Rank III

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Shapera
Member #

I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the places we overland/offroad to, especially in regards to the people and events that came before. Everything from the geologic process to wildlife to human civilization. Here in Arizona we have a good amount of public land that seems to have all of the above in good supply.

I take the kids into the backcountry with me and I can see their curiosity and wonder in action. Rock hounding, hearing coyotes at night, finding historic markers, etc. I don’t always have the answers and if I do they’re not always that great. Often I have questions of my own too.

I thought it might be interesting to tap into the community and see what resources and practices folks have found for learning about the places we go before, during, or after our adventures.

Below are a few questions/topics to guide the discussion. I formatted it a bit like a survey but feel free to answer as you see fit. (And no judgment on any answers by the way. Not looking for Overlander/Offroader of the Year here, just interested in the knowledge sharing.)

GhostCat

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Shapera
Member #

Imagine you’ve got a trip coming up. Not counting the practicalities of permits, supplies, weather, directions, etc….
  1. What might you be interested in learning about the place you’re going?
    1. nature stuff (mountains, rivers, rock/minerals, constellations, etc.)
    2. wildlife stuff (flora and fauna of the area)
    3. historical stuff (ghost towns, mining camps, battle sites, old structures, etc.)
    4. other
  2. Where might you go to research that information?
    1. Don’t really have time or interest in going out of my way to find out
    2. I just Google it
    3. I search on Youtube
    4. ask on social media / forums
    5. go to the library or buy guidebooks, history books
    6. ask a guide or someone with that expertise
    7. other
  3. Any specific websites/Youtube channels/authors you, personally, have found particularly useful? (local or specialized examples welcome too!)

At some point of your trip you come across something nature-wildlife-historical of interest…
  1. What do you typically do?
    1. Nothing, I’m in the woods. I just keep going about my business.
    2. “Huh, that’s neat. Maybe I’ll tell my wife/kids/buddy about that later.”
    3. take a picture or make a note to Google or Youtube it later
    4. add marker to maps app (Gaia, OnX, Overland Bound One, etc.)
    5. other

You’re back home, trip complete.
  1. How likely are follow-ups from the completed trip? Looking up people, places etc for next time? (Google, Youtube, forums, maps, library/books/guides)
    1. Never
    2. Sometimes
    3. Once in a while
    4. More times than not
    5. Always

Bonus Question:
  1. Any examples of trips you’ve planned where your itinerary included a specific nature/wildlife/historical thing you were already interested in? For example: a specific waterfall, gravesite, abandoned buildings, type of bird, etc.

Xplorer48

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, WA
Member #

These are some great questions. We usually look for historical POI on Benchmark Atlases then do online research. Sometimes, we stumble upon an historical marker so I note it on my Benchmark Map on Avenza app then look it up when we get a signal. Usually, the marker has quite a bit of info. We research Rockhounding locations by watching You-Tube and following blogs and SM. Ditto, ghost towns. For flora and fauna, if we can we take photos and try Google Image Search or use several bird ID apps like Merlin or Peterson’s,

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I might have some nature guide books with me and I'll see if I can find out about what I'm looking at while I'm looking at it.
When I plan a route, if something shows on a map, I might look it up through google.
If I find something interesting out in the wilds, I'll drop a pin on Gaia with a note and maybe take a photo and look it up when I get home.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

1. All of the above, I’m exploring to experience nature and history. Some ideas come from reading about a place, others from speaking with people. A chance conversation lit the spark for a two week trip to Peru, including the Inca Trail trek. Did you know that there’s a Rambo First Blood Festival each fall in Hope, British Columbia? I learned that last year while chatting with some other travelers outside a campground restroom.
2&3. The internet, specifically websites, YouTube, and “official” websites. I love physical maps - all of the possibilities laid out before me in their topographical glory.
4. If I come across something interesting? I observe, photograph, maybe make notes or record the location coordinates. I’m easily distracted by animals, insects, plants and have scrambled up snow covered ridges simply to see what’s on the other side.
5. As I travel, I keep a daily journal of what I did/saw, who I met, and personal observations. It’s fun to read them a few years later. It’s amazing how much you can forget, particularly after your 30th or so trip…
6. Follow up? You betcha! I’m usually mulling over ideas for the next trip on the drive home.
Bonus Question: Um, that’s every trip?
Here’s a good example of the birth of a trip idea that happened just this afternoon: I was lazily scrolling a thread on Reddit and learned that the tall ship Bark EUROPA offers a 52-day sailing expedition from Ushuaia on the southern tip of South America to Cape Town, South Africa. In reading their website, I discovered that this isn’t a modern, comfy cruise ship, but a 100 year old sailing vessel. Wow, what a cool adventure!

Reactions: Speric