Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I am a working engineer with 40+ years of fabricating, wheeling, and expeditions. I am interested in finding out who out there is into fabrication.

Over the years I have built about anything you can imagine. I built my daily driver/rock crawler/expedition vehicle, a 1985 Jeep Cherokee. It has the first 4.7L stroker in Colorado (1998), Dana 44s locked front and rear on 35's. I fab'd all the bumpers, skids, and boat sides. I have a full wood and metal shop with CNC.

I just finished my latest project, a offroad teardrop. It is steel framed on air bags on 31's.

How many other compulsive fabricators are out there?

Last edited:

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I expect there are a lot of fabricators on this site, in all skill levels. I think the biggest variable would be accessible tool and someone who taught them. I have a well equipped shop, so fabricate everything. First motor swap when i was 20 or so in 1981, v8 swapped into a 1942 flat fender.

20150905_090639.jpg

Other projects over the years;

Built my 10 inch stretch chopper
20140717_163157.jpg

Converted a cj5 from leaf springs to 4 link rear and 3 link front suspension with 35 inch king shocks. Last weekend, i used a Toyota front torsion bar to build a rear swaybar for this jeep as well.
20160228_165527.jpg

20160228_165417.jpg
Converted my son's 2008 jeep 4 door from a v6 to a 5.7 hemi v8 this summer.

This winter stretching the frame 26 inches on my 1947 cj3 (already has a v6 and 4 speed) and shortening the body to make it into a small truck with a 104 inch wheelbase. I did the original work and 76 corvette yellow paint 20 years ago, still looks good...
20170303_065911.jpg

Built my own toy hauler
20150411_123601.jpg

I expect my skill set is higher than most, but doesnt mean others are not fabricators, just fewer tools and a skill set that is still developing. For those folks, make a friend who has knowledge and tools and learn everything you can. I'm transfering my skill and knowldege to my 2 sons, so my skill is being passed to the next generation. Those who know should be teaching the next generation.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Sweet work on both the vehicles and the trailer. Looks like your significant other is supportive. My wife says she has never been jealous of another woman but has thought about shooting my Jeep a few times. :smiley:

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Sweet work on both the vehicles and the trailer. Looks like your significant other is supportive. My wife says she has never been jealous of another woman but has thought about shooting my Jeep a few times. :smiley:
Yup, my wife enjoys the dual sport, harley, jeeps, camping, shooting, anything we can do together. When I raced national off road events around the country, she even managed the pit crew, and even stayed up all night in the pits when I would race a 24 hour event so she was ready when i had to pit, but she didnt much enjoy the emergency room visit after a hard crash. I always watched the doc putting stitches in to close a wound, so she tried to watch me get 17 stitches...she fainted, so thats the one thing I now do alone. :) Still, im a pretty lucky dude she's still with me after 37 years of adrenaline adventures...

Reactions: Chadlyb

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My wife of 42 years has put up with 16 orthopedic surgeries and a couple of cancer surgeries with me. Now she just gives the recovery room nurse here cell phone number and goes shopping. I wake up to the smell of burning plastic. I figure in about $2000 for that with each surgery. I can't complain, she surprised me on my birthday 22 years ago with my first Jeep Cherokee.

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

Just about 28 years in all phases of collision repair.
I can do all of it start to finish,including mechanical and electrical repair.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I work in satellite communications and for “fun” I design circuits. Lately I have been trying my hand at automotive circuits. It’s been a lot of fun so far playing with relays and switches that are much larger than I normally use. Also the distances from switch to relay to device (light, cb radio, whatever ..) are also much greater, but still it is a lot of fun.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Not nearly the level here, but it's true, tools are the key, but space is my limiting factor.

Living in Southern California, we don't have "garages", we have what we call "California basements" which means that anything that doesn't belong in the house gets stored in the garage, and that is my space, but recognize that storage is a necessary evil.

The garage is my sanctuary, my wife (of 33 years) knows that when I'm stressed out or bummed out or burned out, time spent in the garage is the best thing for me.

I love making stuff with my hands, out of wood, metal, I can cut a straight line and melt metal together and love to learn new stuff, I recently am learning to sew and that's a lot of fun, and solve problems which is what I usually do when I can't sleep at 3 AM.

Dan.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have the space problem, also in SoCal. I really need two shops, one for metal working (where sparks are acceptable) and another for woodworking (where no sparks are allowed). Plus I could use a nice clean area where I could do finishing and leather work.

I am mostly self-taught. It used to be books, now it is youtube. One way or another I can figure out most processes. I blame my grandfather for putting me on this path. He was a depression era farm boy who joined the Navy and became an electrician. He fixed cars on the side for some extra income and rebuilt old clocks for pleasure. If he couldn't find the parts he needed then he would make them. Necessity is the mother of invention. He taught me to keep at it, and if necessary, back up and try it from another angle.

Over the years I have become less and less satisfied with the quality of work I get when I pay someone else to do something, so I pretty much do everything myself. I would rather buy a tool than pay someone to disappoint me.

I sort of blended my metal working skills with my woodworking when I bought a new tablesaw. I wasn't happy with the mobile base that came with the new saw, so I decided to build my own mobile base, and decided I would rather have cast iron than a laminated wood extension table, so I worked the old tablesaw into the new one, and added a cast iron router wing at the end. Here is the frame, ready for paint:

And here is the not finished, but at least functional assembly.

And the router end:

It still isn't finished. It spends most of its time as a horizontal storage space. Just one of the many reasons I need more shop space.

I do handtool work too. This box is my first (and thus far only) run at hand-cut dovetails, and my second and third run at inlay (yes, this is where my avatar comes from):

And:

I do some machining as well. When my grandparents died I inherited $1,000. Not a lot of money, but enough to buy something that would honor their memory. I bought an old Logan lathe. That has opened up some options I would not otherwise have.

When I started having trouble with a window in my dually it turned out to be nothing more than a broken roller. Problem is, you can't buy just the roller by itself. You are supposed to spend about $100 to replace the entire regulator assembly. I don't want to replace the whole assembly. That is an unnecessary pain in the rear. So I bought a piece of Delrin off ebay and ground a cutter so I could cut the inside ball socket. If my time is worth anything then it would have been cheaper to just buy the whole stupid assembly and replace it, but my bride will tell you that I have just a wee bit of a stubborn streak. (That is the broken one in the back, held together with a piece of wire so that I knew what I needed to reproduce.)

And I have even managed to figure out a bit of threading. This is the base of my support system for my rotating mast for ham radio transmitter hunting. It threads into a stainless thru-hull fitting in the roof of my XJ. If you look closely you will see the evidence of my repair from crashing the thread cutting tooling into the workpiece on the last pass. At least I didn't damage my tooling, and the part still works. I keep learning. The hard way.

I don't have any pictures of my leather working. I haven't done any of that since digital cameras became a thing. I do have some campaign stools on my to-do list though. Once I get to those I will have to break out the leather tools.

If I had the resources I would love to get one of those old Flxible buses and rebuild the entire thing, inside and out, turning it into a classy travel rig. From the drivetrain to the interior finishing I have all the skills to build a rolling work of art, but it would take me years, and by then The Varmints would be grown up and gone and there would be little point to it. So I settle for building my Jeep and Suburban and traveling in those. It is the getting out and doing things that matter more than the vehicle.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I build stuff all the time because either a) the market doesn't have exactly what I need or b) whoever does sell it thinks I'm an idiot with tons of money. Some people have more money than sense so it doesn't hurt my feelings when they voluntarily rob themself, but I'm short on money.

At work I'm known for building things we use because purchasing rules for specialized equipment are ridiculous and between the time wasted navigating the paperwork and the inflated prices of "officially recognized vendors", the bosses realized that it just makes more sense to give me $20 from their personal wallet and I can build a better version of a $75 tool for $10-$15. They have money, just not time.

Only problem for me is that I can't really do much because of space and finances. But once I can get some property closer to work I should be able do some really cool stuff.

Here's my biggest forum relevant project
Built my fishing/gear trailer

...with outdoor kitchen compatibility.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

It all started in High School for me, I was an industrial arts major. Back then high schools still had shop classes and I took them all wood, metal, graphic arts, auto, plastics shop and drafting of course.

Started making my own parts for vehicles two weeks after I got my first car which was a 57 Chevy 4dr wagon, and it was not an old car back then!

Currently our home has a three car garage that has only been able to fit a car in it for the last 7 months out of the 12 years we have lived here. I was finally able to move the track car into 2/3's of one of the spots because it is small. LOL I have racing posters and flags rolled up and stored away because I have no wall space to put them on, all my walls have shelves on them to store all my 40 years of saved widgets! ANYONE less have this issue! LOL

Anyway I have made to many things to list for personal use and for work ranging from things for the house and yard to stuff for vehicles.

Track car - an 11 year on going father son project:

motorin30.jpg

dashin5.jpg

79trunk6.jpg

Rack for truck

awning 11.jpg

Side note: We/I have a three car garage for storage - work shop. Most of the work on projects is done next to the garage in our 14' wide x 40' long covered RV storage area - carport. Only in the last 7 months have I been able to clear a space in the garage for the track car, good thing it is a small car!

Last edited:
Reactions: old_man and Chadlyb

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
We just bought a new house a couple of years ago. I told the wife I wanted a 6000 sq ft shop with a small 3 bedroom ranch attached.

I ended up with an oversized 3 car garage.

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Not me but my wife :-)
She is a certified welder, and has many projects in the oil and gas industry behind her here in Norway.
Tig, Mig, structural, pipe, black steel, stainless, whatever needs doing. :-)