Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If we're talking cocktails, depending on the trip we premix either a full size growler or howler with G+T, couple of limes and ice. They're both vacuum insulated and will stay cold longer than it will take us to polish them off. ;)

From there we pick up local brews as we travel (either in packs or filling said growler on the way through). It saves space, weight and is easy to remember.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
If we're talking cocktails, depending on the trip we premix either a full size growler or howler with G+T, couple of limes and ice. They're both vacuum insulated and will stay cold longer than it will take us to polish them off. ;)

From there we pick up local brews as we travel (either in packs or filling said growler on the way through). It saves space, weight and is easy to remember.
We also premix our drinks (usually long island tea or limoncello lemonaide) into large plastic juice bottles, then we just pour and add mixer disposing of the bottle when empty. Stashing a ziplock back of ice in the bottom of the fridge against the cooling plate keeps them frozen (we do not have a dual zone fridge unfortuantly). We keep a couple of Yeti insulated tumblers for all drinking purposes as they have sippy cup lids to keep the bugs out, or exessive spillage if one gets tipped over.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
We also premix our drinks (usually long island tea or limoncello lemonaide) into large plastic juice bottles, then we just pour and add mixer disposing of the bottle when empty. Stashing a ziplock back of ice in the bottom of the fridge against the cooling plate keeps them frozen (we do not have a dual zone fridge unfortuantly). We keep a couple of Yeti insulated tumblers for all drinking purposes as they have sippy cup lids to keep the bugs out, or exessive spillage if one gets tipped over.
You know, I had not thought of that... great idea!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

Just noticed we are almost neighbors, less than an hour apart..lol

SimplyLesa

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Witch Well, Arizona
First Name
Lesa
Last Name
NeSmith
Member #

so - my "new cents" -- well, I'm not new really. I happen to be one of the odd people in the world who is allergic to propane. (please no debate - the doctor who tested me said I dont care how it works you are allergic - stay away from this stuff unless in a very open air situation and be up wind of it)
I have learned to use other stuff -- of course I love cooking on an open fire and do often. I, also, wanted/needed a solution that would fit my tiny budget and work during a fire ban -- enter my Toaks titanium alcohol syphon burner with a pot stand, the pot stand I'm currently using works with all kinds of fuel: Sterno (gellied fuel) or Canned Heat (wick style) cans, it also can be a charcoal stove or mini wood stove (I had folding Firebox stoves but didn't like the fussyness and height - great stoves tho). I use the Toaks for making quick coffee boiling water in a titanium pot. Then while I'm drinking my coffee I often put a can of sterno in the pot stand and put my shallot, yam (purple if I can get them) and greens on to boil for a meal later in the day. After bringing it to a boil, I wrap it in a clean wash cloth and place inside a ziplock gallon bag and secure in my rig - it essentially turns the pot into a thermal cooker and continues to cook througout the day - until I am hungry enough - I can add coconut milk powder and spices or a can of salmon or whatever!
so my rig kitchen is 'tiny' and capable. I do carry aluminum foil and parchment paper for foil pack meals. I have a mini cast iron griddle which I can get hot enough using Sterno to sizzle and fry eggs on - it also makes great flax seed 'naan' or tortillas.

Reactions: Advtres and Ubiety

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

so - my "new cents" -- well, I'm not new really. I happen to be one of the odd people in the world who is allergic to propane. (please no debate - the doctor who tested me said I dont care how it works you are allergic - stay away from this stuff unless in a very open air situation and be up wind of it)
I have learned to use other stuff -- of course I love cooking on an open fire and do often. I, also, wanted/needed a solution that would fit my tiny budget and work during a fire ban -- enter my Toaks titanium alcohol syphon burner with a pot stand, the pot stand I'm currently using works with all kinds of fuel: Sterno (gellied fuel) or Canned Heat (wick style) cans, it also can be a charcoal stove or mini wood stove (I had folding Firebox stoves but didn't like the fussyness and height - great stoves tho). I use the Toaks for making quick coffee boiling water in a titanium pot. Then while I'm drinking my coffee I often put a can of sterno in the pot stand and put my shallot, yam (purple if I can get them) and greens on to boil for a meal later in the day. After bringing it to a boil, I wrap it in a clean wash cloth and place inside a ziplock gallon bag and secure in my rig - it essentially turns the pot into a thermal cooker and continues to cook througout the day - until I am hungry enough - I can add coconut milk powder and spices or a can of salmon or whatever!
so my rig kitchen is 'tiny' and capable. I do carry aluminum foil and parchment paper for foil pack meals. I have a mini cast iron griddle which I can get hot enough using Sterno to sizzle and fry eggs on - it also makes great flax seed 'naan' or tortillas.
Just curious, did you consider butane, or does that also trigger your allergy?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Butane canisters are most often mixed with propane. So I have tried them and it didn't work well for me
Yeah, they usually are a blend.

What about those old school Coleman stoves that run on white gas? Those are pretty decent actually. We used them in the army.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Excellent replies thus far.

We now have a RTT camping trailer with a dedicated kitchen box. I bring enough to make my cooking efficient and comfortable. If you have the space why not bring what you want/need.

Reactions: Ubiety