Rank V

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shae
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ignik has a 5# tank with a growler which is safe to carry in the vehicle.
I’m curious what makes this tank any different from a standard propane tank. I don’t see where they advertise that it is designed to transport indoors, at least any more so than a standard propane tank.
Seemed weird to me to, but it does say safe to carry inside vehicle, which any propane is so long as it is upright and not too hot. Not that I’m anymore comfortable with that…

shaepa

Rank V

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shae
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

What is a growler?
From the looks of it, a fancy carrying case that won’t let it fall over. Milk crates have always worked for me, but that’s just for a refill versus overlanding…

Yeah, I thought a growler was a bottle one brought from home to fill with draft beer at the bar/brewery.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Thinking of using the same approach. What type of "fiddling" was required? Also, is the the KIDDIE tank holder, or the Amerex? Thanks!
Its the Kidde bracket. I had to adjust the retention strap mounting position using existing holes in the bracket.

Walkers

Rank III

Advocate I

Cave Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Quadineros
Ignik has a 5# tank with a growler which is safe to carry in the vehicle. We were going to go with a bigger tank, but this is a better option for our rig since we don’t have a good place to mount it either.
However, we were thinking of trying to fab something that could go in the hitch receiver and sit nicely on the rear bumper…
Sorry, it is not safe to carry inside the vehicle.
Directly from the manufacturer, “Propane containers should only be stored in vehicles with a vented storage locker; do not store the Gas Growler or other propane container in your trunk or sealed car.”

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I recently picked up an 11 pound Flame King bottle from the big green hardware store (Menards) and ordered the Kiddie 20lb fire extinguisher mount @TahoePPV recommend way back on page 1 of this thread from the big orange hardware store (Home Depot).

Screenshot_20220929-202029.png

Unfortunately, I learned the 11lb tanks are bit porkier than the 5 and 10lb tanks. The tank would not fit the mount since it was too big around. I studied the mount and started to modify it to make the tank fit snugly.
PXL_20220929_215825365.jpg

I cut away the mount so the tank could rest against the rubber supports on the back. Then I relocated the bottom rubber supports up 2.5" by drilling new holes. This makes sure the tank can rest snugly against the mount. The outside strap was hammered more flat to fit tightly against the tank.
PXL_20220930_003809414.NIGHT.jpg

On the other side, I bent up some scrap steel to make an extended mount for the clasp bracket. The clasp bracket had to be bent so it could reach around the tank.
PXL_20220930_003825539.NIGHT.jpg

All in all the Kiddie mount was a decent starting point and the tank is very solid in the mount. I am going to add a lock to the base and give the whole thing a fresh coat of paint then mount it to my trailer.

Last edited:

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
You seem to be able to get away with a lot more in the US.
We cannot have the bottle:
  • Inside the vehicle unless transporting it directly from a filling point to a residence or in an externally vented gas locker only accessible from outside the vehicle.
  • On the rear of the vehicle
  • On the side of the vehicle
Added to that is a complication: I live on an island, and the shipping operators require that the bottle be mounted in a purpose-built bracket. They thoroughly check every time (it is a border crossing).
I mounted it on the roof rack, mostly hidden behind my awning.
No issues so far.
I've found the 5lb bottle is sufficient for cooking. If I run out, I just use my backpacking stove until I can refill it. I'm also trying to keep the height down (even though it's already above 8ft)

Attachments

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

You seem to be able to get away with a lot more in the US.
We cannot have the bottle:
  • Inside the vehicle unless transporting it directly from a filling point to a residence or in an externally vented gas locker only accessible from outside the vehicle.
  • On the rear of the vehicle
  • On the side of the vehicle
Added to that is a complication: I live on an island, and the shipping operators require that the bottle be mounted in a purpose-built bracket. They thoroughly check every time (it is a border crossing).
I mounted it on the roof rack, mostly hidden behind my awning.
No issues so far.
I've found the 5lb bottle is sufficient for cooking. If I run out, I just use my backpacking stove until I can refill it. I'm also trying to keep the height down (even though it's already above 8ft)

Just curious, is there a height restriction for the rear or side mounting, like is a mount 5' up legal?