Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
My wife really HATES being cold. We joke about her lizard gene. We have had a 12v blanket in our kit for years. Usually had to use a deep cycle boat battery and charge it with the alternator and an isolator, back before it was cool. I only got her to try out the new roof tent this past fall when I promised to plug in her blanket. She even wanted the blanket when I tested the diesel heater build. She LOVES her electric blankey!

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Finally figured out how to run a electric blanket all night while overlanding. Thought I'd share what I came up with. Managing the power station between the blanket and the vehicle cooler. Hope this helps you all stay toasty out there!
Yeah, yeah - cold, electric blankets. I get it.

Let's talk about that Split-Window Coupe.

j/k :)

Thanks for the video - very informative. And, coincidentally, I just bought a Goal Zero Yeti 200X for this exact purpose. I too cannot tolerate the cold and I have one of those questionable quality 12v electric blankets and am currently testing how long the 200X will run it.

So far, if my math works out, looks to be about 6 hours. If that's accurate and consistent, I will be very happy with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: B Miller

B Miller

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Miller
Service Branch
Fire and Rescue
Yeah, yeah - cold, electric blankets. I get it.

Let's talk about that Split-Window Coupe.

j/k :)

Thanks for the video - very informative. And, coincidentally, I just bought a Goal Zero Yeti 200X for this exact purpose. I too cannot tolerate the cold and I have one of those questionable quality 12v electric blankets and am currently testing how long the 200X will run it.

So far, if my math works out, looks to be about 6 hours. If that's accurate and consistent, I will be very happy with that.
Let us know how it goes. I'd love to see other options :)

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have been using a small 110 volt blanket for some time in the cold season plugged into Jackery 1000. Run it on high for fifteen to twenty minutes before bed to climb into a warm bed. then run it on low or med depending on how cold never needed high yet, last winter we spend a few nights in the Gazelle with single digit temps and were more than warm enough. using on a long night would consume less than 40 percent capacity. I am considering going to a 12 volt version powered from the cig lighter on the jackery and see how that compares, that way the inverter does not have to run. (on high setting the Jackerys fan kicks on and off occaisionaly during the night which may disturb some) Best part is not having to run a mr buddy and greatly reduces condensation in the tent.

Reactions: B Miller