griffinblake

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver
First Name
Doren
Last Name
Blake
Hey everyone! My name is Doren Blake. I'm new to the OB family but I'm very excited to be here.

I'm in the market for a new rig and I was hoping you guys might have some good suggestions. I'm looking for a newer vehicle (16-19) as it will be my daily driver too. My top choices currently in no specific order:

1. Colorado zr2/ zr2 bison
2. Ram Rebel
3. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
4. 4 Runner

They all have their pros and cons but I feel like I'm stuck.

Any input would be amazing!

Thanks

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from Central Texas.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

High from Denver!
I see what you did there.

If this is going to be a daily driver, gas mileage might be a factor which almost rules out the Ram. The practicality of the Grand Cherokee may also score some points as a daily driver. But a truck does have its own practical uses. It may come down to what deals you can get on the purchase price. I feel they would all be good at something. You still need to decide which is best for what you need. If I had to choose from that list, I would go with the 4Runner.

griffinblake

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver
First Name
Doren
Last Name
Blake
I see what you did there.

If this is going to be a daily driver, gas mileage might be a factor which almost rules out the Ram. The practicality of the Grand Cherokee may also score some points as a daily driver. But a truck does have its own practical uses. It may come down to what deals you can get on the purchase price. I feel they would all be good at something. You still need to decide which is best for what you need. If I had to choose from that list, I would go with the 4Runner.
I really like 4runners. I just feel like if I were to build one up as much as even like the zr2, it would end up being a lot more expensive..

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
It really depends on what you plan to use it for outside of overlanding. I have had both (several of each, really) and they both have their strengths. An SUV will carry more people, but a truck will carry more gear. Storage is more secure and enclosed in an SUV, but towing capacity is usually greater on a truck. For me, since my kids are mostly grown, I no longer travel with a family of 5. So, people seating isn't as big of a need. I do, however, still need to tow/haul great amounts of cargo sometimes, as well as drive in traffic. Thus, a mid-size truck best suits me as a rig since it is also my daily driver. Unless you plan to do some serious off-roading or rock crawling, you don't really need to have a built up rig. Other than a small lift and LED lighting, my truck is totally stock and it does just fine at everything I've given it.