Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Hi Erich,

Thanks I will check out the channel, yeah i feel I am getting close to bitting the bullet on my 1st set of tools, like they say you have to start somewhere and I know you can never have enough tools. I have renovated the camper shell and I purchased tools as I needed them to do the renovation. Funny when I was working in the Boat Building workshop in Port Townsend when I was renovating and repairing her, the shop was like a candy shop for woodworking. when I left the shop early due to the COVID lock down, I had to head North to Vancouver (made it across the border with 2hrs to spare!) I then made a Home Depot carpark my base for 5 weeks while I continued the build, so you can imagine I bought a fair few tools from Home Depot!

After careful consideration and expense I decided to invest in the M12 range

These are awesome as they are 12volt, they have not let me down!

Any I will sign off now and keep focused on getting my Hex Keys, Ractches, Spanners &I Wrenches sorted for this next trip!

Best wishes

Amanda
Please let me know when you will be around Phx, we have plenty of workspace, a spare bedroom and laundry can be done at our place.

On the Milwaukee tools....I love them!!!!
Some notes:
Make sure to buy from Home Depot or a registered vendor, the deals on Amazon and such might not give you warranty coverage.
Get mostly M12 but a few things should be M18 FUEL (and make sure it says FUEL).
The 3/8 stubby impact is AMAZING
250 ft/lbs will change your lug nuts I bet, and the compact size gets in tight places.

The same charger works for M12 & M18 and I have a dc one that work in a cig lighter socket if you don't have an inverter.

Of course you SHOULD use impact sockets, but I will tell you I have beat the snot out of my Tekton regular sockets with my Mikwaukee and there are all fine.
Once you know the sizes you are most often going to impact then order just those get this flip impact set
I use an 3/8 to 1/2 adapter just fine.

Make sure to get a Tekton torque wrench also, this will cover the majority of your needs, you can step to the one what goes to 250lbs but there are only a couple of things I can think of that high and not worth the extra money

Reactions: kunstmilch

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Erich,
I have subscribed the the Last Tool Channel, I watched all his overlanding minamilst videos and found them very helpful in getting my Tool Roll shopping list together. I went one step further and emailed him (Doc) to ask if he could help in the serach for the sizes I should carry and if he knows if my truck is metric or imperial..Here is his reply if you are intrested:-
Hello Amanda

Nice to hear from you. Absolutely beautiful camper!

I don't know much about your particular vehicle, but I'm sure there are many mechanics who work on those trucks who would be happy to list some tools specific to that vehicle. When they do, there might be much repitition to what you already know or have heard. Listen intently because if you suggest that you already know some basics, they might skip over some tools thinking you already know about them. So pretend you are starting at the beginning with each mechanic you talk with.

You can also search the forums and consumer reports for what most commonly goes wrong with the type and year of your truck and supplement your tools and spare parts with that in mind as well. Same when you are building out your fluids, extra bolts, and repair materials kits.

Beyond that, a well rounded tool kit with various common tools including screwdrivers, socket set with extensions, ball peen hammer, serious lug nut wrench, adjustable wrench, various pliers, Knipex Cobras, utility knife, multi-meter, magnetic pickup tool, scissors, chisel, headlamp, etc. Some specialty tools for your vehicle could include e-torx, large hexes, and extra long or short drivers. Of course there is also your tire repair kit and recovery gear too.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best
Doc

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Amanda Cassidy <> wrote:
Hi Doc,

Nice to meet you :-)

I am a new subscriber to your channel and I am hoping you may be able to help me as I am struggling to get the information I need for my tool roll.

You have great knowledge and I am learning a lot from you, well done for creating a great channel.

I totally think the same as you, I like to travel with less in my Tiny Overland House that purchased my 1st pickup truck in 2018 and then restored by hand a 30 year old camper shell in 2020 for my home.

In 2020 during lock down I explored Canada from the West to the East (10,000 miles).

I am embarrassed to say I travelled all over Canada without a comprehensive tool roll, but I don't want to push my luck for my next 3 month overland trip.

Apologies for the ramble, back to the task in hand!

So about a week ago, before discovering you existed, I was inspired by another video from Micheal the founder of Overland Bound.

So I created a thread on the Overland Bound Forum to get help from fellow overlanders regarding what essential sizes of

• Hex Keys
  • Ratches
  • Sockets
  • Spanners
  • Wrenches

I should carry in my tool roll for a forthcoming overland trip for my GMC 2003 1500 Sierra Extended Cab

A very kind Overland bound member kindly suggested that I check out your excellent channel, hence why I dropped you a line today to see if you can help me get the answers to the above.

I am unable to go around the truck with a friends tools and see what sizes I need as the truck is stored securely in a storage unit and I am currently in the UK (flying out end of september)

In the meantime I want to use the time I have now if possible to make purchases in advance from Tekton, but I can't seem to find out on any of the GMC forums what excat sizes I need. I am sure in a year or two I will know the answers just like you do, well maybe not you seem so wise!

I would rather spend money of less tools but quality tools

The thread I posted if you have time to check out if you are an Overland Bound member.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/hex-keys-ratches-sockets-spanners-wrenches.44278/#post-627915

If you could steer me in the direction where I could get the information or if you know what sizes I need for the GMC Sierra 2003 1st Generation that would be awsome

I am also trying not to over complicate things as a new overlander.

I hope that you don't mind me dropping you a line and look forward to hearing and learning from you

Best wishes

Amanda Cassidy
Overland Bound Member #15568

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Hi Erich,
I have subscribed the the Last Tool Channel, I watched all his overlanding minamilst videos and found them very helpful in getting my Tool Roll shopping list together. I went one step further and emailed him (Doc) to ask if he could help in the serach for the sizes I should carry and if he knows if my truck is metric or imperial..Here is his reply if you are intrested:-
Hello Amanda

Nice to hear from you. Absolutely beautiful camper!

I don't know much about your particular vehicle, but I'm sure there are many mechanics who work on those trucks who would be happy to list some tools specific to that vehicle. When they do, there might be much repitition to what you already know or have heard. Listen intently because if you suggest that you already know some basics, they might skip over some tools thinking you already know about them. So pretend you are starting at the beginning with each mechanic you talk with.

You can also search the forums and consumer reports for what most commonly goes wrong with the type and year of your truck and supplement your tools and spare parts with that in mind as well. Same when you are building out your fluids, extra bolts, and repair materials kits.

Beyond that, a well rounded tool kit with various common tools including screwdrivers, socket set with extensions, ball peen hammer, serious lug nut wrench, adjustable wrench, various pliers, Knipex Cobras, utility knife, multi-meter, magnetic pickup tool, scissors, chisel, headlamp, etc. Some specialty tools for your vehicle could include e-torx, large hexes, and extra long or short drivers. Of course there is also your tire repair kit and recovery gear too.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best
Doc

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Amanda Cassidy <> wrote:
You can also call Reynold's Buick GMC in Covina Ca. Ask for Ernie or Robert in Service and tell them Erich with the Suburban sent you. If you ask them specific sizes for specific things, like the tensioner for the belt, the suspension the lug nuts. they can look it up relatively easily.

Reactions: Amanda C

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
You can also call Reynold's Buick GMC in Covina Ca. Ask for Ernie or Robert in Service and tell them Erich with the Suburban sent you. If you ask them specific sizes for specific things, like the tensioner for the belt, the suspension the lug nuts. they can look it up relatively easily.
Hi Erich, Thanks for that suggestion thats a good idea, although I am a little shy on the phone, would you mind asking for me if you happen to be passing their dealership? Also I am in the UK at present, until the 20th of September, hence spending time on forums, not that I am complaining its been a great opportunity to connect with the community, with kind people like yourself!

Best wishes

Amanda

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hi Erich, Thanks for that suggestion thats a good idea, although I am a little shy on the phone, would you mind asking for me if you happen to be passing their dealership? Also I am in the UK at present, until the 20th of September, hence spending time on forums, not that I am complaining its been a great opportunity to connect with the community, with kind people like yourself!

Best wishes

Amanda
Will do. I was thinking more like if there was a specific torque setting and bolt you needed to know about, but I can ask, they will likely need a vin to know all the specifics. But ill ask for a basics run down.

I imagine your vehicle will be almost entirely metric, by the time my 99 was made it was almost all metric.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Will do. I was thinking more like if there was a specific torque setting and bolt you needed to know about, but I can ask, they will likely need a vin to know all the specifics. But ill ask for a basics run down.

I imagine your vehicle will be almost entirely metric, by the time my 99 was made it was almost all metric.
Hi Erich,
Thanks for doing this, i am afriad I wont explain myself well and they will wonder who this crazy person is on the phone, I see so its not just about fastening size but also the torque required which from my recent learnings dictates wether you use a 1/4, 3/8 1/2 or 1 inch socket/wrench. I have been looking for this answer all over the place. I can send you the Vin by private message if they need it. Thanks agin for helping and the beers are on me one day!

thanks Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi to everyone on this thread and for all yoir help sofar, I know maore now than I did a week ago, its a steep learning curve but one that I am embracing.

In my quest for a list of tools and sizes, I have discovered an online website that sells E books for service and repair of vehicles.

My question is has anyone got experiance with E Manual Online or can recommend anything else similair?

I have sent them an email and awaiting an answer if the manual includes a list of tools and sizes, fingers crossed it has it, this would be worth the $27.

Best wishes

Amanda

1661354155434.png

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi to everyone on this thread and for all yoir help sofar, I know maore now than I did a week ago, its a steep learning curve but one that I am embracing.

In my quest for a list of tools and sizes, I have discovered an online website that sells E books for service and repair of vehicles.

My question is has anyone got experiance with E Manual Online or can recommend anything else similair?

I have sent them an email and awaiting an answer if the manual includes a list of tools and sizes, fingers crossed it has it, this would be worth the $27.

Best wishes

Amanda

View attachment 238941
Just heard back sadly it does not have a tool list.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
@Michael thanks for acting on my request for a new forum section dedicated to tools, so excited to see it grow, I have created a thread to get the part started. Is there any chance we can move this thread Hex Keys, Ratches, Sockets, Spanners & Wrenches into the overland tools in overland gear section? I think it would make more sence, but did not want to duplicate the same thread and confuse people. Best wishes for the weekend Amanda

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi, Amanda,

A beauty of a camper! I haven't seen it mentioned, so I will; pick up a 12v test lamp for chasing electrical gremlins. You can use a volt meter for various things, a test lamp gives you quick visual knowledge of if there is power or not. With long test leads you can be hooked to the battery in the engine bay and be testing in the rear lights.

Have fun, and no breakdowns!

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the reply and I checked out the item, it looks like it is well made, do you know this brand or have you used it/own one, sometimes things look good on amazon but dont deliver durability and longevity. shall we start a thread in the new section for electrical tools? I feel since Micheal has helped me set up this new forum section I should create some posts. What do you think would it be a useful? I know very little about electrical tools, the pros and cons and what to look out for when selecting one. Best wishes Amanda
PS forgot to mention cool rig and wonderful blog, hope to meet you on the trail one day :-)

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the reply and I checked out the item, it looks like it is well made, do you know this brand or have you used it/own one, sometimes things look good on amazon but dont deliver durability and longevity. shall we start a thread in the new section for electrical tools? I feel since Micheal has helped me set up this new forum section I should create some posts. What do you think would it be a useful? I know very little about electrical tools, the pros and cons and what to look out for when selecting one. Best wishes Amanda
PS forgot to mention cool rig and wonderful blog, hope to meet you on the trail one day :-)

Amanda, I know nothing about this brand, I picked it for the image and fact it has a long lead and comes with a small roll of tape. It's a very simple tool not much to go wrong, I still use the one I bought 15 years ago. Not much in the way of electrical tools that you can't do with a pocket knife and pliers, having the right tool makes it easier though, like a wire stripper/crimper. Other than that and a test lamp maybe some wire connectors (I use Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use! ) and electrical tape or shrink tubing. There are some youtube videos on how to use a test lamp.

With your distinctive camper don't be surprised when followed by a yellow Land Rover! ;^) gene

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Gene,

Thanks a yellow landrover and my boat/hobbit Tiny House going down the trail would turn heads I am sure! I let you know if I am heading your way! I will create the Electrical Thread and see where it goes, just trying to get some threads going that might be useful. Best wishes Amanda

Reactions: Sparksalot

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Amanda, I know nothing about this brand, I picked it for the image and fact it has a long lead and comes with a small roll of tape. It's a very simple tool not much to go wrong, I still use the one I bought 15 years ago. Not much in the way of electrical tools that you can't do with a pocket knife and pliers, having the right tool makes it easier though, like a wire stripper/crimper. Other than that and a test lamp maybe some wire connectors (I use Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use! ) and electrical tape or shrink tubing. There are some youtube videos on how to use a test lamp.

With your distinctive camper don't be surprised when followed by a yellow Land Rover! ;^) gene
Hi Gene, they look great, can you leave a comment about the connectors that you use, I set up a Electrical tool kit thread in Overland Tools, I will get some for my electrical tool kit. Have a great weekend Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

Hi Erich, Hope yoour doing well and looking forward to the weekend? I have good news to share, I asked @Michael if we could have a new section under Overland Gear for Overland Tools and he made it happen, I have set up a couple of fun threads to get the party going and would love your support in making members as welcome as you made me with my getting the sizes for my
Hex Keys, Ratches, Sockets, Spanners & Wrenches.

BTW did you manage to speak to your contact at the dealership? No problem if you have not, just was curious?

Best wishes

Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Please let me know when you will be around Phx, we have plenty of workspace, a spare bedroom and laundry can be done at our place.

On the Milwaukee tools....I love them!!!!
Some notes:
Make sure to buy from Home Depot or a registered vendor, the deals on Amazon and such might not give you warranty coverage.
Get mostly M12 but a few things should be M18 FUEL (and make sure it says FUEL).
The 3/8 stubby impact is AMAZING
250 ft/lbs will change your lug nuts I bet, and the compact size gets in tight places.

The same charger works for M12 & M18 and I have a dc one that work in a cig lighter socket if you don't have an inverter.

Of course you SHOULD use impact sockets, but I will tell you I have beat the snot out of my Tekton regular sockets with my Mikwaukee and there are all fine.
Once you know the sizes you are most often going to impact then order just those get this flip impact set
I use an 3/8 to 1/2 adapter just fine.

Make sure to get a Tekton torque wrench also, this will cover the majority of your needs, you can step to the one what goes to 250lbs but there are only a couple of things I can think of that high and not worth the extra money
Hi Lance

I Hope yoour doing well and looking forward to the weekend? I have good news to share, I asked @Michael if we could have a new section under Overland Gear for Overland Tools and he made it happen, I have set up a couple of fun threads to get the party going and would love your support in making members as welcome as you made me with my getting the sizes for my

BTW Hope I can make it to Phoenix and meet you this fall, thanks for the invite.

Best wishes

Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Amanda,

I have an incomplete list of socket sizes, related to thier locations and torque specs, however my list is related to a 2014 GMC Sierra. I'm sure a lot has stayed the same though some may be different
Hi Andrew,

I Hope yoour doing well and looking forward to the weekend? I have good news to share, I asked @Michael if we could have a new section under Overland Gear for Overland Tools and he made it happen, I have set up a couple of fun threads to get the party going and would love your support in making members as welcome as you made me with my getting the sizes for my

BTW I am considering entering the US near Kingston, Ontario as its close to where my truck is stored in Oshawa and avoids the mad GTA area and the busy crossings at Niagra and Windsor and heading down to OK4wd
2621 NJ-57, Stewartsville, NJ 08886, United States. If you happen to be near New York State border would be great to meet up or if not do you know any trails that I should check out on my route?

Best wishes

Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
That's a cool camper. It's got character.
I carry a set of standard and metric. Because.......Ford. LOL
I would take a few hours and go over the truck and see what sizes you need and what you don't. I have a bunch of 7/8/9 mm bolts that drive me nuts. Then there are the other bolts, nuts, screws and pushpins on things like the alternator, water pump and or dash and interior etc.
You should prepare for what you may have to do on a trail, or a parking lot as per your ability. there are some things you just can't fix.
Zim
Hi Dave,
I Hope your doing well and looking forward to the weekend? I have good news to share, I asked @Michael if we could have a new section under Overland Gear for Overland Tools and he made it happen, I have set up a couple of fun threads to get the party going and would love your support in making members as welcome as you made me with my getting the sizes for my

I hope that your trip went well that you were going on? Catch you soon when heading through Missouri later this year.

Best wishes

Amanda

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Hi Erich, Hope yoour doing well and looking forward to the weekend? I have good news to share, I asked @Michael if we could have a new section under Overland Gear for Overland Tools and he made it happen, I have set up a couple of fun threads to get the party going and would love your support in making members as welcome as you made me with my getting the sizes for my

BTW did you manage to speak to your contact at the dealership? No problem if you have not, just was curious?

Best wishes

Amanda
Amanda,

Thats most excellent! I have had really good experiences with Michael so far, he seems genuine in every interaction I’ve seen or had. Im glad you thought I was welcoming and am happy to jump in.

I have not had a chance to get into the specifics with Reynolds since our last interaction, Ive been up in Bend and at our cabin in Oregon. I will be visiting Reynold’s when i get back though. I was going to be back by now but with the heatwave our cabin is much nicer so i decided to just stay for a few more days. Hope all is well and once i get back ill reach out to get the vin so we can get specifics, ill be asking them if there are known issues and what would be recommended both as a comprehensive list an as a need to get home list.

Reactions: Amanda C

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I know the thread was started over a week ago so not sure if you managed to select the tools you need yet. Many of the sizes for the 1/2 ton Chevy/GMCs are the same starting in '99/'00.

The main ones to have are:
*1/2" Drive Sockets:
-22mm[7/8"] - lug nuts (if still original), tie rods, lower ball joints.
-36mm[1 7/16"] - axle nuts
-18mm- brake caliper bracket bolts, upper ball joints, misc others.
-15mm - wheel hub bolts, misc engine, frame, skid plate and suspension hardware.
-T55 Torx - some calipers are mounted to the bracket with these fasteners.

*Note that if parts have been replaced such as balljoints, etc., the aftermarket nuts/bolts might be larger/smaller than factory. As an example, most lower ball joint nuts for the 1/2 tons are 22mm but some replacement nuts are 24mm.

For 3/8" drive sockets, you'll likely need 8,10,13,15,16,18,19mm depending what you touch under the hood and elsewhere (12+14mm are also common replacement sizes), so just buy a kit. Not enough weight savings to justify only carrying certain sizes.

Wrenches are also best to have a complete metric set. You never know what you need. Basically 8mm thru 24mm, skipping a 23mm since it's super rare. (And yes, 11mm is a must for ujoint strap bolts, lol)

There won't be any Allen (hex) sizes as far as I recall and if there are, a regular set of keys will do. So don't worry about buying Allen sockets.

Use your space requirements and best judgement on ratchets. I recommend 1 good sized (24+ inch) 1/2" breaker bar and 1 ratchet for each drive size you carry, but different lengths can be useful if not completely necessary.

Hope this is useful and not just overwhelming.