Contributor I

Buford, GA, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
West
Member #

Hey Everyone!
I have just joined Overland Bound as a member. I am completely new to overlanding, but I have been car camping for years. I have a stock Subaru XV Crosstrek, so I thought being under quarantine would be a great time to do research about gear and car parts. I'm in the North Atlanta area so if anyone is from the area, I'd love some advise about the Georgia Traverse Trail and where to start. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there once this is all over!

20200413_122803.jpg

Reactions: eagle_A40

zimm

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Virginia, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Zimmerman
I did the GA traverse with 4 others last fall. It was great. We downloaded the maps and routes from the GA traverse website. I loaded the track into the mapping app Gaia and that helped a lot. I also zoomed in on each section, took a screen shot and printed it so I had a paper flip chart. By creeping along the track via google maps I wrote down the gas stations and restaurant locations on the paper chart. That made the trip much easier to execute and didn't require cell service to figure out where to have lunch or fill up.

Also cross-check the route with the GA state forest website as it has up to date road closures. There were a few that were closed for us, but it was easy enough to bypass or take a different route.

We went East to West. There is a couple of creek crossings that'll give you a pucker factor in the Subaru, but the rest is do-able with your car. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Attachments