Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I'm looking to buy an overland vehicle capable of doing the Pan-American (with detours). Buying an LHD vehicle in the US gives me more options than bringing my own (RHD, Insurance is difficult).
Looking at what's for sale anything with a Toyota badge will be way out of my budget (like it is in my home country, Australia).

I see plenty of full-size Dodge, GM, and Ford, pickups for 20% of what we get them for in Australia.

Looking at something built in the last 10 years, less than 80,000 miles.
I will probably add a canopy with a sleeping area on a 5-seater pickup.
$20k-30k + fitout

Will they go the distance?

It may end up with Montana Plates but there is going to be at least some pieces of Tasmania in the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yes, you can purchase a full size 4 door full sized truck for that price pretty easily. I don't know what LHD means? Getting one with lockers will be a issue. Califorina and Arizona truck will have less rust generally speaking. I would look at history on Carfax or something like it. There are plenty of all U S trucks that will make that trip. As for aftermarket stuff Ford, Dodge, GM in that order. I have owned Ford and Dodge and all have done me well. I am planing to do Pam American in a Ford f350 gas flatbed with a pop-top camper.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Get a 2500 or 3500 fullsize and you will be fine, they get the job done. Stay away from oilfield trucks or mining, it's the same as in Australia. Driving an American vehicle in America is a good idea, parts and knowledge are common. My experience comes from American vehicles in Germany.
Major issue is corrosion.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Yes, you can purchase a full size 4 door full sized truck for that price pretty easily. I don't know what LHD means? Getting one with lockers will be a issue. Califorina and Arizona truck will have less rust generally speaking. I would look at history on Carfax or something like it. There are plenty of all U S trucks that will make that trip. As for aftermarket stuff Ford, Dodge, GM in that order. I have owned Ford and Dodge and all have done me well. I am planing to do Pam American in a Ford f350 gas flatbed with a pop-top camper.
"LHD" means Left Hand Drive.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We drove a 2001 Diesel Ford E350, after market 4x4, all over the Americas. We came across many Ford, Chevy, and Dodge/Rams. There are also many Ford based class Cs kicking around down south. VW, Nissan, and Toyota have a bigger presence depending on which country you are in but there are many differences in models between countries. A US Tacoma is not a Hilux. That being said, Cummins has a decent presence so a Ram with the 5.9 is a solid choice...might be hard in that price point though.