Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I just bought a RTT in Denver. I'm driving out from Nebraska on April 30th to pick it up and give it a one night test shakedown. I'm thinking Chinns Lake, but I am concerned about it being crowded and not finding a place on Saturday afternoon/evening. Any locals able to reccomend a offgrid place to camp? Near a alpine lake, stream/river, or epic canyon views near Denver? This is my wife's first "real" overland trip and I'm wanting to make it special! Thanks!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I just bought a RTT in Denver. I'm driving out from Nebraska on April 30th to pick it up and give it a one night test shakedown. I'm thinking Chinns Lake, but I am concerned about it being crowded and not finding a place on Saturday afternoon/evening. Any locals able to reccomend a offgrid place to camp? Near a alpine lake, stream/river, or epic canyon views near Denver? This is my wife's first "real" overland trip and I'm wanting to make it special! Thanks!
Snow pack may be a bigger concern than crowds. I’m not super familiar with that area but I’d check road closure in that area and go from there. It’s still early in the year so crowds aren’t really a thing yet.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Yep I did...miss type April 30th May 1st...my bad...guess I didn't realize that snow pack would still be an issue. Thanks for the heads up

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
You MAY be able to get there at that time, but most likely there will be some snow to get through to do it......It's not exposed to the sun enough to thaw out early. However, it's a good choice of destinations.

Does the RTT have a heater? :wink:

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

No heater...so that's probably gonna be out of the question for wife's first trip...Is there anything close to Denver that would be good? Or should we just Hotel it?

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
No heater...so that's probably gonna be out of the question for wife's first trip...Is there anything close to Denver that would be good? Or should we just Hotel it?
Don’t hotel it. Where are you grabbing the tent? What city? Are you in a time crunch to get back?

gino

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder County, CO, USA
First Name
Gino
Last Name
Zahnd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JGE
High country snow, and yes, cold, is an issue ‘til June in many places west of Denver. You might check out Pawnee National Grasslands north of Denver/east of Fort Collins. It’s on the way back to Nebrasky, and is a cool, under–visited place where you can camp, hike, see some cool native history. Wind can be an issue there, but you live in Nebraska, so that’s nothing new. :-)

You might also dig around places west of Loveland and Fort Collins in the foothills. Plenty of camping (not dispersed), and it won’t be snowed in.

Reactions: 307dulaney

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
To keep warm, get some “Army blankets” to put over your sleeping bags.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Arriving in Denver on Saturday, dropping wife off to visit family. I'll pick up the RTT (Denver) we will spend the night and head back Sunday. So yes there is a time crunch... I'll look into the grasslands, and the Fort Collins. Thanks for the information...

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Arriving in Denver on Saturday, dropping wife off to visit family. I'll pick up the RTT (Denver) we will spend the night and head back Sunday. So yes there is a time crunch... I'll look into the grasslands, and the Fort Collins. Thanks for the information...
Check out the Buffalo Creek and Rampart Range area too. You should be able to disperse camp along Horsetooth reservoir but it’s been a while since I have so that could have changed.

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

I just drove down to Pawnee today. Trying to find a place near home to camp without crowds or access issues for around the same time frame. I’d definitely recommend it. Virtually no trees but beautiful in its own ways. Not much for stream/lake access that I found either. Maps are easy to find from Forest Service website. Dispersed camping allowed all over. Like a grassy desert. I really liked it.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Check out the Buffalo Creek and Rampart Range area too. You should be able to disperse camp along Horsetooth reservoir but it’s been a while since I have so that could have changed.
There is no dispersed camping around on near Horsetooth Res. It’s been quite sometime since you could do that & lots of stuff up both the Poudre Canyon & Big Thompson canyon are still closed from the fires.

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
There is no dispersed camping around on near Horsetooth Res. It’s been quite sometime since you could do that & lots of stuff up both the Poudre Canyon & Big Thompson canyon are still closed from the fires.
Thanks. I think the last time I randomly camped next to Horesetooth was 2007…

I’d point you towards Buffalo creek then. Connifer to Buffalo Creek CR126- go west on FR550.

FrankenWagon

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
Al
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Pawnee Buttes may be worth looking into. Like others have said, there's not much (if any) trees, but the roads are open and snow won't be a problem. They're also not all to far from either I-76 or I-80 on you're way back.

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

How far from Denver are you willing to travel? There are some good low country places to camp this early but they're going to be a good 2-3 hours from Denver at least. The high country will still have snowpack and it still gets very cold in the mountains at night this time of year.

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I think you would have better luck down closer to Colorado springs. The gulches Metberry gulch is my favorite or rainbow falls area. China wall there is a great camp spot at the end. Picture is metberry gulch.
That is gorgeous, But takes us a little too far out of our way. Thanks though.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I just drove down to Pawnee today. Trying to find a place near home to camp without crowds or access issues for around the same time frame. I’d definitely recommend it. Virtually no trees but beautiful in its own ways. Not much for stream/lake access that I found either. Maps are easy to find from Forest Service website. Dispersed camping allowed all over. Like a grassy desert. I really liked it.

Enjoy your trip!!!
Thanks, I think we will try Pawnee... Do I need a state permit for the dispersed camping?