great suggestion to give your wife your "hand-me-down" FJ while you get yourself a new project, I'd probably be looking at something like a LR4 or a GX470. Outside of MPG, they're ideal DD and part-time Overlanders (if more technical crawling isn't part of your Overland plans). You can get relatively low-mileage, LOADED V8 ('09-13) LR4s in the mid-high teens, here's a perfect example: That's the top-trim-level "Lux" with ~107k miles in the right color for an Overlander and everything.

I know, I know everybody is going to say "ZOMG NO NOT A 100K+ MILE RANGE ROVER PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!111one!!!". And they wouldn't be entirely wrong that they're not THE most reliable thing in the world. But most of the horrible issues were in the Disco II/P38 era (that still used the old Buick-derived aluminum V8 and British electronics). The later stuff once BMW, then Ford, then Tatra (who made the Jaguar Land Rover group to keep running those two brands) owned them are actually pretty solid. Like any 10 year old vehicle with over 100k miles, I'm sure you'll have an issue here or there. But they're actually not that expensive to repair or get parts for, if you stay away from RR dealers. I had a 2006 Range Rover Land Rover Sport Supercharged that was honestly flawless. By contrast, I had a 2006 Lexus IS250 (aka, a Toyota) that had to be bought-back under Lemon Law. Obviously those are just anecdotal stories and don't "prove" anything, but get on the forums and you'll see the BMW-and-on era RRs are really not bad. Just think, your wife can have a high-end luxury SUV that was probably $60k new for somewhere in the teens is pretty neat. And for Overland-type duty (not crawling or "hardcore" wheeling) they are very, very capable.

-TJ

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I am starting over. My Jeep is long gone.

Hiking is hiking. Motorcycling is motorcycling. I'm done trying to make a jeep do those things. Went fullsize this time for dirt roads, state parks, and hwy slab. Still tent camping, but plan on either a slide in camper for overlanding, if overlanding is still fun in a few more years, or ditch and get a 23' TT.

If a fullsize fits where I'm overlanding, then it's the far superior choice. Heck, I can still tow a Jeep if I want to. The last two years I had my Jeep, it went nowhere that a fullsize didn't fit.

Sadly the fullsize + camper will cost more than an outfitted LMTV. But it's a bit more practical.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I love my silverado so I'd probably stay with a pickup style but I'd protect up going with either a Pro Tacoma or the ZR2 Colorado.....or if not, a Lexus GX (not a pickup but very stylish)

thomas255

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

I would like an espresso machine. Come to think of it, if I get a Bluetti, I might just get an espresso machine.

Reactions: WilhelmB