Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Not as far as I can tell. It’s managed like a national forest so you should be good to go. Maybe call down to a northern Colorado ranger station just to be sure? Or perhaps a Colorado member can speak to that.

Attachments

FrankenWagon

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
Al
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Here is the link that should get you all the information you need.

Living roughly 30 minutes away from Pawnee and having been through there at least once or twice I will say you should be able to drive in and find a space to set up without issue.

Also be mindful of rattlesnakes. I've never seen one out there but I seem to be the exception to the rule.

Reactions: Boort

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Living roughly 30 minutes away from Pawnee and having been through there at least once or twice I will say you should be able to drive in and find a space to set up without issue.

Also be mindful of rattlesnakes. I've never seen one out there but I seem to be the exception to the rule.
As the date is fast approaching, I noticed the wind is getting pretty heavy. Are there areas there to escape the wind? Or is it all prairie and wind will be the norm

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force

As the date is fast approaching, I noticed the wind is getting pretty heavy. Are there areas there to escape the wind? Or is it all prairie and wind will be the norm
Depends on the day but probably the norm. It can change quickly either way though. The Grasslands always has some wind though.

FrankenWagon

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
Al
Last Name
Miller
Member #

All prairie. Normally there is a bit of wind but not bad. Lately its been way too windy.

Another option to test the gear overnight might be on the Poudre River a bit north of Fort Collins. There's a few places along the river in the canyon that might get you out of the wind. They're spots with a dozen or so camp sites and I'm not entirely sure they're open right now being I haven't been by yet this year. That general area is about an hour maybe 90 minutes south of I-80 so still between pickup and a route home.

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I was wondering if you have decided on a place to camp? I'm going up for an overnighter Saturday evening April 30th-Sunday May 1st.
Hoping for good weather but really wouldn't care if it's snowing either???
It's a 2 hour drive from Denver to the 4-mile recreation area where I plan on camping. It's the area of our yearly Colorado June Jam
My daughter is having us dog sit for that week and I'm Jonzing to get out.
Thought I would give my wife a break from me and the dog. Figure on doing some hiking with him while I'm there.
Anyways thought I'd see I f your interested?
This might be a perfect fit for what you are seeking to do.

FrankenWagon

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
Al
Last Name
Miller
Member #

So far it looks like winds will be 10-20mph in the evening out here by Pawnee on the 30th with overnight Temps in the low 30s.

Also dropped a location on the map for a small campground by the Poudre River. On the map take highway 287 north from Fort Collins and take a left at highway 14 and follow the r8ver a ways. There are several on the road. The further you go down the road the higher up in the mountains you'll get so keep that in mind for overnight temps.

Last edited:

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

So far it looks like winds will be 10-20mph in the evening out here by Pawnee on the 30th with overnight Temps in the low 30s.

Also dropped a location on the map for a small campground by the Poudre River. On the map take highway 287 north from Fort Collins and take a left at highway 14 and follow the r8ver a ways. There are several on the road. The further you go down the road the higher up in the mountains you'll get so keep that in mind for overnight temps.
Awesome thank you!

D

Deleted member 14476

So are we all just heading to Colorado this weekend or what? Lol I’m heading up there Saturday from Yuma. We’re gonna try to pick up on the Continental Divide trail in the maverick.

D

Deleted member 14476

So are we all just heading to Colorado this weekend or what? Lol I’m heading up there Saturday from Yuma. We’re gonna try to pick up on the Continental Divide trail in the maverick.
That’ll be awesome. Is it open? I saw where snowpack is 82% still statewide
I have no clue, we’re just going to be free-balling it for the most part. We’re gonna bomb up to Silverton Saturday and re-evaluate once there. If it works out that’ll be the plan, if not I’ll make a Plan B lol.

Reactions: 307dulaney

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Looking for the pin...what did you name it?