How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
The reason your not seeing things get resupplied at the store is likely that the trucks arent coming.
Well, most things are in stock. The shelves at Winco are mostly recovered, and Costco seemed to be doing just fine this last Monday I visited.

What boggles my mind is that TP and other paper products has been consistently out of stock since day 1 of the hoarding. I wonder if it is because manufacturing of this has been so consolidated? We used to have a Kimberly Clark manufacturing site (including TP) just a few miles north of us up until a few years ago.
If all of the manufacturing is consolidated, it'll be more difficult to catch up. Right now would be a bad time for a fire at a facility!

Last edited:

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
California is pretty much locked down, other than for necessary tasks. I'm not saying everyone is following the shelter at home orders, but we are! Been pretty much hanging at the house doing work on the rig and spending time with the wife and kid..... Getting some much needed maintenance done, we'll be ready for the Continental Divide trip in August....

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Me and my husband @M Rose are worried about you M Rose said he will send DM too you.
Noooooooooooooo, please dont worry, I am okay. I think most everyone rural must be as bad off as we are here. Even my chickens have decided not to lay just when I need them - LOL. I'm not liking the situation but it's caused by poverty in the community, as I see it. Those that have, have plenty even if they have to drive 120 miles to the nearest Sams or Costco. Those without have been that way all their lives. The people around me can survive on pinto beans, flour, lard and jalapeno chili peppers, about the only food item on the shelves. If things get bad enough FEMA will take care of most with their trillion dollar MRE food bank.

Our Governor will do anything to please her Native American and Hispanic voter block. Without them she is Mud. In my opinion the pandemic is not as big a problem as the political problem this country is facing.

My son came down from Colorado with his two boy's 19 and 16 to do three years of yard clean up for me since I haven't been able to do it myself or find anyone to do it for me. My 64 year old daughter lives with me and works for an insurance co in town. They closed their doors on Monday and she is working from home now. So many people are online that our internet is barely working (slow to slower). So many issues related to the pandemic out of fear. I Didn't know we had so many insecure citizens, they didn't show it until the announcement and brainwashing given to them about Coronavirus by the media Hype !

Reactions: M Rose

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Walmart and costco get their goods somewhere its not like walmart drives out to the farms and picks up produce, it comes from a 3rd party's supply chain.
My Walmart warehouse sits right next to the railway and gets it's goods off the RR box cars that unload many times a day. They buy as much produce as they can from local farmers but most of the produce comes in on freight trains from Mexico daily. I'm sure there may be some that is trucked but not the major amounts of supplies. The truckers I know say they are busy as hell but they are not freight truck drivers themselves.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Noooooooooooooo, please dont worry, I am okay. I think most everyone rural must be as bad off as we are here. Even my chickens have decided not to lay just when I need them - LOL. I'm not liking the situation but it's caused by poverty in the community, as I see it. Those that have, have plenty even if they have to drive 120 miles to the nearest Sams or Costco. Those without have been that way all their lives. The people around me can survive on pinto beans, flour, lard and jalapeno chili peppers, about the only food item on the shelves. If things get bad enough FEMA will take care of most with their trillion dollar MRE food bank.

Our Governor will do anything to please her Native American and Hispanic voter block. Without them she is Mud. In my opinion the pandemic is not as big a problem as the political problem this country is facing.

My son came down from Colorado with his two boy's 19 and 16 to do three years of yard clean up for me since I haven't been able to do it myself or find anyone to do it for me. My 64 year old daughter lives with me and works for an insurance co in town. They closed their doors on Monday and she is working from home now. So many people are online that our internet is barely working (slow to slower). So many issues related to the pandemic out of fear. I Didn't know we had so many insecure citizens, they didn't show it until the announcement and brainwashing given to them about Coronavirus by the media Hype !
I am worried, not just for you Jim, but for those around you as well. We are in a similar boat here. Lucky for us, the Veteran Crisis community has offered to step in and help those in need. I turned down their help at this exact time as I am not in need of much. I did however take down their contact information so I could pass it along to those that can use the help in my community that may be overlooked (like my dad).
Please respond to my message so we can start brainstorming ways to help local communities.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A very good Watch by @Michael
Overland Bound HQ is stepping up. Let’s do our part and show them that we too care and want to do our part.
Support Alert is now LIVE!!!

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I agree that is public speaking 101. I recently posted in a different thread; what I thought would be a funny, but it bombed badly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My main reason for posting the video:
  • 1:28 min “If we are ranking sources of health experts on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is some random person ranting on Facebook (or OB :grinning:) and 10 is the World Health Organization!” She claims to about 7 or 8.
  • I had hoped you would appreciate this, and I do believe anybody that takes the time to watch will benefit from this information.
7:46 min “We can get better at travel restrictions and quarantine, and we should. But they are not the only option or the best option for dealing with these situations.”
She does state that we need a better world health system as does Larry Brilliant:
(Major take away “Early detection early response.” 15:40 min the only way to deal with a pandemic.) and Bill gates:
(he was spot on with his assessment), but this all needed to be done before SHTF!

It’s not just the US that did not prepare, this is an issue all over the world, hopefully, some good will come from it and people will light a fire under their representative's butts to support the recommendations of the speakers in the videos and not what appears to always be knee jerk reactions.

• 5:59 “we can’t stop the outbreaks with quarantine and travel restrictions!” its physically impossible to get that in place fast enough to stop the outbreak.”

I have read that we are looking at 18 months or more for a vaccine, I do not remember who the expert was that said it. It is now being repeated all over.

I am now going to try to make my point now:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

I pulled these words for word from the various scenario the paper has.

• In the case of COVID-19, it will be at least a 12-18 months before a vaccine is available (References #3). Furthermore, there is no guarantee that initial vaccines will have high efficacy.
  • Since the aim of mitigation is to minimise mortality, the interventions need to remain in place for as much of the epidemic period as possible. Introducing such interventions too early risks allowing transmission to return once they are lifted (if insufficient herd immunity has developed); pg 7
  • Conditional on that duration, the most effective combination of interventions is predicted to be a combination of case isolation, home quarantine and social distancing of those most at risk (the over 70s). pg 8
  • Stopping mass gatherings is predicted to have relatively little impact (results not shown) because the contact-time at such events is relatively small compared to the time spent at home, in schools or workplaces and in other community locations such as bars and restaurants. Pg. 8
  • A combination of case isolation, social distancing of the entire population and either household quarantine or school and university closure are required (Figure 3, Table 4). Measures are assumed to be in place for a 5-month duration. Pg. 10
  • Not accounting for the potential adverse effect on ICU capacity due to absenteeism, school and university closure is predicted to be more effective in achieving suppression than household quarantine. Pg. 10
  • The more successful a strategy is at temporary suppression, the larger the later epidemic is predicted to be in the absence of vaccination, due to lesser build-up of herd immunity. Pg. 11
  • A minimum policy for effective suppression is therefore population-wide social distancing combined with home isolation of cases and school and university closure.
  • To avoid a rebound in transmission, these policies will need to be maintained until large stocks of vaccine are available to immunise the population – which could be 18 months or more Pg. 14-15
  • Long-term suppression may not be a feasible policy option in many countries. Our results show that the alternative relatively short-term (3-month) mitigation policy option might reduce deaths seen in the epidemic by up to half, and peak healthcare demand by two-thirds. The combination of case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of those at higher risk of severe outcomes (older individuals and those with other underlying health conditions) are the most effective policy combination for epidemic mitigation. Pg. 15
Are we doing more harm than good by having everyone quarantine inside of there house and not having any social interaction? I believe the answer is yes and when the 15 days to slow the spread (https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf) is lifted the virus is going to roar back with a vengeance, all we have done is delay the inevitable. 6:33 min “A period where you are infected and show no symptoms for as long as 24 days.”
I hope I am wrong.

knowledge, experience, and ability, due come with age and a lot of time studying at the school of hard knocks; if you did not let prejudice and fear corrupt you on your journey. Which I am pondering is her reasoning for her attempt at humor with the old person joke.

If you are still serious about meeting on the trail someday “Iced tea and cornbread took the place of Pills and 90 proof” for me many years ago, Coffee sounds great. If things are better by August do you have any plans to go to the Overland Expo Mountain West?

Hey John -

Things have been moving fast and furious this week, and it isn't even over. Though much of our conversation seems moot at this point, as more and more, and longer, closures are ordered and more communities are issuing Stay Away pleas, you deserve a reply. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your response. I'm not challenging for another reply with this. I wrote most of it last Monday morning. Much has changed since then.

Your point-making seems based on thinking I said Staying At Home and not adventuring for a while will stop the spread or stop the virus altogether, and that staying at home means hide in the house and have no interaction with anyone. I've been clear in everything I've said here and elsewhere that slowing things down and flattening the curve of initial infections by staying put for now and not contributing to the spread will create less of a sudden spike and burden on health systems and other support systems.

Not stop the spread or stop the virus--we are way past being able to do that--but slow it down and flatten the curve. It's a time-proven method.

It seems too you think I'm advocating for 15 Days being enough. I don't believe I've written or implied that anywhere. I definitely do not think the 15 Days To Slow the Spread deal, which I've linked to as well in various places, is enough. Nor do I think it will 'lift'. It should not. It may be extended considerably, and should be. (edit: and already has, even by the admin)

I also don't think it was introduced too early, and by your logic, ineffective. It was introduced too late, in my opinion and yes, needs to be strengthened and continue longer through the pandemic. That has been obvious since the beginning, though few have been willing to accept it.

School closures all over the country, first put into effect for two weeks, have already been extended 'til the end of April because folks know the admin's 15 Days is kind of, well, ludicrous. Many businesses have announced closures for much longer than two weeks. Others know they'll likely be closed longer than the 15 Days but not how long. There have been a lot more issuing of "Locals Only" policies around the country for the foreseeable future because too many have adventured to places they're not welcome, many in caravans, for chris'sake. They've put a burden on local resources and have increased fears. I hope it doesn't get to the point where strict don't-even-go-outside-your-house quarantine is in place and enforced with the National Guard policing the streets, but if folks don't do their part more than they have been, it may.

I believe the "15 Days" page was rushed out to help appease fears and placate the American public, as the admin was largely seen as not doing anything cohesive, or not enough, or in too confused a manner by many quarters. Indeed, as far as I'm concerned, the 15 Days seemed the first time in this crisis that the admin presented a more united front in facing it head on.

In fact, I'm betting things will shift and change dramatically, and a lot more than they already have, over the next few weeks. I don't think the plans that are in place now will be the same at all by Easter.

It still is the best thing to stay put, stay close to home, and not go adventuring. More people should have over the last week than did.

It doesn't mean sequestering yourself in your basement or strictly in your house without going outside at all. Though, like I said, if folks don't start getting on board more than they are, it might mean stay IN your house orders are issued with more regularity.

To that same message, you can see what another adventure forum issued last Sunday:

Michael, here at OB, made a short vid last night saying much the same. It's also linked to above in this thread.

I wish more would do the same.

As for Overland Expo West in Aug, who knows. I've attended past gatherings, including Expo and enjoyed them. Last time I tried, for Expo East in 2018 (the mudfest), I lost my entire Full Experience fee because of road trouble on the way there. I wasn't able to attend it or American Adventurist's Appalachian Rendezvous, though did make the Rooftop Tent Rally in VA.

My life on the road often takes unexpected turns. I've learned over the years not to plan too far in advance, and right now, especially with the current virus crisis, August is far too far in the future to even think about, much less make plans for. That said though, I've been asked a few times to consider presenting at Expo about things like vanlife adventuring, self-sufficient backcountry camping, night sky photography, and extended solo travel. Might happen, might not; I have no earthly idea right now.

And yeah, definitely still interested in meeting out here somewhere, someday for coffee and chat around a fire. No reason not to. I'm always interested in meeting others who like to get out and adventure, especially folks who take the time like you have to discuss stuff rationally.

Again, I really appreciate your response.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In Canada we have just introduced rent support of $500/month for the next 4 months. I think that should give an indication of how long to expect social distancing requirements. We also just introduced an expedited EI process for workers unemployed as a result of the slow down. First cheques are expected to arrive by April 12th.

China is seeing a rapid drop in the rate of infections and some factories are reopening. They were first hit with COVID 19 in December, so 4 months of staying home seems pretty realistic.

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
In Canada we have just introduced rent support of $500/month for the next 4 months. I think that should give an indication of how long to expect social distancing requirements. We also just introduced an expedited EI process for workers unemployed as a result of the slow down. First cheques are expected to arrive by April 12th.

China is seeing a rapid drop in the rate of infections and some factories are reopening. They were first hit with COVID 19 in December, so 4 months of staying home seems pretty realistic.
It will be interesting to keep an eye on China and see if and to what magnitude infections re-emerge once restrictions are loosened.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

So what does everyone plan on doing with the pandemic tax return assuming we all live long enough to see it? Are you going to actually need it to get by? or are you planning to buy something for fun? Or?

Reactions: Relic6.3

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It will be interesting to keep an eye on China and see if and to what magnitude infections re-emerge once restrictions are loosened.

There's been a fair amount of concern that their numbers have been vastly under-reported, both in confirmed cases of late and deaths throughout the whole ordeal. Reports too that some industries have been directed to put on a happy face of sorts.

In Italy health staff have said on air in some hospitals they quit trying to count how many dead in any accurate way.

I'm intrigued by a lot of the engineering and home-grown solutions to creating ventilators. Some using full-face snorkeling masks and printed parts that are now going into production of conversion kits, however limited.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

So what does everyone plan on doing with the pandemic tax return assuming we all live long enough to see it? Are you going to actually need it to get by? or are you planning to buy something for fun? Or?
Direct deposit into savings; maybe use it to pay for new siding, or maybe for a slide-in truck camper. Nothing immediate either way unless a killer deal comes around.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

With social distancing and the stresses it brings, how have you noticed trail density and your adventure quality be affected, and have you had to cancel any adventures because of it?
1 week since OP, 0 adventures taken, 0 planned, trail (foot)down to next to nothing.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It is a virus, I think the WHO etc already know what that might be and why. The why will be someone from a country like Canada or the USA where we still in the early stages travelling to China and starting the cycle all over with those who have yet developed an immunity. It will be a smaller scale since the entire country is no longer vulnerable unless it mutates into a new form.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I was really going to try and make it to Overland Expo this year and even had the days scheduled off from work ... not sure if I will be able to get the time off in July ... not even sure if things will be back to normal by then.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I don't need it to get by ... I work in logistics and business is booming. I feel guilty about getting this money I don't need when so many others do ... Is anyone else feeling like that?