Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

We have mainly used google tracking and then pulled KML files, this gets boring and tiring.

I have seen - Polarsteps used and wonder who else is using this app.?

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Gaia gps updated by wifi from my tablet in the rig to the cloud database.
That way at work I can use the PC to plan and look over past tracks/notes and then import info for new trips

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
There are many of these digital diaries out there that can also be used for recording a trip. I myself don't use anything like that. If I want to record a track, then via OruxMaps or very simple with my Garmin GPS 278 which I use anyway for navigation or with the OB1 app. So a recorded track in the usual formats has for me the advantage that I can export, import, edit, etc. as I just need it. With these solutions I can also very easily save POIs and share.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting concept, however, being the overlanding curmudgeon that I am and since I depend on no digital mapping tools, I leave breadcrumbs. Actually, my wife is amazed at how well I remember where I have driven before, sometimes years later. We were recently out with a fellow traveler that lost his mind because his GIA app crashed. We were out ahead about 15 minutes, and he got on the radio freaking out about which way to go. Hmmm, there was only one way to go and that was to stay on the main track. My advice to all newcomers to this hobby? Learn to use paper maps, dead reckoning, and seat of the pants navigation. Then enjoy enjoy your other hobby and the luxury of digital navigation and tracking.

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Interesting concept, however, being the overlanding curmudgeon that I am and since I depend on no digital mapping tools, I leave breadcrumbs. Actually, my wife is amazed at how well I remember where I have driven before, sometimes years later. We were recently out with a fellow traveler that lost his mind because his GIA app crashed. We were out ahead about 15 minutes, and he got on the radio freaking out about which way to go. Hmmm, there was only one way to go and that was to stay on the main track. My advice to all newcomers to this hobby? Learn to use paper maps, dead reckoning, and seat of the pants navigation. Then enjoy enjoy your other hobby and the luxury of digital navigation and tracking.
Speaking of paper maps, does anyone know of a source online for MVUM paper maps? I know they’re generally free at ranger stations, but when I head out for weekend trips I can never seem to make it to the ranger station before they close.

I’m generally pretty ok at keeping my bearings and retracing paths if I need to, but it sure would be nice to have a paper backup..

Kris

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Speaking of paper maps, does anyone know of a source online for MVUM paper maps? I know they’re generally free at ranger stations, but when I head out for weekend trips I can never seem to make it to the ranger station before they close.

I’m generally pretty ok at keeping my bearings and retracing paths if I need to, but it sure would be nice to have a paper backup..

Kris
Kris, you have access to the most up to date MVUM on the OB1 app.
They are updated monthly.

I will find the link to a site to get the paper maps and post it

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Kris
Kris, you have access to the most up to date MVUM on the OB1 app.
They are updated monthly.

I will find the link to a site to get the paper maps and post it
Thanks, yeah I have digital copies of everything I need, but like I said it’s always good to have a backup that doesn’t need batteries. Also, paper maps are cool :)

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks, yeah I have digital copies of everything I need, but like I said it’s always good to have a backup that doesn’t need batteries. Also, paper maps are cool :)
I totally agree, I buy a map in each forest I visit. ;-)

Reactions: El-Dracho

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I use a combo of a few apps (digital navigation), dedicated GPS (in-vehicle navigation) and paper maps (in-hand navigation) for travel. However, when it comes to tracking purposes, I'm pretty simple.

IMAG3000.jpg