Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

so last night my battery died on my jeep.
So I got an AGM battery this morning and was thinking how bad it could of been had I been out exploring on my own.

I was thinking of mounting a solar panel on my hardtop, and run the wire somehow to my battery, with some kind of controller in between. I dont know much about any of this.

Would the solar panel be always charging the battery? Even when driving?
Later i do plan to add a small fridge in the back seat, and 2 light pods (40 watts each).

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Also, its not a big deal if the engine has to be off to be able to charge the battery via solar. I could have it connected at night so it'll charge in the morning sun.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

This rig has a regulator, charges the battery, has an inverter wired to the marine battery, and a 110 oxygen pump to supply oxygen to the pond.

Without the regulator it would fry the battery.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

You can get a dedicated solar controller or Redarc also makes a dc/dc charger with a solar controller built in. This will allow you to install a second battery as well. Not a bad idea with a fridge. Or at least get a jumper box. The Redarc will also allow you to run two different types of batteries. You could keep the AGM as your main battery and install another AGM or even a lithium. Just keep in mind that the angle of the panel in relation to the sun will affect its ability to charge. Having one mounted on the roof is definitely the most convenient but having the ability to move it around will give you the most versatility.

Reactions: Outdoordog

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
What you are asking for is not difficult at all. Get the solar panel you want, get a solar charge controller and connect that between the battery and solar panel. A good solar charge controller will not charge the battery when the truck is running and it detects the voltage from the alternator charging the battery. If you want to learn more about solar and possibly add a second battery check out the website below and check out some of his videos, he has all kinds of information for someone who hasn't had much experience with mobile solar setups!

Mobile Solar Power: Made Easy! DIY Off-grid Solar Power!

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Also consider carrying a portable Jump Starter.

Example

I was thinking the same. I have solar panel and controller for my fish finder. I could use it to charge the batterie in a pinch. The jump stater is a lot less money and trouble.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I went with an ARK Pak 715 and a Vmaxtank 120ah deep cycle battery. I just got a solar system from Renogy, 100 watt eclipse panel with 20amp waterproof solar charger. Mainly to run ARB 50qt and tablet, phone, and some anker battery packs. Theoretically this should be unlimited sustainment with a min of 4 hrs direct sunlight. I say theoretically because that's what ARK Pak says, haven't tested yet but will after Labor Day weekend. But have tested the Ark Pak (vmaxtank 120ah) 5 days at a 14 deg F setting in 90 deg F ambient temp, and drained it down to 30%. Was looking at the Genesis dual battery set up, but I like the portability of this set up, because I can also use it on the RV. I'm new to solar, but If I can shed my suitcase generator and power my camp quiet and clean while meeting power requirements...Hell yeah, I might not come back...ever.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you've got the $$ you can get a solar panel specifically made for the hood of your Jeep.

Solar panels are easy to hook up, with a good solar controller it will detect if you hook it to the panel the wrong way and protect the circuit and as noted will detect that the voltage to the battery (from the alternator) is sufficient and it will no longer try to charge the battery.

Reactions: USStrongman

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

If you've got the $$ you can get a solar panel specifically made for the hood of your Jeep.

Solar panels are easy to hook up, with a good solar controller it will detect if you hook it to the panel the wrong way and protect the circuit and as noted will detect that the voltage to the battery (from the alternator) is sufficient and it will no longer try to charge the battery.
I've seen that one. Its a bit out of my price range.

I want to spend less than $250, and also have it mounted on my roofrack somehow, maybe under it.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Chris Shontz talks about his setup for the first 4 minutes of this video.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Pretty easy one. Use cable ties or similar if you buy a semi flexible panel or use a mounting kit if using a rigid panel. Wire the solar charge controller to your battery and a set of wires with plugs matching the ones on the panel to the controller. Keep them short. Then you just use extensions between the panel and the controller to charge while parked. It’s more involved running wiring and such if you want the panel hooked up full time but with a bit of reading and some YouTube it’s doable. The DIY solar link up in another post will be your friend. Will Prowse’s YT channel has lots of good beginner stuff.

Last edited:

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Redarc manager 30. Dual battery isolator with monitor and solar capabilities in one. And you can plug in to shore power like an rv to charge if needed. I have it and it is rad.
Do you mind showing a picture how its setup?