Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I'm looking to buy an overland vehicle capable of doing the Pan-American (with detours). Buying an LHD vehicle in the US gives me more options than bringing my own (RHD, Insurance is difficult).
Looking at what's for sale anything with a Toyota badge will be way out of my budget (like it is in my home country, Australia).

I see plenty of full-size Dodge, GM, and Ford, pickups for 20% of what we get them for in Australia.

Looking at something built in the last 10 years, less than 80,000 miles.
I will probably add a canopy with a sleeping area on a 5-seater pickup.
$20k-30k + fitout

Will they go the distance?

It may end up with Montana Plates but there is going to be at least some pieces of Tasmania in the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yes, you can purchase a full size 4 door full sized truck for that price pretty easily. I don't know what LHD means? Getting one with lockers will be a issue. Califorina and Arizona truck will have less rust generally speaking. I would look at history on Carfax or something like it. There are plenty of all U S trucks that will make that trip. As for aftermarket stuff Ford, Dodge, GM in that order. I have owned Ford and Dodge and all have done me well. I am planing to do Pam American in a Ford f350 gas flatbed with a pop-top camper.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Get a 2500 or 3500 fullsize and you will be fine, they get the job done. Stay away from oilfield trucks or mining, it's the same as in Australia. Driving an American vehicle in America is a good idea, parts and knowledge are common. My experience comes from American vehicles in Germany.
Major issue is corrosion.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Yes, you can purchase a full size 4 door full sized truck for that price pretty easily. I don't know what LHD means? Getting one with lockers will be a issue. Califorina and Arizona truck will have less rust generally speaking. I would look at history on Carfax or something like it. There are plenty of all U S trucks that will make that trip. As for aftermarket stuff Ford, Dodge, GM in that order. I have owned Ford and Dodge and all have done me well. I am planing to do Pam American in a Ford f350 gas flatbed with a pop-top camper.
"LHD" means Left Hand Drive.

Reactions: MMc

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We drove a 2001 Diesel Ford E350, after market 4x4, all over the Americas. We came across many Ford, Chevy, and Dodge/Rams. There are also many Ford based class Cs kicking around down south. VW, Nissan, and Toyota have a bigger presence depending on which country you are in but there are many differences in models between countries. A US Tacoma is not a Hilux. That being said, Cummins has a decent presence so a Ram with the 5.9 is a solid choice...might be hard in that price point though.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Seems like a poor way to open this topic. I wouldn't make a post asking about travel to Australia (where I've actually spent significant time) with "how bad is Australian...". I would counter with a jab about the Australian auto industry, but hey all AUS brands are just subsidiaries of US companies, or simply rebranded US models.

Anyway, I have ~155k miles on this:
1724424999716.png
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD (Duramax diesel, Allison trans).

It hasn't lived a pampered life, going from my daily driver and race car hauler, to towing ~17k lbs+ 5th wheels, to its current form as an Overlander. However, it has had religious maintenance and some tasteful, functional modifications.

Overall full size American trucks are pretty reliable, with a few notable exceptions (do not, no matter what anyone tells you or how "great of a deal" they seem to be buy a Ford 6.0 or 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel, EVER). I've started to see a lot of clean, moderate mileage LBZ Duramax trucks ('06-07 Chevy/GMC, not the late '07 with the new body which is an LMM) in your price range but you'll be outside of your somewhat arbitrary mileage limit. Personally, I'd take a 150k mi clean, well maintained LBZ/Duramax for $20-30k over a 80k mi gasser.

-TJ

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Overall full size American trucks are pretty reliable, with a few notable exceptions (do not, no matter what anyone tells you or how "great of a deal" they seem to be buy a Ford 6.0 or 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel, EVER).

-TJ
yeah, i bought a 2008 f350 and the 6.4 was awesome at first, but once i got over 50k miles on it, had radiator leaks, egr problems, etc. i paid close to $60k for it and it ended up so bad i traded it in and was only given $5k trade-in. and i actually felt lucky to get that. duramax and cummins have always been great. i had the old rams with cummins/allison combo and those were extremely reliable platforms.

• Wow
Reactions: orange01z28

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
Seems like a poor way to open this topic. I wouldn't make a post asking about travel to Australia (where I've actually spent significant time) with "how bad is Australian...". I would counter with a jab about the Australian auto industry, but hey all AUS brands are just subsidiaries of US companies, or simply rebranded US models.

Anyway, I have ~155k miles on this:
View attachment 283441
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD (Duramax diesel, Allison trans).

It hasn't lived a pampered life, going from my daily driver and race car hauler, to towing ~17k lbs+ 5th wheels, to its current form as an Overlander. However, it has had religious maintenance and some tasteful, functional modifications.

Overall full size American trucks are pretty reliable, with a few notable exceptions (do not, no matter what anyone tells you or how "great of a deal" they seem to be buy a Ford 6.0 or 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel, EVER). I've started to see a lot of clean, moderate mileage LBZ Duramax trucks ('06-07 Chevy/GMC, not the late '07 with the new body which is an LMM) in your price range but you'll be outside of your somewhat arbitrary mileage limit. Personally, I'd take a 150k mi clean, well maintained LBZ/Duramax for $20-30k over a 80k mi gasser.

-TJ
I've driven this truck, i've ridden in this truck, and i've seen it go places that mall crawler jeeps wouldn't go. It's a beast, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it around the world

TJ, would you say the same 150k mile diesel over a 80k mile gasser if it was a Toyota? That's the reason for the Toyota badge upcharge the OP mentioned.

OP- If you're doing the Pan American, even though IFS is more comfortable on and off road, I would look for one of the solid axle Fords or Rams. This means you're in at least 3/4 ton territory, ie Ram 2500 or F250. I know there's some gnarly parts of the trail and i'd want a solid axle. I say this as someone who's main wheeling vehicle is a 4Runner