Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I enjoy wheeling/adventuring with others, and many times that means I have to be the one to set something up. Here in NJ a lot of folks in Facebook groups or on forums are so eager to get out and meet people and DO trips together, but no one steps up to PLAN those trips. So I've taken it upon myself to run a lot of things on my own. Some of you have seen these photos already, but I have led trail runs, hosted meet ups, taught classes, etc.

To the points from OP, I've never really run into any whining. We did a section of the TNJT here and unfortunately between the section we agreed to complete, and stopping for breakfast and lunch, by the time we called it a day we had really only seen some small puddles so there was a hint of boredom with the trail itself. And wishing we ran into some harder obstacles. Nothing I can really do about that, we simply offered to meet up again in the future and run another section. Not my first complaint about boring trails in NJ unfortunately, the trails here are very well maintained and holes/ruts get filled in pretty regularly.

I am no dictator, I am extremely thorough for those who haven't seen my planned events. I plan for EVERYTHING, hell, I coordinated a helicopter landing zone for the local hospital along our trail ride in Virginia, just incase we needed one. I include alternate routes, addresses/coordinates for meetup, fuel, public water access/showers, whatever is pertinent to the trip. But I also allow extra time for others who want to step up, sightsee something off the original plan, etc. I don't put down anyone who wants to add a suggestion.

Gear wise I am probably a little lax, and that might bite me in the butt one day. I don't make suggestions for seasoned adventurers or newbies unless they ask, which a lot of times, the newbie WILL ask. I carry extra radios, extra batteries, a generic selection of tools, a medical bag, recovery and rescue equipment, and enough air to fill the entire group's tires.

For the last of OP's points, and to wrap it all up, I make my expectations known at the Driver's Meeting. How fast/far we will travel, when or how lunch is happening, I address anyone's concerns or suggestions. I also make sure everyone is feeling good/confident in the ride, and I maintain that communication throughout the day. When we stop for pauses, stuck rigs, food, photo ops, I reaffirm everyone's mood. Being a great leader makes the trip great, even when there are hiccups. Take the time and have a safe ride.

290711749_140419035271982_4103605034176150480_n.jpg
20220702_093214.jpg
398299283_326789523301598_3060890129502017625_n.jpg
0702221201_HDR.jpg
media.jpg
XmtATjVp.jpeg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

We have simple rules for group rides.
Keep the group small.
Slowest rigs in the middle so they don't get lost.
We like to keep a slowish pace, minimize dust and enjoy the scenery.
Only group leader uses foward facing offroad lights, so everyone isn't blinded by all the lights.